• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bag transfer and storage

Romalban

Time of past OR future Camino
2019 Camino Portugal
Does any know how we can send our backpacks from Lisbon to Santiago and have them stored until we finish our walk.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not an answer to the specific question but, in responding to those who pose a similar question, I ask the question “why?”. There may, of course, be very valid reasons for forwarding baggage but, in the spirit of the Camino, I encourage subscription to the view that you carry all you need.
Here I tend to be very much a minimalist, without compromising on safety, wearing light weight gear, resorting to making additional purchases en route, if needs be, invariably from street markets, and discarding (responsibly!) unwanted garments as and when. As a rule of thumb I carry only a pack which can be conveyed as cabin baggage on flights (from UK).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In answer to those who might ask 'why?' I would reply, why question what others want/need to do? In my case although I was able to carry my backpack on the Frances, I can no longer carry even a daypack because of spinal issues. The reasons for carrying a backpack or not are nobody else's business. We each walk our own Camino.

You are right, of course, Kiwi-d. Possibly, if you re-read my comments you will see that I acknowledge there are, for some, very valid reasons for forwarding baggage. Indeed, as a guy approaching 80 years, I now sometimes forward myself along with my pack!
The point I am making is essentially for those making their initial pilgrimage, to reflect on what they choose to take with them with a view to being, as far as is reasonably possible, independent of porterage!
We do indeed “travel our our own pilgrimage” but we also want to discourage tourists using pilgrims’ accommodation - an increasing trend which I have witnessed over the past 20 years!

We do indeed “travel our our own pilgrimage” but we also want to discourage tourists using pilgrims’ accommodation - an increasing trend which I have witnessed over the past 20 years!
I guess it depends on what you mean by "tourist". I haven't seen many people at all using pilgrims' accommodation who weren't in possession of a credencial and proceeding towards Santiago. Do you mean people who are not travelling for religious reasons? I'm not so sure that is necessary. The cathedral itself now does not require it, giving out Compostelas to people who claim "spiritual" rather than religious reasons. And many who do not start looking for a spiritual or religious experience find that they have recieved one before it is done. In either case, how could we tell that looking from the outside? Or are you a tourist rather than a pilgrim if you choose to travel in some comfort rather than maximizing your hardship? Firstly, those who do are less likely to stay in albergue dorms. Secondly, while some pilgrims may be ascetics, that has never been the case for all pilgrims (as anyone who has read the Canterbury Tales can attest).

Personally, I prefer a more generous view of pilgrims. I consider anyone a pilgrim who considers themself so (and some who do not). This leads me not to see or be concerned with a growing number of tourists in pilgrim accomodation over the last thirty years.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No, David, my comments re tourists is nothing to do with religion!
You will know that to be in possession of credential is not a challenge and, having completed some twenty or so Caminos I am fully aware of the alternative Compostela issued at Santiago.
Possibly you have not witnessed what I consider the blatant abuse of pilgrim accommodation. However, over the years I have seen the “weekenders” and even parties deploying their own minibus transportation between stops (donning their packs shortly before arriving at an Albergue to appear genuine!) while touring.
This does concern me given the ever increasing pressure on accommodation from the true pilgrims. And, on that point, I guess we have to disagree!

Not an answer to the specific question but, in responding to those who pose a similar question, I ask the question “why?”. There may, of course, be very valid reasons for forwarding baggage but, in the spirit of the Camino, I encourage subscription to the view that you carry all you need.
Here I tend to be very much a minimalist, without compromising on safety, wearing light weight gear, resorting to making additional purchases en route, if needs be, invariably from street markets, and discarding (responsibly!) unwanted garments as and when. As a rule of thumb I carry only a pack which can be conveyed as cabin baggage on flights (from UK).

@Romalban asked about sending bags from Lisbon directly to Santiago and having them stored there. They didn't ask about daily backpack transport. (at least that's my understanding)

@Romalban asked about sending bags from Lisbon directly to Santiago and having them stored there. They didn't ask about daily backpack transport. (at least that's my understanding)
Possibly that is why the posted comment commenced with the seven words that it did!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes indeed I did ask about sending baggage through for storage and not my daily backpack. We are more then happy to carry our small daily backpacks on our Camino. My reason for the question is that we are traveling in several different countries over four months a require extra gear. We do not wish to lug any extra on the Comino then needed.

Yes indeed I did ask about sending baggage through for storage and not my daily backpack. We are more then happy to carry our small daily backpacks on our Camino. My reason for the question is that we are traveling in several different countries over four months a require extra gear. We do not wish to lug any extra on the Comino then needed.
I almost always send a suitcase to Santiago from my starting point, but haven't had to send it from Portugal yet.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back