• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bag Transport Besancon to Lucca.

JenniFromCali

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2012), Camino del Norte (2013), VdLP (2014), Arles & Portuguese (YE 2015)
Greetings!

Is anyone aware of bag transport on the Via Francigena, from Besancon to Lucca?

Thank you 🙏🏼
Jennifer

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Perhaps @timr or @Harington know something about this. I walked it in 2015 so I am out of touch but I doubt there is enough demand for a regular baggage service. Especially on the French and Swiss sections.
Sorry I have never used it and never had reason to enquire. I know there is some baggage transfer in the Italian parts, probably in Umbria, Tuscany & Lazio. I would be surprised if there were any in France as the demand would be too low. Some people make private individual arrangements with taxis, but I think this would be quite expensive on a regular basis.
In fact the section from Lucca onward is probably the best served. The question is often asked here, without any definitive answer I think. The numbers are so radically different from the main Camino routes in Spain, that the demand would be radically less.
Look at Bagsfree and Sloways

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry I have never used it and never had reason to enquire. I know there is some baggage transfer in the Italian parts, probably in Umbria, Tuscany & Lazio. I would be surprised if there were any in France as the demand would be too low. Some people make private individual arrangements with taxis, but I think this would be quite expensive on a regular basis.
In fact the section from Lucca onward is probably the best served. The question is often asked here, without any definitive answer I think. The numbers are so radically different from the main Camino routes in Spain, that the demand would be radically less.
Look at Bagsfree and Sloways
Thank you once again @timr We had already connected with Bagsfree and plan to use them from Lucca on. If we happen to find bag transport before Luca I’ll post details here. I’m doubtful we will and plan to use public transport to get to Lucca. We had planned to walk but I had unexpected surgery just prior to leaving the states. Thank you again!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you once again @timr We had already connected with Bagsfree and plan to use them from Lucca on. If we happen to find bag transport before Luca I’ll post details here. I’m doubtful we will and plan to use public transport to get to Lucca. We had planned to walk but I had unexpected surgery just prior to leaving the states. Thank you again!
Oh take extra care and be gentle with yourself.
Have a wonderful time. Buon cammino. Tim

@JenniFromCali
I have just seen these two companies mentioned on a FB thread, but note that the OP is talking about luggage transfer for a large-ish party. (And I know you are now planning to start in Lucca, so not so relevant now. ) But they mention smaller groups too.

https://bocustaxi.ch/en/

We had a really good experience with Bagsfree for luggage storage in Rome. Nice to have clean (and different) clothes when we arrived.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
After all the research of bag transport companies I ended up finding a trolley in Fucecchio and it’s been great so far. Handles the rocks ok but wheels get tangled up in long grass. Fellow pilgrims have helped carry up steps but overall a life-saver.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.