• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Baggage advice

briggsbunny

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte; 2019
Well I have packed my bag with all the essentials and will start walking from Irun in the middle of June. I am a little worried as my 36 l pack is stuffed full and is quite heavy and I won't be able to walk with it as I planned. Any thoughts?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
36L capacity should be ample for a summer camino though that of course depends on many factors including your own build - big men wear big clothes that don't pack down so easy. Heavy is a relative as well. A newly packed rucksack swung on to the shoulders for the first time is always surprisingly heavy (and some would say even heavier on Day 2 of the Camino).

Take it all out again and divide into two piles. One the stuff you will definitely need: a change of clothes; towel, soap & a toothbrush.... The other, all the stuff you are taking "just in case". Re-pack, repeat :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Once you start out, if you are in Spain, many of us will mail any items identified as surplus to needs, or just too damn heavy, to Ivar in Santiago. He operates a very convenient “warehouse” where he holds all manner of things shipped or mailed to him to hold.

About the only thing I cannot recall seeing in six years, is a shrink-wrapped spouse... just sayin...

Alternatively, if you have a hotel reservation at Santiago (you should BTW), you could contact them to ask if they will accept and hold a parcel for your arrival. I have never been refused.

Finally, if the item is of low value, or a consumable item, consider donating it at the nearest Albergue.

Assess, adapt, overcome...

We ALL have packed and carried too much at some point in our collective Camino experiences. It is sort of the “original sin” of the Camino. I suspect it is anxiety about the unknown and inexperience that causes overpacking.

With experience, you will learn too. The forum can help you avoid some of these packing issues. But, in the end, most all of us end up lightening our load. There is no shame to self second-guessing...

I have personally dumped the entire contents of my rucksack on the post office floor in a Pamplona to hold a field-tear down and repack. On my first few Caminos, I mailed so many Cana Verde Medianas to Ivar that he jokingly gave me his Camino Idiot’s discount. We are talking like one box a week for a month. I guess I was a slow learner..,

Hope this helps.

Once you start out, if you are in Spain, many of us will mail any items identified as surplus to needs, or just too damn heavy, to Ivar in Santiago. He operates a very convenient “warehouse” where he holds all manner of things shipped or mailed to him to hold.

About the only thing I cannot recall seeing in six years, is a shrink-wrapped spouse... just sayin...

Alternatively, if you have a hotel reservation at Santiago (you should BTW), you could contact them to ask if they will accept and hold a parcel for your arrival. I have never been refused.

Finally, if the item is of low value, or a consumable item, consider donating it at the nearest Albergue.

We ALL have packed and carried too much at some point in our collective Camino experiences. It is sort of the “original sin” of the Camino. I suspect it is anxiety about the unknown and inexperience that causes overpacking.

With experience, you will learn too. The forum can help you avoid some of these packing issues. But, in the end, most all of us end up lightening our load. There is no shame to self second-guessing...

I have personally dumped the entire contents of my rucksack on the post office floor in a Pamplona to hold a field-tear down and repack. On my first few Caminos, I mailed so many Cana Verde Medianas to Ivar that he jokingly gave me his Camino Idiot’s discount. We are talking like one box a week for a month. I guess I was a slow learner..,

Hope this helps.
What is Cana Verde Medianas?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well I have packed my bag with all the essentials and will start walking from Irun in the middle of June. I am a little worried as my 36 l pack is stuffed full and is quite heavy and I won't be able to walk with it as I planned. Any thoughts?
My thoughts are that you should reduce your stuff :p ! It is hard to be more specific unless you tell us what you are taking. We can certainly help you reduce your list, if you post it. How heavy is it, and what are you comfortable carrying for a few hours?

Sure your quandary is familiar to all of us, and many carry too much on their first camino, but many others people happily get it more or less right the first time. (I did, thanks to good advice on the forum.) Packing a box at the correos is not a necessary rite of passage, although it is very entertaining afterwards. :D 36L should be enough for a summer camino, unless you have special circumstances that need to be taken into account.

Last edited:

Hope this helps.
Thanks it really does!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I started with 9 kilos in hondarribia. Walked to orio and posted 2 kilos to ivar. Then walked to san vicente and posted another 2kgs. My pack weighs 1.8 kilos. Next time i would carry a lighter pack and less stuff again. In the end i walked in the one set of clothes every day and just washed them out each night. When i opened the packs i sent to ivar i had to laugh at myself for including the extra weight. Definitely wouldnt worry about anything u can get from a chemist coz they are everywhere. I wore Hoka shoes (lightweight sturdy trainers). Im from Australia. Next time i would prepare a pack of post camino clothes/gear and send to ivar once in spain (the reason my pack was so heavy).

I walked the Norte in March and took far too much kit. You need to be warm and dry however, there are washing machines and laundries (€5 a go) and you will have plenty of places to stay. You won’t need a tent. 10kg is enough with lots of food stops. Take two litres of water (one for emergencies) and fill up at every single waterstop. You can also fill up at bars and cafe’s. I started with 5 ltr’s but got it down to two. I sent stuff home and great expense as I simple didn’t need so much. You do need a couple of pairs of new good quality socks and foot powder to help dry your feet. Clothes just day wear and one set for evening. Wash wash night or two days. Something very light to sleep in. And a sleeping bag.

What is Cana Verde Medianas?

Caja Verde refers to the “family” of corrugated boxes the Correos sells for you to ship your stuff in. These boxes have a folding and tape seal system, although I find a little extra shipping tape comes in handy. My kit always includes a small remainder of a small roll of the clear 2” wide tape.

Mediana refers to the size. It is about the size of a man’s large shoe box (smaller than a hiking boot box). It will hold most anything you need to ship.

Hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I started with 9 kilos in hondarribia. Walked to orio and posted 2 kilos to ivar. Then walked to san vicente and posted another 2kgs. My pack weighs 1.8 kilos. Next time i would carry a lighter pack and less stuff again. In the end i walked in the one set of clothes every day and just washed them out each night. When i opened the packs i sent to ivar i had to laugh at myself for including the extra weight. Definitely wouldnt worry about anything u can get from a chemist coz they are everywhere. I wore Hoka shoes (lightweight sturdy trainers). Im from Australia. Next time i would prepare a pack of post camino clothes/gear and send to ivar once in spain (the reason my pack was so heavy).

Gee, your experience sounds EXACTLY like mine, again and again...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Take two litres of water (one for emergencies) and fill up at every single waterstop. You can also fill up at bars and cafe’s.
I second @Dladders advice to take sufficient water and refill at every waterstop, for every camino except possibly the Frances. The problem with water is that: 1. You need it; 2. It is very heavy to carry; 3. There is a tendency to not weigh it and include it when planning the pack weight; 4. On many camino routes, the supply of water is irregular and sometimes unreliable. Fuentes (public water fountains) marked on a map may be dried up, not potable, or diverted by the locals to some other use. 5. It is. to some extent, a seasonal need. Walking in June, you will need lots of water but the supply may be unexpectedly limited. Don't get caught short.

Personally, I never needed to carry more than a liter of water on the Norte. In addition to fountains, you can get water at bars along the way.

I appreciate what you say, but everyone is different. Their hydration needs are vastly different. IMHO, it is better to have too much water and not need it, rather than need it and not have it.

I have personally taken three 'dirt naps' from fainting while on Camino. Afterwards, a full medical workup determined the likely cause to have been dehydration.

Even though I did not feel thirsty, I was not drinking - force drinking - enough water for my organs to function. My brain shunted my blood pressure to my organs to protect me. This is what the brain does... The consequence was immediate onset syncope or fainting. Lesson learned.

Since this, I carry Nuun brand rehydration tablets I obtain in a runner's shop. Whether or not I am thirsty, I mix a rehydration drink and consume it late morning every day I am walking. Eating a banana or and orange would do as much for many people. But the tablets are more convenient, and the plastic tube container of 10 tablets fits in my rucksack waist pocket. Crack the tablets in two to fit through a water bottle neck.

I also carry an extra .5 liter water bottle, for my use, or to share with other pilgrims in need. On 'dry' stretches, like the Meseta, I will usually strap an extra 1.5 liter bottle of water to the top of my rucksack to share with other pilgrims who did not get the memo about carrying enough water.

Hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Caja Verde refers to the “family” of corrugated boxes the Correos sells for you to ship your stuff in. These boxes have a folding and tape seal system, although I find a little extra shipping tape comes in handy. My kit always includes a small remainder of a small roll of the clear 2” wide tape.

Mediana refers to the size. It is about the size of a man’s large shoe box (smaller than a hiking boot box). It will hold most anything you need to ship.

Hope this helps.
I feel like an expert now! I have never had to ship anything but if I ever do....!!!!

Last year packing for my first summer camino, I had at home two backpacks - Ferrino Rambler 75 L and Vaude Vizard 18+4 L daypack. 75 L seemed too much. 22 L seemed too small. But new good backpack costs some money.
I am a person, who needs comfort. So my packing list was long, long, long. This list is in this forum somewhere in my another post.
But anyway, I started to calculate, how to fit everything into my tiny backpack. And at the end of the day, after I had replaced some items with lighter or smaller ones, I managed to pack everything and had still some space left. And I was much better off with terms of cost and weight instead of replacing my backpack.
So my advice is - take 20 L bag and start packing and repacking and replacing items until everything fits in.
Later on you can put contents of this bag into your original backpack, whatever size backpack you have unless you original backpack is less when 20 L.

€46,-
I second @Dladders advice to take sufficient water and refill at every waterstop, for every camino except possibly the Frances. The problem with water is that: 1. You need it; 2. It is very heavy to carry; 3. There is a tendency to not weigh it and include it when planning the pack weight; 4. On many camino routes, the supply of water is irregular and sometimes unreliable. Fuentes (public water fountains) marked on a map may be dried up, not potable, or diverted by the locals to some other use. 5. It is. to some extent, a seasonal need. Walking in June, you will need lots of water but the supply may be unexpectedly limited. Don't get caught short.
I also used a filter in my one litre bottle as Sri king from fountains was a worry maybe it should not have been but I could also drink from streams as needed that way too. 1ltr is 1kg

I also used a filter in my one litre bottle as Sri king from fountains was a worry maybe it should not have been but I could also drink from streams as needed that way too. 1ltr is 1kg
I carry a paper of water purification tablets from the Red Cross in my kit. It weights very little and ensures that I can drink water from questionable sources. But I have never done so yet.

I carry a paper of water purification tablets from the Red Cross in my kit. It weights very little and ensures that I can drink water from questionable sources. But I have never done so yet.
Hmmmm purification tablets I am not so keen on. In an emergency maybe but I think (I may be wrong) that it’s effectively a poison of some concentration of chlorine or other. I filtered every drop I drank and the weight was a limited additional burden. I took Imodium too but never used it. I hope the carbon filter was god enough. Spain is a European nation so I suspect all the water is very clean. Springs can be contaminated and streams too all by accident so. But hey. I wouldn’t use purification tablets, you still want the bits of crud out of the water and as many bugs as possible.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Elevation map shows this is really steep! What’s the best way from downtown Hondarribia up there? Then wish me luck on the Purgatorio—I am a nervous wreck.
My group of six arrives in Irun on May 20 and we're starting our Camino on May 21. Since it's the beginning of the busy season, I'm wondering if we should order trekking poles from Amazon Espana...
On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.