• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Baggage transfers le Puy route?

madwen

hi, i'm getting ready for my first camino experience, and was recommended to try the le puy route first, i hope to leave around april 17, and walk for at least two weeks, to conques or beyond...

i'm worried my back/feet/knees any or all won't be up to carrying even 8k up and down hills, i live in wales so i know what hills are! i'm 62 now and haven't done a long walk like this on my own, and i know i'm not as fit as i might be.

can anyone tell me about the existence of baggage transfer services on this route, in case i need it, whereby my main rucksack could be whisked to my destination whilst i slowly make my way along the route? i really need to know, as this option would involve having two rucksacks, a day bag and another, larger bag, i guess.

if i knew this wasn't an option, i would just take the bare minimum, but even bare minimums tend to be heavy-o, in my experience.
thanks, from madwen

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
madwen,
There are baggage transfer services on the Le Puy route, and they transport a pack for about 8 Euro a day. One such service is advertised here http://www.chemindecompostelle.com/transportsclaudine/index.html but you will possibly find other services advertised in the gites. Taking a 'bare minimum' might not be enough mid-April- as there are several high points, including the Aubrac Plateau, where you might even encounter snow. (I walked at a similar time in 2008 and it snowed twice.)
Margaret

You'll be fine! Really! Do pay attention to your pack weight, so that you will have the margin for water and two days' food over those long markets-are-closed weekends. It is lovely scenery and you will have a terrific trip. I walked that section in Sept 2010. Also, those transport services will transport pilgrims when your knees give out. In two weeks' walking you can make it from Le Puy to Figeac.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
thanks so much for both of those responses! i feel really like i am joining a family of people who are more like me than many who are in my life at the moment, people who enjoy walking and being outside and being on the road, 'nothing behind me, everything in front of me', people who like a challenge beyond the humdrum.

i will try and find a piggy back solution to my rucksacks so i can take a reasonably useful day bag but don't have to carry all my 'potatoes' with me everywhere ( in the advice about rucksacks people always advise you to carry x kilos of potatoes around with you for 6 hours without sitting down much).

thanks kisambler for the advice about food at weekends

kiwi nomad thanks, i had already looked at your trip in 2008 and was really drawn into it, i may walk in your shoes for a while.

madwen said:
kiwi nomad thanks, i had already looked at your trip in 2008 and was really drawn into it, i may walk in your shoes for a while.
Thanks madwen. I wouldn't advise walking in my 2008 shoes though. After the walk from Le Puy, they were pretty worn around the ankles, and they have since been confined to lawnmowing and gardening duties. :shock: But you and me, both, can share the paths trodden by pilgrims past!
Margaret

Madwen, there was more than one service operating when I did the le Puy route (taking much inspiration from the Nomad's blog). Asking around in any major town, especially Le Puy, and keeping an eye out for pilgrims without backpacks, you'll find something.

Baggage transfer is something I'd like to try one day, especially on a rolling scenic route like the Chemin du Puy. You may be more limited in where you can stay, but sometimes the service will also help out a little with bookings, or at least offer advice, since they know the route well.

Of course, I'd also like to stay in Paradors and eat 50 euro meals at least twice a day. But that's just me.

Hey, the main thing is you are going to do the Le Puy route. Do you realise how good that is?

Go for it

Rob

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Madwen, I'd keep the weight to a minimum and use baggage transfer if you need to. You might find that you can manage most days but want to use a transfer service when you hit a long stage or you're feeling a bit footsore.

Including the weight of your backpack, you should be able to leave home with less than 5kg. When you start walking, you'll need to add food and water to that.

If you take two backpacks, you're really committing yourself to using baggage transfer. On the days that you do use it, you'll have very little to carry. Why not use a plastic bag? Alternatively take a tiny lightweight (unlined) backpack that squashes into nothing and weighs the same.

it's really good to keep seeing new posts here, as my spirit needs quite a lot of support in order to get me going and trust in my journey, which process, as you will all understand, began the moment i decided i would 'go for it' on the camino.

julie i'm not sure a little lightweight foldup bag would do me. doing everyday walks here in wales i usually carry nearly 3k, what with water, extra socks,plasters etc, raincoat or poncho, possibly a light fleece or other top, camera, snacks, sketchbook (optional i agree). water itself is heavy to start with, one litre weighing a kilo, and whatever is carried it must be in a good bag which doesn't pull on the shoulders. but yes i wonder if i might be alright with carrying my whole bag if it fits well and i can resort to the baggage service if i need it!

robertt, thanks for your input too, i'm very much in two minds about it all, it would be good to hear from someone who has actually used baggage transfer and what bags they used!

:roll:

julie said:
Madwen, I'd keep the weight to a minimum and use baggage transfer if you need to. You might find that you can manage most days but want to use a transfer service when you hit a long stage or you're feeling a bit footsore.

Would like to reiterate that this service is also available in an unplanned emergency. We found in April/May 2008, that gite reservations were essential after May Day. It was often advisable to make reservations for several days in row. This situation locked one in to making a certain distance each day. If one felt very tired when arriving at a gite at the end of an etape, had bad blisters, etc., the gite proprietor might well be able to arrange with Transbagage or another service to transport your pack the next day, permitting you to progress with only a bottle of water and apple or something for lunch. Similarly, the one service advertized that it could also transport an injured or sick pelerin along with the sac a dos.

Buen camino :idea:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just a few more companies to investigate:

Baggage:

On the Chemin du Puy – d’Aire sur l’Adour to Roncesvalles. Links daily between Navarrenx and Roncesvalles.
People: From Le Puy en Velay: ex d’Aire sur l’Adour to Roncesvalles
In Spain: (Camino Frances or other destinations) Home – back to the airport / train stations in the Midi-Pyrenees http://www.taxi-ostibarret.fr/
jean-claude.lafuente@nordnet.fr

Factage – three sections – Transporting baggage and pilgrims factage.free.fr/
Le Puy to Figeac: Factage E2R – factage@free.fr
Figeac to Roncesvalles: Express Bourricot – apcaroline@hotmail.com

La Malle Postalle transports your luggage from stage to stage on the Chemin de Saint Jacques de Compostela between Le Puy en Velay and Conques
http://www.lamallepostale.com/accueil/accueil.asp
contact@lamallepostale.com

Lacoquille – People and baggage: Chemin du Puy – Chemin du Arles – Rocamadour http://www.lacoquilletransport.fr/ la.coquille @ orange.fr

Lauzerte - transport of luggage or people, etc.
http://www.lauzerte-tourisme.fr/web/62- ... aronne.php Transport for pilgrims
– Taxi Lorette 05 63 94 77 00.
– Taxi Victor 05 63 94 65 66.

Transport of luggage and pilgrims
– Taxi Bas Quercy Autos – Fréjabise Transport of luggage and pilgrims (between Montcuq and Auvillar) estimate on request.
Maryline Fréjabise – 82390 Durfort Lacapelette Tél: 05 63 04 56 56 & 06 87 064 066, bqa@wanadoo.fr
– Rapid-Bag (from Le Puy en Velay to Saint Jean Pied de Port) 05 63 04 22 98 & rapid_bag82@hotmail.fr

thank you sillydoll, seems to be quite a lot of businesses wanting to transport luggage, and maybe it will come in very handy! i now have to get my head around phones and booking ahead, my french still rusty, fears of being overwhelmed. but as a friend who has walked this route said to me 'people are very kind on this pilgrimage' !

If you have your cell phone and the numbers, ask the landlord or landlady where you are staying to do the booking for you. When I walked from Paris to Spain I found people very obliging and no one ever refused.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
La Malle Postale operate out of Le Puy and I am told are wonderful...Gitti

Thanks for the info about La Coquille, André.

The publishers of my Camino planning book YOUR CAMINO have just done an update of the print version and will only do another one at the end of the year.
I will make a note to delete them from the book and will put a notice on the website http://www.yourcamino.weebly.com

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back