• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bathing

Eleanor

Hola,
Have been reading 'gear' lists, etc. and see no mention of swimming costrumes or bathing in rivers. I usually find a rivers where I may swim. Is nobody swimming en route? Curious.
Eleanor

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Most towns of any size have municipal pools that cost a couple of euros. A lot of the time they insist on you wearing a swimming cap but they'll sell you one if you forget yours. My favourite pool is at Portomarin.

In other places it's possible to swim in the river. You can do this at Vega de Valcarce, and Sarria along with other places that don't come to mind at the moment.

Don't forget suncream!

yes swimming is good, wearing panties and bra. !!!! (sports bra) It takes a canadian!!!! but when it is hot who cares.Enjoy, and remember to soak your feet in all rivers!
dawn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tip - Look out for signs for "Playa Fluvial". These are areas where it's safe to bathe in the river. I just remembered there was a good one at Cacabelos. It even had a diving board!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Brr, we didn't even soak our feet in January, our big water treat was occasionally finding somewhere to stay with a hot bath. But we saw lots of places where we said "Wouldn't that be lovely to put your feet in in the summer". Are the rivers and streams clean enough for swimming along the woodland paths, my guess is that many of them would be in the more remote places.

Hola eyeryone,
Thanks for all your comments about bathing, and Wallyranger for the notes on the spots he knows about. I shall mark them in my guide book.

Dawn: Bra and pants will be fine, or less if nobody is around. But as a plump 61 year-old with a balance problem I cannot make a quick run for cover. Sil also suggests bikini type underwear to wear at all times. Wish I had my 20's figure back again. Am I being too optimistic thinking I will tone up all the flab? Maybe if I get to walk the 816 klms. from Somport to Santiago de Compostella. Here's hoping!
And Magnara: If ever you are walking near Tiermes on N.240 nr. Monasterio de Leire in the winter, if there has been a dry summer the Roman Baths appear again on the edge of the Pantano de Yesa, when the level of the dam drops. Theyre are hot sulphur springs and people bath there, sometimes nude, maybe surrounded by snow covered land! Amazing. Went there once but in company of my non-bathing, conservative Spanish family. Had to behave myself. Pity.
Another time!
Eleanor

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are good swimming spots at San Justo de la Vega, just before Astorga, and in the river at Mansilla las Mulas. Pilgrim attire varied by nationality, apparently non-existent with the Germans, French-Canadians and Spanish, and more demurely by English-speakers. I saw a nice spot just by the bridge in Monreal (the Camino Aragones) but did not take advantage of it.

There is also good public pool near the albergue in the park on the western outskirts of Burgos-- when I was there in 2005, the attendant let me in for free.

Oh Eleanor, the hot suphur springs baths sound so good!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The albergue in Ribadiso do Baixo is right beside a shallow river/creek. There's a nice concrete platform with steps down to the water where you can bask in the sun in your bikinis while you see pilgrims going downhill towards the albergue. One of the people I was walking with actually did that. She probably knew about the spot because the moment we arrived at the albergue she dropped her pants and went straight to the water in her bikini, shouting "Hola chicos!" to the guys on the road.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.