• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed Bug Spray in SJPdP

Steve Hackman

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015, 2017)
Muxia & Fisterra (2015)
Via Francigena (2018)
Camino Portuguese (2020)
Hi all,

I leave for my first Camino in 3 weeks and this may sound like a silly question but I keep reading how I should spray my sleeping bag liner and back pack with a bug spray but I haven't found said "camping" spray in Hong Kong where I'm coming from. Is this type of item available at a Camino hiking shop in St. Jean?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Steve, have you asked for Permethrin? The first time I got bitten by bedbugs it was in Happy Valley, so I'm sure there must be some permethrin available.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Steve,
I understand your concern about bed-bugs, however, unless you are planning on walking from 3 weeks time through to late May, by all accounts they are unlikely to be active during your Camino.

Buen(bite-free) Camino

Steve,
I understand your concern about bed-bugs, however, unless you are planning on walking from 3 weeks time through to late May, by all accounts they are unlikely to be active during your Camino.

Buen(bite-free) Camino
Wonderful to hear John!

they are unlikely to be active during your Camino
They are around all year. They are less active in cold albergues, but do just fine in the warm ones. They tend to spread more rapidly during the summer because there are more pilgrims to hitchhike with! I have seen bed bugs in early March and late November.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Steve, do note that having sprayed your bag / Back-pack & whatever these need to be thoroughly dry before being handled and packed. Unless you are planning on hanging out in SJpdP while hoping for a sunny day then it will be well worth your effort to get your kit treated before you leave home. Its also worth remembering that air-port transit hotels are as much a home to the little b*ggers as any Albergue.

This appears to be a HK based supplier: http://www.biokill.com.hk/products_bku.php

Buen (bite free) Camino

They are around all year. They are less active in cold albergues, but do just fine in the warm ones. They tend to spread more rapidly during the summer because there are more pilgrims to hitchhike with! I have seen bed bugs in early March and late November.

Always happy to learn, thanks Falcon.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Steve,

I am a believer in Permethrin treatment of clothing and gear -- you have a couple of choices and actually I use both -- the spray and the clothing treatment (soak) -- have used the military stuff and it is great, just hard to find in the civilian side of the house -- Sawyer is probably the way to go -- they have a spray you can use on your backpack and sleeping bag -- the Sawyer "Premium Inset Repellent Clothing Treatment" kit is very similar to the Military kit and great for treating clothing -- this treatment kit is is good for 42 days or 6 washings (I have actually treated clothes with the Military Kit that pretty much lasted a year -- so think the Sawyer will last longer than advertised) -- once you air dry your kit -- it is good to go -- from all I have read and experienced no harm to humans (IF your follow the instructions! -- not sure if loss of hair has been due to the Permethrin or old age -- would like to blame the Permethrin, but science would probably prove me wrong : { ) -- zaps bugs (ticks, bedbugs, mosquitoes, no see ems, and probably ladybugs (sorry), etc..) -- I found a web site that ships overseas -- I use an APO so not sure how that will work for others -- the name of the site is "domyownpestcontrol.com" -- I know of no "natural" products that are as effective as permethrin in prevention of getting bit by little critters (having lived and traveled in Latin America, Africa, Middle East, Europe, Asia, and the good old USA Midwest)-- the other option is to get a sleeping bag liner that is already treated (I have one and am taking it with me AND will also treat my gear --overkill -- yes -- but have had one close encounter with beg bugs and was not fun -- at least for me - am sure the beg bugs had a cigarette afterwards)-- Buen Camino.

Steve,

I am a believer in Permethrin treatment of clothing and gear -- you have a couple of choices and actually I use both -- the spray and the clothing treatment (soak) -- have used the military stuff and it is great, just hard to find in the civilian side of the house -- Sawyer is probably the way to go -- they have a spray you can use on your backpack and sleeping bag -- the Sawyer "Premium Inset Repellent Clothing Treatment" kit is very similar to the Military kit and great for treating clothing -- this treatment kit is is good for 42 days or 6 washings (I have actually treated clothes with the Military Kit that pretty much lasted a year -- so think the Sawyer will last longer than advertised) -- once you air dry your kit -- it is good to go -- from all I have read and experienced no harm to humans (IF your follow the instructions! -- not sure if loss of hair has been due to the Permethrin or old age -- would like to blame the Permethrin, but science would probably prove me wrong : { ) -- zaps bugs (ticks, bedbugs, mosquitoes, no see ems, and probably ladybugs (sorry), etc..) -- I found a web site that ships overseas -- I use an APO so not sure how that will work for others -- the name of the site is "domyownpestcontrol.com" -- I know of no "natural" products that are as effective as permethrin in prevention of getting bit by little critters (having lived and traveled in Latin America, Africa, Middle East, Europe, Asia, and the good old USA Midwest)-- the other option is to get a sleeping bag liner that is already treated (I have one and am taking it with me AND will also treat my gear --overkill -- yes -- but have had one close encounter with beg bugs and was not fun -- at least for me - am sure the beg bugs had a cigarette afterwards)-- Buen Camino.
Thanks Grogan...I'm going to look for this!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Steve,

Hi Grogan/ Steve,
i am starting the Camino from Porto in late September, i have found Permethrin in South Africa that is Coopex wettable Powder 25G active ingredient Permethrin (pyrethroid) 250g/Kg (25/75 cis/trans isomer) - it says dilute 25g or 1 sachet to 10l of water - as you have experience with Permethrin, would you say that if i soak all my gear, silk liner, pants, tops , bag including backpack (orprey talon 33l) not including under clothes, socks and rain jacket for 2/3hrs and dry them in the sun i should be ok against bedbugs for the six weeks i am away - i am worried about the concentration. Any assistance would be much appreciated :) !!!

Is Amazon.com available to you? If so, get the Sawyer sprayable. Simply follow the directions on the bottle. IMO, you will need overnite to let the spray dry. Treat the exterior of your pack, boots, socks, pants, shirts, jacket, sleeping bag, etc. No need to treat underwear. Don't be shy with the spray-get the surface of what you spray good and wet. To treat to US Mil specs you need to mix non-petroleum based permithrin in a bucket to .8% and dip the items in the bucket until soaked(do not do this with anything down). Let air dry. Normal permithrin spray is @ .5%.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Steve,

Buen(bite-free) Camino

Oh, I disagree with this.
As soon as there is rain and sun they will be hatching, and as falcon said, they CAN be active all year, just worse in the heat and when the pilgrims begin carrying them along the Way.

If you are unable to get a spray to spray your gear, you can at least pick up some type of insect repellant to put on your skin.
That will also work.

And yes, you might try Amazon.com for Sawyer's.

The other place to try, Steve, is a farming or veterinary supply store.
They almost always carry permethrin.
You just add water to it, put it in a spray bottle, and spray the OUTSIDE of your pack and bag.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Grogan/ Steve,
i am starting the Camino from Porto in late September, i have found Permethrin in South Africa that is Coopex wettable Powder 25G active ingredient Permethrin (pyrethroid) 250g/Kg (25/75 cis/trans isomer) - it says dilute 25g or 1 sachet to 10l of water - as you have experience with Permethrin, would you say that if i soak all my gear, silk liner, pants, tops , bag including backpack (orprey talon 33l) not including under clothes, socks and rain jacket for 2/3hrs and dry them in the sun i should be ok against bedbugs for the six weeks i am away - i am worried about the concentration. Any assistance would be much appreciated :) !!!

Hi, Cape Union Mart stocks a permethrin spray which can be used to protect your sleeping bag or liner from bed bugs before you leave. It’s called Vital Protection, and states:

Textile application only
Effective for up to 3 months or 30 washes
Durable protection
Anti-bacterial
Safe and effective.

The 100ml bottle costs R120 and the 220ml bottle costs R220.
Their website is www.vitalprotection.co.za

Looked in every Cape Union Mart in Port Elizabeth - couldn't find anything with permethrin - i will order directly from the web site. Thank you so much.

I was told that because bed bugs can't bite through silk liners that's all I would need. Is this not accurate?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was told that because bed bugs can't bite through silk liners that's all I would need. Is this not accurate?
Maybe they can't chomp through fabric, but they are attracted by the carbon dioxide you exhale, and will soon find their way to the opening at the top of your bag.

IF you sleep on a mattress with bugs, they will 100% find your skin. You may just carry them to the next place you lay down, or they may begin to eat you. IF the sheet/sleeping bag, liner you sleep with has been treated it significantly reduces that chance. It actually kills them. Use Permithrin as discussed/posted. Allergic reactions to Permithrin are extremely rare, but, new research shows BB are more than a nuisance. http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/news_releases/2014/11/levy/
IF you know you are allergic to Permithrin, look into a disposable sheet cover. They are very very light weight and you can carry a weeks worth at a time. Use em once and toss em. Mail some more ahead.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.