Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Bed Buggs on the Camino Frances

miratur

I am going to do the Camino Frances from late April till June this year.
Last year there seemed to be a problem wuth bedbuggs on the Camino Frances. Does anyone know if they were successfully eradicated or not. Also is there anything that can be safely used to prevent them from biting you.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

miratur

Thanks Arn for your help. As you have guessed I am new to this very informative website.

I shal be using Pyrethrum spray on my cloths and sleeping bag.

I still do not know if the bed buggs have been eradicated or not on the camino frances this year, that is if it is possible to get rid of them.

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
miratur,
I think they do their best in most places to eradicate them, with sprays etc but in some places they are very well established. However, I think they are in the main more of a summer problem.

I was walking in Spain through June and early July and people seldom reported any issues with them. The main problems seemed to emerge just after I had finished as the summer crowds arrived. If you are mainly walking during May, you may well find them not much of a problem.
Margaret

D

Deleted member 3000

Welcome to the Board.

There is a lot posted here on bed bugs. Prevention is the best cure. They never go away because new one are constantly imported by pilgrims.

Falcon269

Fine art photography from the Camino Ways.
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Past OR future Camino
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
For the record, I'm SURE we picked ours up at Hornillos. That was the first place along the way where we saw people covered with bites next morning.

D

Deleted member 3000

I agree completely with Anniesantiago, but it is possible that the bed bugs in Hornillos came from somewhere else.

Past OR future Camino
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
Yes, they did.

One thing I thought about while I was there, and did not do... and what I WOULD do if I find the situation again:

I felt as though the little man taking care of the refuge at Hornillos was a bit ovewhelmed. The place was quite dirty (we got there at the end of the summer season, beginning of fall season). I now wish I had stayed an extra day and cleaned the place really good for him. The weather was great. The mattresses could have been taken out and sunned and sprayed and the floors swept and washed.

I realize it's too late now.. but I learned a lesson which I'll take with me on the next camino and that is to HELP wherever I see the need.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads