• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to find unique and handmade gifts on the Camino Frances?

campfire

New'ish Member
Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2024
Good day all! Happy New Year!

In mid-April 2024 I’ll be starting my first pilgrimage; the Camino Frances starting in SJPP. I love to get unique and/or handmade gifts from places I travel. Nothing “touristy” or “souvenir-y.” What kind of places are there to shop for these sorts of things? Are there artisans with shops? Are there local jewelry makers? Are there markets? Woodworkers?

Also - if I need to ship these things back home, are there places to do that?

BC to all,
Tyler

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would recommend waiting until you are in Santiago to buy any gifts or souvenirs. You can use Correos, the Spanish post office to send things home, or to yourself in Santiago.
There is a metal worker that makes unique items near Ayegui

Good point about Santiago, as there are many little artisan shops in the city. Might be worth looking in SJPP.

Otherwise, looking for such things along the Way is more a question of when than where, as the smaller places in the villages or by the trail along the Way can tend to be open only between May and September.

Finding artisan shops in the larger cities along the Francès must be possible, though you'd likely need to research such things by yourself. And I wouldn't count on Ponferrada, as it is an industrial, agricultural, and working city, not an artistic one primarily (though it has its architectural sights).

Otherwise, keep an eye out and I'm sure you'll make your discoveries !!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a favorite saying about souvenirs in Santiago... "If you don't find something you want, walk out and walk in the one next door."

There are some nice places with unique stuff. Can't name them or tell you where, but if you are spending a day or two in Santiago... it's worth the effort to explore.

I buy a piece of jewelry or a souvenir in Santiago every time I am in the city.
O Cebreiro has a nice touristy shop and I always check it out when passing through.
This past spring I bought a handmade pottery Celtic necklace at a shop in Muxia.

Muxia also had a booth by the church in September where ladies were making lace objects.

There was also a leather artisan on the Primitivo past Lugo who worked in leather.

Regardless of route, the problem with souvenirs of any variety is making space and weight in the pack for them. Small artisans dealing in handmade objects aren't likely to be able to ship them for you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We have always scored Sagradelos ceramics while in SdC. The stores box and send them home (of course for a fee). Beautiful stuff.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There will be a lot of artisans along the way and, as many have mentioned, plenty in Santiago, too. One reason that people tend to wait until Santiago is to avoid having to carry whatever it is all the way there, adding to the weight of their backpack. People can be very focused on the weight of their backpack. As you mentioned, not carrying it home but shipping it is always an option. Correos (the Spanish postal service) available in most larger towns and cities can handle that for you. But I would advise against posting anything breakable unless it is very well protected by cushioning materials. You can count on the package getting a lot of rough treatment along the way.

There is a guy selling his metalwork, including metal shell necklaces. His workshop is on the main path, in the vicinity of the wine fountain. A couple of the people I was with that morning bought necklaces.
Yes, I went into his workshop and bought some hand made souvenirs, carried them in my pocket, an very interesting visit, in the area where the wine fountain is.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is a guy selling his metalwork, including metal shell necklaces. His workshop is on the main path, in the vicinity of the wine fountain. A couple of the people I was with that morning bought necklaces.
Yes, this is the guy:

I walked 3,000km on different Camino over 6 months I bought these after the French in Santiago the keys on the left are for the love of my life’s house and the right are mine!
Before the final arch where the piper plays there are shops that sell such goods. Nothing wrong with getting the t shirt or souvenir I wish I got the t shirt “no hay dolor sin Gloria”

Buen camino

Attachments

• IMG_3858.jpeg
    IMG_3858.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We’re not really souvenir people usually, but we went into a funny little shop somewhere on a less frequented route and saw some real cow/sheep bells that local folks actually use (along with cosmetics and magazines and plastic stools and gardening tools and sunhats and lace doilies and toys and electronics….) and we carried a bell all the way to Santiago. That was a random experience that probably can’t be recreated. But you might have your own.

I walked 3,000km on different Camino over 6 months I bought these after the French in Santiago the keys on the left are for the love of my life’s house and the right are mine!
Before the final arch where the piper plays there are shops that sell such goods. Nothing wrong with getting the t shirt or souvenir I wish I got the t shirt “no hay dolor sin Gloria”

Buen camino
IMG_0171.jpeg

€149,-
I bought my shell necklace from the blacksmith along the way then bought some shell earrings from the silversmiths in Santiago
Any pictures to share? I usually buy a piece of jewelry to bring home and would like to see yours. I'm not home to add a pic of a few of mine.

Any pictures to share? I usually buy a piece of jewelry to bring home and would like to see yours. I'm not home to add a pic of a few of mine.
The black one from the back smith only 5 euros, that was for me, then I bought my mother the gold earring from the silversmiths in Santiago. The gold earring are hard to see in the photo. i'am going to buy her the matching necklace this year. She looks after my beloved dog while i'am hiking lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0965.jpeg
    IMG_0965.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0964.jpeg
    IMG_0964.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19

€149,-
The black one from the back smith only 5 euros, that was for me, then I bought my mother the gold earring from the silversmiths in Santiago. The gold earring are hard to see in the photo. i'am going to buy her the matching necklace this year. She looks after my beloved dog while i'am hiking lol.
They are very nice and the gold earrings are adorable. I enlarged the pictures for a better look. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

They are very nice and the gold earrings are adorable. I enlarged the pictures for a better look. Thank you for sharing the pictures.
He was also very nice, taking the time to take the earring out of the box and polish them with a cloth and put them back in and sealed the box with a sticker with the name of the store on it. I will return to his store this year. Also my 87 year old mother loves the earrings, showing them to everyone.

The shell on my backpack is from that shop (about 12-14 cm across), one of my favorite souvenirs. Subtle, but when noticed, always gets a comment. (And I have had many offers to buy it.) In Ayegui, near the wine fountain at the Bodegas Irache winery.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back