• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking Information about Bed Bugs on the Camino de Santiago

Ged

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Hi
We keep noticing the issue of bed bugs and we're wondering if this is a thing? If so where and how to recognise this problem.
We probably won't be staying in the Albergues but if we have to then any info will be gratefully appreciated. We will be setting of on our Camino next Easter from Tui.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There are a lot of threads here about bedbugs that you can access and that will give you lots of reading material. Bedbugs travel with people and can be in any hotel, hostel, or albergues. If you type bedbugs in the search bar, above you will find more than you every wanted to know.

we're wondering if this is a thing?
Yes, it is a thing. I've added a tag "bed bugs" under the title at the top of this thread. Click on that so you can read ALL about them!

Some casual observers have indicated that bedbugs might be less of a problem since the Covid shutdowns, which may have reduced the populations, likely temporarily! Bedbugs exist in all types of accommodation, and in some ways the basic albergues may do a better job of controlling them than the private hostales.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are a lot of threads here about bedbugs that you can access and that will give you lots of reading material. Bedbugs travel with people and can be in any hotel, hostel, or albergues. If you type bedbugs in the search bar, above you will find more than you every wanted to know.
Thank you I am a newbie on the site and didn't think to do this.

Yes, it is a thing. I've added a tag "bed bugs" under the title at the top of this thread. Click on that so you can read ALL about them!

Some casual observers have indicated that bedbugs might be less of a problem since the Covid shutdowns, which may have reduced the populations! Bedbugs exist in all types of accommodation, and in some ways the basic albergues may do a better job of controlling them than the private hostales.
Brilliant thanks for your help.

So glad I asked now. Thank you for your reply.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bed bugs are not confined to albergues! Anywhere where you get a lot of tourists passing through and moving from place to place is vulnerable. Your best protection is to keep your pack off the floor, but never put it on a bed. Do not spread your belongings about. Bed bugs come out at night and are attracted by the carbon dioxide we breath out. If there is a bad infestation you might notice tiny black specks; bed bug faeces. Should you get bitten you can ask a pharmacist for some ointment to help the itching - just show them the bites. You can also take an antihistamine. You can read about how to treat your belongings, basically heat kills them, or a freezer once home.

I know from experience (Sienna, Italy) what to look for now! I have been badly bitten (in Iceland) when there was no signs visible. Neither was there anything in my belongings (I looked very carefully before and after treating).

Enjoy your reading on the topic but don't let your fears create a bigger issue than is really there.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Bed bugs are not confined to albergues! Anywhere where you get a lot of tourists passing through and moving from place to place is vulnerable. Your best protection is to keep your pack off the floor, but never put it on a bed. Do not spread your belongings about. Bed bugs come out at night and are attracted by the carbon dioxide we breath out. If there is a bad infestation you might notice tiny black specks; bed bug faeces. Should you get bitten you can ask a pharmacist for some ointment to help the itching - just show them the bites. You can also take an antihistamine. You can read about how to treat your belongings, basically heat kills them, or a freezer once home.

I know from experience (Sienna, Italy) what to look for now! I have been badly bitten (in Iceland) when there was no signs visible. Neither was there anything in my belongings (I looked very carefully before and after treating).

Enjoy your reading on the topic but don't let your fears create a bigger issue than is really there.
Will do and thank you very much for the advice.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

We must be very lucky I think. We have been to both of the places you mentioned and loved them both. Thanks for the info.

Doing my homework as we speak. Thanks.

Brilliant. Thanks for your help.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Some casual observers have indicated that bedbugs might be less of a problem since the Covid shutdowns, which may have reduced the populations, likely temporarily! Bedbugs exist in all types of accommodation, and in some ways the basic albergues may do a better job of controlling them than the private hostales.
I will bear that in mind. Thanks for the advice.

I won't and thank you for your reply

As mentioned above, bedbugs can be found anywhere, from the least expensive lodging to luxury hotels. Best to research and implement prevention strategies, surely listed elsewhere in this forum and others. Some people discover they are highly allergic to the bites and even have to go home to recover. Silk liners do not prevent bedbugs but chemical treatment of outside of sleep sack, shoes, and backpack will help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi
We keep noticing the issue of bed bugs and we're wondering if this is a thing? If so where and how to recognise this problem.
We probably won't be staying in the Albergues but if we have to then any info will be gratefully appreciated. We will be setting of on our Camino next Easter from Tui.
As others have said there are lots of posts about bedbugs. Remember that bedbugs aren't the exclusive domain of albergues. A few years ago when New York City had a bad infestation, hotels like the 4 Seasons and the Carlyle were reporting bedbugs by their guests.

I've walked many Caminos and never been bitten or seen one. However, I have seen pilgrims suffering from lots of unsightly bites. There are a few albergues that keep coming up again and again in terms of claims of having been the source of pilgrims' bites. They are clearly there across the Camino, but don't fret about them too much as the vast majority of places will be bedbug free. Having said this, the place I've booked for tomorrow has recently been a hotspot for them, though in the dorm section rather than the private rooms, but I'll be carefully checking the mattress seams as soon as I get there.

I've walked many Caminos and never been bitten or seen one. However, I have seen pilgrims suffering from lots of unsightly bites. There are a few albergues that keep coming up again and again in terms of claims of having been the source of pilgrims' bites. They are clearly there across the Camino, but don't fret about them too much as the vast majority of places will be bedbug free. Having said this, the place I've booked for tomorrow has recently been a hotspot for them, though in the dorm section rather than the private rooms, but I'll be carefully checking the mattress seams as soon as I get there.
Definitely check those beds. One of the worst bedbug encounters I had was in an albergue private room, instead of in the dorm section.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have walked twice on the CF, once from Porto, and part of LePuy and never had a problem. Maybe just lucky. I do check the beds BEFORE I drop my pack. I do this not only on the Camino but in Paris, Santiago south America, London, etc. and everywhere in the US as well. We met a fellow pilgrim four years ago who was infested in Paris.

Buen Camino
Bob

Rarely a problem, but good way to help prevent is to pre-spray with pyrethrum that you can get at most camping/outdoors stores before you leave home. Spray then let dry & spray again your backpack, boots/shoes & sleeping bag or liner/blanket exteriors only, because there is enough spray to do it & more. We did everything for family of four with one spray bottle worth. Just laid out a tarp & all our things & sprayed evenly, let dry, flipped over, sprayed & dried. Came back next day & did it all over again. Never had a problem.

Rarely a problem, but good way to help prevent is to pre-spray with pyrethrum that you can get at most camping/outdoors stores before you leave home. Spray then let dry & spray again your backpack, boots/shoes & sleeping bag or liner/blanket exteriors only, because there is enough spray to do it & more. We did everything for family of four with one spray bottle worth. Just laid out a tarp & all our things & sprayed evenly, let dry, flipped over, sprayed & dried. Came back next day & did it all over again. Never had a problem.
Permethrin doesn't repel bedbugs nor kill them on contact. However, with prolonged exposure - a couple of hours or so, it should kill the bugs. So, while it may not keep you from being bit, it's a good measure to take to avoid carrying bed bugs to your next accommodations, or into your home.

I spray inside my backpack, all of my cloth stuff sacks and sleeping gear with permethrin. If any bedbugs get into my pack I want them to have maximum exposure to the permethrin.

BTW, I have been bitten while I was inside my permethrin treated silk sleep sack. You can ignore any advice that silk dryers bedbugs. But I heat treated all my gear afterwards and didn't have any more issues.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi
Hi get soe Lavbder oil and Eucalyptus oil spray Bed Bugs hate this

Hi get soe Lavbder oil and Eucalyptus oil spray Bed Bugs hate this
Please do not spray anything inside the albergues. Other pilgrims can be sensitive to the scents, and there is no scientific evidence that I know of that any of these essential oils work against bed bugs.

Hi
Avoid the blankets as those are seldom washed. Most albergues are safe as they have all switched to plastic covers for the mattresses and pillows, which makes it easier for hospitaleros to clean & disinfect. If you get bitten, take with you some antihistamines to alleviate the itchiness.

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi
I did the Frances this year April / June and didn’t encounter any. This doesn’t mean they don’t exist but I barely thought about it and I stayed in hostels the whole way bar 3 nights. Buen Camino

We did Frances route in May from SJPP. We, not anyone we talked with encounter bedbugs on this trip. We noticed that a few specific albergues had multiple reports of bedbugs in online reviews... we avoided those as did our friends.

As others have said, bug bugs can appear anywhere. My only experience with bedbugs was picking them up in a 5-star hotel hotel in Washington DC years ago. Bedbugs aren't the end of the world and is manageable on the camino since you have little with you. It's a few hours or maybe a rest day washing everything in hot water and some antihistamine / lotion for the bites. Bedbugs are much more of an issue if you bring them home because you have so much more stuff to clean.

We did Frances route in May from SJPP. We, not anyone we talked with encounter bedbugs on this trip. We noticed that a few specific albergues had multiple reports of bedbugs in online reviews... we avoided those as did our friends
I've done 3 summer/fall Caminos and there were quite a few pilgrims with bites, including me one year. On my 4 Spring Caminos I didn't hear if one pilgrim with bed bugs. I think as more pilgrims pass through the incidence of bed bugs grows.

As far as online reviews that mention bed bugs - I wouldn't pay much attention. Most albergues are very conscientious about dealing with them as soon as someone reports seeing them. Any albergue can have them since it's the pilgrims that bring them from place to place. So the place that had them last week could have resolved the problem, but the traveler who brought them there could have moved on and deposited them somewhere with great reviews.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think as more pilgrims pass through the incidence of bed bugs grows.
Good observation. That was a small factor in us decided to go in May rather than Sept.
As far as online reviews that mention bed bugs - I wouldn't pay much attention. Most albergues are very conscientious about dealing with them as soon as someone reports seeing them.
I agree this is generally true... but there were a few albergues that had multiple complains over multiple years about problems: bedbugs and other issues. All the albergues we and our friends interacted with were well run and cared for, but there are some albergues that are not well run. Most of these will ultimately close.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
On our 2500 km Camino we saw no one.

When going home make your first stop be a commercial laundromat to clean, dry and inspect everything before you bring the problem into your home.

Following on from my post above, just to say that the place I mentioned that had had bedbug issues was fine and probably my best 11 hour sleep to date with no bugs. Casa del Pergrino El Acebo is certainly recommended by me. They really are generally ephemeral and good albergues take care of them swiftly when they do arise. Just need to check upon arrival.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.