• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed Bugs in gernika

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's good to have this info, but I'd caution other pilgrims in how they use it. I used to have this gut reaction that if an albergue had bedbugs then it was the albergue's fault--it must be dirty and neglected. Rather, once bedbugs pop up in one location, it's easy for them to spread. One pilgrim may have tracked them in unsuspectingly and now the albergue's reputation suffers.

Odds are, by the time you're there this will be cleaned up. It's worth asking, of course! Odds are equally good, though, that the bedbugs may have made appearances at other albergues along the way...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's good to have this info, but I'd caution other pilgrims in how they use it. I used to have this gut reaction that if an albergue had bedbugs then it was the albergue's fault--it must be dirty and neglected. Rather, once bedbugs pop up in one location, it's easy for them to spread. One pilgrim may have tracked them in unsuspectingly and now the albergue's reputation suffers.

Odds are, by the time you're there this will be cleaned up. It's worth asking, of course! Odds are equally good, though, that the bedbugs may have made appearances at other albergues along the way...

Dave while I agree the bed bugs could theoretically have come in from another pilgrim coming from another Albergue, I have to disagree with you here and will not apologise for warning people of the fact they were bedbugs in the youth hostel in guernika, not just in my bed but they were all found in other rooms by other pilgrims. What's worse is that even after informing the hospitalero about the bed bugs, he still gave that bed to some poor unsuspecting pilgrim the following night. This is morally wrong and the hostel has a duty to care for pilgrims under its care.

the bed bugs could theoretically have come in from another pilgrim
Theoretically? Where else would they come from? As you said, they were found by pilgrims. They can be spread by any of those pilgrims.

I agree that the hospitalero should not have just given that bed to someone without doing anything about the bedbugs.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dave while I agree the bed bugs could theoretically have come in from another pilgrim coming from another Albergue, I have to disagree with you here and will not apologise for warning people of the fact they were bedbugs in the youth hostel in guernika, not just in my bed but they were all found in other rooms by other pilgrims. What's worse is that even after informing the hospitalero about the bed bugs, he still gave that bed to some poor unsuspecting pilgrim the following night. This is morally wrong and the hostel has a duty to care for pilgrims under its care.

Not asking you to apologize! I'm just offering that we shouldn't automatically avoid or cast aspersions on an albergue if it has a bedbug issue. The extra context is helpful, though; on the surface, it sounds like much less than I would hope for. Regardless, I appreciate you making the time to share the info.

Hey there, Just to advise people that the Youth hostel in guernica has bed bugs.

I'm not surprised, they seem to frequently recur at that youth hostel in Guernica, and for that risk, they charged 20 euros last year for the experience. I'm planning to stop an an albergue prior to Guernica ( I don't have my guide book handy to say where ) and make up the extra distance to cover the next day come September.

Most read last week in this forum

If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....
please could anyone advise the current status of accomodation in albergues et al. We (couple) are starting on Wednesday next week. Thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back