• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Beginning from SJPdP on 18 September

The Camino Calls

Time of past OR future Camino
2021-CF (SJPdP), 2023-Ingles
Hello, everyone! I'm Kaitlyn, and I'll be setting off on my Camino on 18 September from SJPdP.

I fly into Madrid on the 16th and will make my way to Pamplona the same day, if anyone would like to split a taxi. I'm giving myself the 17th to rest up and get last-minute items, then am leaving the next day.

Does anyone have any tips for packing or checking a bag and sending it onward to SdC? Looking forward to meeting everyone on the Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello, everyone! I'm Kaitlyn, and I'll be setting off on my Camino on 18 September from SJPdP.

I fly into Madrid on the 16th and will make my way to Pamplona the same day, if anyone would like to split a taxi. I'm giving myself the 17th to rest up and get last-minute items, then am leaving the next day.

Does anyone have any tips for packing or checking a bag and sending it onward to SdC? Looking forward to meeting everyone on the Camino!

Don't know if you're aware, but if you walk out of Terminal 4 at Madrid, you can walk right onto a bus going to Pampona. The trip is very comfortable and gives you the opportunity to see the countryside. I love it. The buses are Mercedes buses with large seats and huge viewing windows. Get your ticket from the driver. If you're interested, look for an airport helper person and ask - they're all dress in green, like Leprechauns! I do it every year. Last time was about €35

Don't know if you're aware, but if you walk out of Terminal 4 at Madrid, you can walk right onto a bus going to Pampona. The trip is very comfortable and gives you the opportunity to see the countryside. I love it. The buses are Mercedes buses with large seats and huge viewing windows. Get your ticket from the driver. If you're interested, look for an airport helper person and ask - they're all dress in green, like Leprechauns! I do it every year. Last time was about €35
Wow! I did not know this. Would you happen to know the times of departure?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

For a bus and train schedules out of Madrid download their apps. Renfe for the train and ALSA for the bus. Depending on your arrival time in Madrid you may be able to catch the high speed train to Pamplona.

Keep in mind that the seasons will be in transition. This means that the sunny skies of August will be behind you and possible nighttime thunderstorms in front of you they’re scattered and if they’re at night it’s not so much of a problem.

Also consider that the days will be getting shorter and by the time you are a week or two out from Santiago it will start to be hard to check in early enough to dry your clothes with sun shine. The normal routine is to check into where you’re going to sleep, take a shower and wash your clothes and put them out to dry, and then find something to eat. The problem is that by the time you shower and wash yourself and your clothes the early Pilgrim meals are complete and the next meal available isn’t until about seven or 8 o’clock at night. That’s typically later than pilgrims want to eat. The Spanish traditionally eat dinner late relative to US standards. So, it will be up to you how do you wanna deal with it.

I think the vast majority of people who have walked to Camino will agree that every day is a learning experience. ENJOY!

I am on the Camino as I write this and I can say that everything is working out. The key is to be flexible.

Kaitlyn, my wife (Cindi) and I leave St Jean the morning of the 17th, so will be one day ahead of you.

With days getting shorter, we usually begin our daily hike around 7:00 am and most mornings it is dark out. Be sure to bring a head torch so you can walk safely in the dark. Also, with regards to laundry routine, some prefer to wash their camino clothes every day. My wife and I find it easier to wash and dry our clothes every third day. This gives us enough for a full load of laundry and saves us time on the non-laundry days to buy trail snacks for the following day, explore the towns and enjoy beer / wine before dinner.

Hope to see you on the trail. Bob

Kaitlyn, my wife (Cindi) and I leave St Jean the morning of the 17th, so will be one day ahead of you.

With days getting shorter, we usually begin our daily hike around 7:00 am and most mornings it is dark out. Be sure to bring a head torch so you can walk safely in the dark. Also, with regards to laundry routine, some prefer to wash their camino clothes every day. My wife and I find it easier to wash and dry our clothes every third day. This gives us enough for a full load of laundry and saves us time on the non-laundry days to buy trail snacks for the following day, explore the towns and enjoy beer / wine before dinner.

Howdy ! I am also leaving St Jean in the morning of the 17th.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thank you, this info is very helpful for my husband and I. We're headed out of St Jean on the 6th of Sept. Buen Camino!
For a bus and train schedules out of Madrid download their apps. Renfe for the train and ALSA for the bus. Depending on your arrival time in Madrid you may be able to catch the high speed train to Pamplona.

Keep in mind that the seasons will be in transition. This means that the sunny skies of August will be behind you and possible nighttime thunderstorms in front of you they’re scattered and if they’re at night it’s not so much of a problem.

Also consider that the days will be getting shorter and by the time you are a week or two out from Santiago it will start to be hard to check in early enough to dry your clothes with sun shine. The normal routine is to check into where you’re going to sleep, take a shower and wash your clothes and put them out to dry, and then find something to eat. The problem is that by the time you shower and wash yourself and your clothes the early Pilgrim meals are complete and the next meal available isn’t until about seven or 8 o’clock at night. That’s typically later than pilgrims want to eat. The Spanish traditionally eat dinner late relative to US standards. So, it will be up to you how do you wanna deal with it.

I think the vast majority of people who have walked to Camino will agree that every day is a learning experience. ENJOY!

I am on the Camino as I write this and I can say that everything is working out. The key is to be flexible.
Thanks, this is helpful. We live in Portland Oregon and I've often wondered about drying clothes outside in the fall. Things sure don't dry here!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, I too am starting soon, leaving SJPP on the 15th. I'm walking a "slow" camino of 15-20 km/day, so I'm sure you all starting later the same week will overtake me! Buen Camino everyone! @Jeff Robinson, thanks for your comments about laundry on shorter days, my previous caminos were in May and August with plenty of daylight.

I'll be there on the 20th of Sept.from the US, my third. I bought bud tickets here and it worked out the first time perfect but the second I missed the bus and caught a train to Pamplona. It all seems to work out no matter what you do...Bien Camino!

Hi, I too am starting soon, leaving SJPP on the 15th. I'm walking a "slow" camino of 15-20 km/day, so I'm sure you all starting later the same week will overtake me! Buen Camino everyone! @Jeff Robinson, thanks for your comments about laundry on shorter days, my previous caminos were in May and August with plenty of daylight.
I'm getting to SJDPP on the 15th, Orisson 16th and on from there. Maybe I will see you. I wasn't sure if I was going to bring a headlamp, but in light of what I've read here and elsewhere I will definitely do that. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm getting to SJDPP on the 15th, Orisson 16th and on from there. Maybe I will see you. I wasn't sure if I was going to bring a headlamp, but in light of what I've read here and elsewhere I will definitely do that. Buen Camino!
Also consider checking the route out while you still have daylight. It may save some anxiety before setting off in the dark morning and allow you to step out with confidence.

Bob, I hope to see you both out there!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Welcome to the Forum!

Here is a great tool for checking/booking travels wherever:

Buen Camino! (said with some envy...)

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.