• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from Norway to SJPDP

Helge

Time of past OR future Camino
Saint Jean Pied de Port - Santiago - sept. 2023.
- Hva er den mest praktiske måten å reise fra Norge til SJPDP ? Noen råd? Prøvde Paris - Bayonne i 2023

Added Ivar, google translate:

- What is the most practical way to travel from Norway to SJPDP? Any advice? Tried Paris - Bayonne in 2023

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Direct Norwegian from Oslo-Barcelona, train in the afternoon to Pamplona, bus next day to SJPDP.
PS: English is the preferred language on this Forum. DS

Buen Camino!
Alexwalker from Tromsø, Norway.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Direct Norwegian from Oslo-Barcelona, train in the afternoon to Pamplona, bus next day to SJPDP.
PS: English is the preferred language on this Forum. DS

Buen Camino!
Alexwalker from Tromsø, Norway.
It was written in English. Auto translate. Will check why ? Even some post comes up in Norwegian ?

It was written in English. Auto translate. Will check why ? Even some post comes up in Norwegian ?
Same happened to me first post at this page ;-) don't know why, do not have such thing as an auto translate on my computer that I'm aware of.

Its been some years since I did that trip but for me it worked with flight to Paris, night train to Bayonne and then the little train to SJPdP. Worked totally ok.

This year for the Norte I am flying directly to Bilbao. Don't know about the connection from Bilbao to SjPdP but worth checking out!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Every so often i dont mind an occasional post in a language different than English. Makes me take a good look at words and see if I can spot something 'familiar'. Good way of learning ;)

til din helse 😁

You can fly with SAS via Stockholm or Copenhagen to Biarritz.
Norwegian has a direct flight to Bilbao JUne -August. From the airport there is a direct bus to Irun and Hendaye where you can take the train to Bayonne. Bordeaux and Toulouse also have trainconection to Bayonne if you can find a flight there from Norway. Norwegian had both some years ago, don’t know nowadays.
I have tried all this and also a flight via Madrid to Pamplona.
I would say the easiest I have done was with flight change via CDG, Paris to Biarriz. But to-day I would have tried the SAS route first mentioned, which was not an option for me then.

You can fly with SAS via Stockholm or Copenhagen to Biarritz.
Norwegian has a direct flight to Bilbao JUne -August. From the airport there is a direct bus to Irun and Hendaye where you can take the train to Bayonne. Bordeaux and Toulouse also have trainconection to Bayonne if you can find a flight there from Norway. Norwegian had both some years however, start walking ago, don’t know nowadays.
I have tried all this and also a flight via Madrid to Pamplona.
I would say the easiest I have done was with flight change via CDG, Paris to Biarriz. But to-day I would have tried the SAS route first mentioned, which was not an option for me then.
I have stopped using SAS (Sh*t, Always the Same...). Very often expensive flights. However, the advantage of Barcelona is, there are lots of trains (12+) to Pamplona each day, so you can just go to the railway station Sants, buy a ticket, arrive in Pamplona in the afternoon/evening, have dinner, walk in the city, and take transport onwards the next morning to SJpdP. I, however, don't need to walk over a mountain: I live in a land of mountains, and I usually simply start my walk out from Pamplona the next morning.

Ex:

If you are 60+, buy a Tarjeta Dorada first for 6€ at the station: It will give you 25% or more discount on trains in Spain for the next 12 months: It is a great offer for us old people :cool: :

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
google chrome maybe

welcome to the forum, there are probably flights from Oslo ( don't know your location) but if you don't fancy a train ride or flight, I did walk a few days with a Danish young man who walked from the northern part of Denmark all the way to Santiago :)

good luck with whatever you decide

I have stopped using SAS (Sh*t, Always the Same...). Very often expensive flights. However, the advantage of Barcelona is, there are lots of trains (12+) to Pamplona each day, so you can just go to the railway station Sants, buy a ticket, arrive in Pamplona in the afternoon/evening, have dinner, walk in the city, and take transport onwards the next morning to SJpdP. I, however, don't need to walk over a mountain: I live in a land of mountains, and I usually simply start my walk out from Pamplona the next morning.

Ex:

If you are 60+, buy a Tarjeta Dorada first for 6€ at the station: It will give you 25% or more discount on trains in Spain for the next 12 months: It is a great offer for us old people :cool: :

See your point Alexwalker, the train takes shorter time than I thought.
Tried a return from Santiago via Barcelona on my second camino in 2007 and was robbed on the airporttrain to Sants. Lost passport, money, ccards and the wish to go back. Since I had a direct flight home with SAS, they let me in without a passport.😊

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tried a return from Santiago via Barcelona on my second camino in 2007 and was robbed on the airporttrain to Sants. Lost passport, money, ccards and the wish to go back. Since I had a direct flight home with SAS, they let me in without a passport.😊
Very sorry about that. It must be scary to lose all papers/cards in a foreign land. I once had to help out a young Australian girl with phone calls homeand some financial personal donativo support in order for her to connect with her parents back home to get fundings for returning home. Sad story.

Unfortunately, Barcelona is known for this. In some ways, it is known to be a thief trap. Personally, I have always felt safe there. It is also about your own behaviour. So just keep your belongings tight, and it's all fine. It is a great city and a perfect hub for your Camino start, due to the connection possibilities to all places in Spain, especially North-East Spain, where most pilgrims want to start. For southern Caminos like VdlP, Mozarabe etc., Madrid is better. For Porto/Lisboa, it is obvious: Fly there.

I avoid France, as I don't speak the language, and the French seem to avoid speaking anothing other than French (personal lifetime experience, after several visits).

Last edited:
I avoid France, as I don't speak the language, and the French seem to avoid speaking anothing other than French (personal lifetime experience).
Also experienced this lots of times in the past, but do (like to) think the people of STJPDP being more open-minded because getting pilgrims from all over the world there (and their incomes depend on them), be more tolerate in people not knowing French at all... think big cities like Paris and others are more like you describe, people almost becoming offended by visitors not speaking their language..

Last edited:
@alexwalker - since the source is unknown I will respectfully simply ignore the context. nobody in this world will convince me that vodka IS NOT the BEST MEDICINE EVAAH!!!! :D

Skoaal, Prost, Sto Lat, Na Z'drovie, L'Haim, (Für Ihre) Gesundheit, Shláinte, Salute, Salut, Terveydeksesi (that's a good one to say while "under influence" ;)).... and all the other languages remaining
🍺🍻🍸🍷🍹🥛 (last one IS vodka....LOL)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@alexwalker - since the source is unknown I will respectfully simply ignore the context. nobody in this world will convince me that vodka IS NOT the BEST MEDICINE EVAAH!!!! :D
Well, we all know that the ultimate best medicine against flu, and all other problems life throws at us, and that doesn't work, is cognac. I'll try it out later this evening.

But your attitude is priceworthy.

But we are totally derailing this thread about going from Norway to Spain; Back on track now...

- Hva er den mest praktiske måten å reise fra Norge til SJPDP ? Noen råd? Prøvde Paris - Bayonne i 2023
From Sweden I usually go via Sthlm(Arlanda) - Paris - Biarritz ... or directly from Scandinavia to Biarritz when available. Then a shared taxi from Biarritz to SJPDP (Express-Bourricot). For me going to Pamplona and then taking transport to SJPDP ... just to walk back to Pamplona is not an option. For me it just does not work (psychologically), it takes all the fun out of the first stages to Pamplona.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Note to Kariann Nor.
I have just noticed your message about Taxi Pamplona to SJPDP.
Please check this, because when I was there ,you could get taxis to Pamplona but not the other way, where the trip starts in Spain. Not allowed by the Spanish authorities.
The bus runs that way though.

Note to Kariann Nor.
I have just noticed your message about Taxi Pamplona to SJPDP.
Please check this, because when I was there ,you could get taxis to Pamplona but not the other way, where the trip starts in Spain. Not allowed by the Spanish authorities.
The bus runs that way though.
Thank you for being so attentive and giving me advice! I've decided to walk another route, so its no longer relevant for me :)

Is there a law against discussing other things, or did I miss the irony here? 🤔
I think he was referring to himself developing the discussion further into if vodka or cognac is the best medicine, which is considered far enough from the original poster's question and intent to be called a detour ;-) ... detours can be funny but can quickly escalate and dilute if not flood a thread so sometimes it is a good idea to stop. And so he did with himself ;-)
Of course we all enjoy meandering a bit into side topics and it is part of the fun also. No hard laws I suppose :cool:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back