• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best liner for June-Sept

MTtoCamino

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francis SJPdP to Finnestere April(2014)
For those of you that have walked in this time period what Liner has worked well for you sleeping in the hot months of the Camino?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
All I can say is I was on the camino last week and I found it hard to let anything down on me, found the nights so warm. But I do recall waking up one morning and seen a man wrapped up in a sleeping bag. If you don't like been too hot get a light liner, it's probably a personal preference I personally was shorts and a tee and too hot, I could have done without packing a liner/bag!

All I can say is I was on the camino last week and I found it hard to let anything down on me, found the nights so warm. But I do recall waking up one morning and seen a man wrapped up in a sleeping bag. If you don't like been too hot get a light liner, it's probably a personal preference I personally was shorts and a tee and too hot, I could have done without packing a liner/bag!
Thank you did most have silk liners? I know they make a light wool one as well

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm not sure but the majority had liners whether silk or wool I can't offer the answer, also looking back alot of those that I was friendly with were talking about the heat also at night, so I think get a liner that is lightweight and and that can open down the side so you can stick your legs out if your too hot .
Maybe I'm just allergic to heat ha ha
Buen Camino

Hi Cailin, I am leaving from Australia in 2 weeks - should I bring a sleeping bag at all ??
Cheers Marisa

Personally, I find silk liners very hot.
You can buy an inexpensive cotton liner from most International Youth Hosteling organizations.
Or just make one from a worn, lightweight cotton sheet.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
For those of you that have walked in this time period what Liner has worked well for you sleeping in the hot months of the Camino?
Thanks!
Greetings!! I walked end May thru June 2014 and I used the attached sleep system which was a thin silk traveller liner and for the cooler nights (and I had more than a few) I also used an REI Travel Sack. This system served me well and did not weigh much at all. Buen Camino and I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Sleep system used 1.JPG
    Sleep system used 1.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 15
I take a (double) silk liner in the hotter months. It’s been washed in Pyrethrin so good to ward off the creatures. I prefer this large size as the ‘pillow case’ portion of it easily fits over any albergue pillows and it is easy to turn over while encased. Also, I can lie on top if it’s too hot. Takes only minutes to dry when washed and is super small/light when rolled up. I bought it online from a Kiwi company http://www.nznature.co.nz/product/silk-sleeping-bag-liner
I’ve used it so many times, its awesome

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Cailin, I am leaving from Australia in 2 weeks - should I bring a sleeping bag at all ??
Cheers Marisa
If I was going back in the morning I definitely would be bringing a light cooling liner. Definitely no sleeping bag :)
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi!
My plane leaves next Monday and my ordered silk liner probably won't make it in time :(
In home it costs half as much from what I ordered. Can anyone tell can I buy one in Madrid or Ponferrada? And how much will it cost.
I understand that I can buy Pyrethrin in Spain, yes? :)

Cotton ones are cheaper and could buy in home also, but somehow I like the idea of silk not liking to bed bugs.

Last summer we carried Coolmax liners (Seat-to-Summit, but there are other brands). Slightly heavier than silk, but lighter than cotton. Also, stretches better than silk, so better to sleep in. Sprayed with permethrin. Worked pretty well, although some nights were so hot (sleeping pilgrims double-stacked in bunk beds generate amazing amounts of body heat), we slept on top of the liner. I'm walking again this summer (this time Italy) and I'm taking the same liner.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.