• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best money belt

auburnfive

Veteran Member
There was a recent discussion about a theft, which caused me to think about my money belt. The elastic strap has really stretched out, and the buckle has known to loosen - perhaps time to replace. Any recommendations for a new one? Thanks

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've had money belts in the past however, I now prefer a wallet with a chain attached. The chain is then looped around your belt and secured with an eye hook type of device

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
IMHO, the 'best money belt is the one that is most comfortable to wear under your clothing, so that you wear it at all times, and inconspicuous enough that others cannot detect you are wearing it.

It should also be very water resistant or waterproof so you can bring it into albergue showers with you. The latter feature might be effected using a small ziplock bag, inside the money belt pockets for your passport and other papers - including cash money.

Hope this helps.

My money belt is a silk, Eagle Creek one. Super comfortable, so that I barely notice it is on me, so easy to sleep with. My big money and bank cards are in it. I also wear it traveling, especially in cities like Barcelona or Madrid, when my passport goes in there too. It is worn under my shirt and you would never know I am wearing one.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We always go for the anti skimming RFID money belts. Watch the pouch depth, too deep and it can be uncomfortable and hang down too low.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Another "best" question! I'm glad to hear about merely good ones for different preferences.

I have a slim pouch with belt loops (similar to this) and use diaper pins to attach it inside my trousers. (I don't wear a belt.) I switch it to my other trousers when I change.

A plain moneybelt that is worn around your waist under your clothes is fine. However, we bought these one year and they worked great for night time.

Men's Boxer Brief Shorts - Anti Theft Pickpocket Proof Travel Pocket Underwear​

View attachment 144525

"Is that an S23 Ultra or are you just happy to see me?" 😀

I sewed a small loop of string inside each pair of pants, just below the waistband. The pouch that holds my passport, cards, and cash the clips onto this loop. I can easily flip the pouch out, while still attached, if I need to access it.
I do something similar in my Macabi skirt and in my walking pants.
Easy even if you aren't much of a seamstress/tailor.
Here are instructions for my secret pocket:
Secret Pocket Instructions

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There was a recent discussion about a theft, which caused me to think about my money belt. The elastic strap has really stretched out, and the buckle has known to loosen - perhaps time to replace. Any recommendations for a new one? Thanks
I bought mine from the local Dollar Store. During the day as I bought a neck one I hang it around my neck under my top shirt. At night it’s at the bottom of my sleeping bag

I bought mine from the local Dollar Store. During the day as I bought a neck one I hang it around my neck under my top shirt. At night it’s at the bottom of my sleeping bag
All these stories of hidden pockets etc are helpful, but also somewhat alarming for 1st timers on the Camino. Is it really that bad?
If so why havent all accommodation places installed secure lockable lockers for each bed.
The thought of someone approaching and stealing from a sleeping person is scary stuff, especially for solo female travellers.

All these stories of hidden pockets etc are helpful, but also somewhat alarming for 1st timers on the Camino. Is it really that bad?
No. Theft on the Camino is very rare. But you should never leave your valuables unattended. That includes thinking that anything in your backpack is safe because it's under the bed where you are sleeping.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No. Theft on the Camino is very rare. But you should never leave your valuables unattended. That includes thinking that anything in your backpack is safe because it's under the bed where you are sleeping.
That applies to travel in general, but seems to be alot of focus on camino lately.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Cargo short pockets here. Cell phone on one side, money/passport/credit cards on the other side. If my shorts are on the line, I have a very lightweight daypack I put my valuables in.

A plain moneybelt that is worn around your waist under your clothes is fine. However, we bought these one year and they worked great for night time.

Men's Boxer Brief Shorts - Anti Theft Pickpocket Proof Travel Pocket UnderwearView attachment 144525
We always go for the anti skimming RFID money belts. Watch the pouch depth, too deep and it can be uncomfortable and hang down too low.
I should be able to cut and paste this from the last 20+ times I’ve posted it.

The first person who can cite an authenticated case of anyone outside of laboratory conditions having a credit card in their possession ‘skimmed’ remotely and losing money in anyway which a purported RFID wallet would have prevented wins 50 £/€/$ to a charity of their choice.

I mean a real actually-reported-to-the-cops and investigated and found true story not a ‘friend of my hairdressers cousin’ story.

I’ve not paid out in five years.

The first person who can cite an authenticated case of anyone outside of laboratory conditions having a credit card in their possession ‘skimmed’ remotely and losing money in anyway which a purported RFID wallet would have prevented wins 50 £/€/$ to a charity of their choice.

I mean a real actually-reported-to-the-cops and investigated and found true story not a ‘friend of my hairdressers cousin’ story.

🤣🤣🤣

I use the PacSafe Coversafe X75 Neck Wallet and wear it as a crossbody bag. I tighten it up for walking and wear under my fleece. Then I let it looser for the evening when walking around town or going to dinner. Then I sleep with it.

In the past I’ve used a waist pack outside my clothes. I don’t think there is a pickpocket problem on the CF, and I think it’s fine to just wear it during the day or out in the evening. I do have it facing the front or worn as a cross body, never on my backside.

I stay in a lot of private accommodations, so I don’t worry about it at night in those places, but when I am in an albergue, at night if I have a bunk next to the wall, I clip my waist pack to the bedpost right next to my face and slip it under my covers or pillow. I am almost always in a lower bunk, so someone would have to reach over me and inches from my face, undo a loud buckle using two hands or operate the zipper to get my stuff. I’ve always thought that was safe enough. Otherwise, if I am in an upper bunk or not next to a wall, it goes in the foot of my sleep sack.

The idea that a thief would slit open my sleep sack or my waist pack clipped next to my face in an albergue is so unlikely, I don’t worry about it. If anyone wants to think that is something to worry about in albergues, please go right ahead and worry about it. I’m not going to. 🤣🤣🤣

In the future I may bring this (below) to wear at night because I used it on a recent trip and it’s incredibly secure and comfortable. Much better than a neck pouch or the ones with a buckle and strap. I could sleep in this one, no problem.

The idea that a thief would slit open my sleep sack or my waist pack clipped next to my face in an albergue is so unlikely, I don’t worry about it. If anyone wants to think that is something to worry about in albergues, please go right ahead and worry about it. I’m not going to.
I agree

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In the past I’ve used a waist pack outside my clothes. I don’t think there is a pickpocket problem on the CF, and I think it’s fine to just wear it during the day or out in the evening. I do have it facing the front or worn as a cross body, never on my backside.

I stay in a lot of private accommodations, so I don’t worry about it at night in those places, but when I am in an albergue, at night if I have a bunk next to the wall, I clip my waist pack to the bedpost right next to my face and slip it under my covers or pillow. I am almost always in a lower bunk, so someone would have to reach over me and inches from my face, undo a loud buckle using two hands or operate the zipper to get my stuff. I’ve always thought that was safe enough. Otherwise, if I am in an upper bunk or not next to a wall, it goes in the foot of my sleep sack.

The idea that a thief would slit open my sleep sack or my waist pack clipped next to my face in an albergue is so unlikely, I don’t worry about it. If anyone wants to think that is something to worry about in albergues, please go right ahead and worry about it. I’m not going to. 🤣🤣🤣

In the future I may bring this (below) to wear at night because I used it on a recent trip and it’s incredibly secure and comfortable. Much better than a neck pouch or the ones with a buckle and strap. I could sleep in this one, no problem.

I currently have a small waist pack, this one https://www.patagonia.com/product/ultralight-black-hole-mini-hip-pack-1-liter/49447.html, and am thinking of having in my pack when walking but taking it out when in towns. I'm considering getting the link you recommended. Does is bother your hips with your pack? I'm concerned it would be uncomfortable because my pack clips around my waist exactly where this would rest

I currently have a small waist pack, this one https://www.patagonia.com/product/ultralight-black-hole-mini-hip-pack-1-liter/49447.html, and am thinking of having in my pack when walking but taking it out when in towns. I'm considering getting the link you recommended. Does is bother your hips with your pack? I'm concerned it would be uncomfortable because my pack clips around my waist exactly where this would rest

In the past, I tried using a small crossbody bag, but it bounced around too much. So I kept it in my pack and took it out whenever I cafe or shop, like what you’re thinking. I found it inconvenient to always have to take it out and put it back into the pack. It also felt less secure to be moving it from place to place, like I could forget it somewhere or misplace it somehow. I like my valuables in one place, and I always know exactly where they are.

Then I tried a waist pack similar to the Patagonia one you have. I liked it because it was comfortable to wear with my pack and I felt secure because I had it strapped around my waist at all times. Or I could wear it crossbody in the evening. It didn’t interfere with the hip belt of my pack.

I bought that money belt for a recent non-camino trip, so I haven’t actually used it while wearing a pack. I am pretty sure it rides higher than the hip belt on my pack. The only way to know for sure is to try it out. However, I personally don’t wear a money belt on the Camino because I don’t think pickpockets are a concern in that situation. In other situations, yes, but not in rural Spain or the smallish cities we pass through.

I would bring that money belt just to wear at night in albergues. In the day I am completely comfortable having my valuables in my waist pack.

I have this RFID Pacsafe brand money belt, but on the Camino I prefer a waist bag because it holds more things I use often. I take it to the shower in a plastic bag with my clean clothes and in the bottom of my sleeping bag at night.
However, my last two Caminos I've stayed mostly in private lodging, so rarely need my sleeping bag.
IMG_20230412_154541021.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In the past, I tried using a small crossbody bag, but it bounced around too much. So I kept it in my pack and took it out whenever I cafe or shop, like what you’re thinking. I found it inconvenient to always have to take it out and put it back into the pack. It also felt less secure to be moving it from place to place, like I could forget it somewhere or misplace it somehow. I like my valuables in one place, and I always know exactly where they are.

Then I tried a waist pack similar to the Patagonia one you have. I liked it because it was comfortable to wear with my pack and I felt secure because I had it strapped around my waist at all times. Or I could wear it crossbody in the evening. It didn’t interfere with the hip belt of my pack.

I bought that money belt for a recent non-camino trip, so I haven’t actually used it while wearing a pack. I am pretty sure it rides higher than the hip belt on my pack. The only way to know for sure is to try it out. However, I personally don’t wear a money belt on the Camino because I don’t think pickpockets are a concern in that situation. In other situations, yes, but not in rural Spain or the smallish cities we pass through.

I would bring that money belt just to wear at night in albergues. In the day I am completely comfortable having my valuables in my waist pack.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your input.

In the day I am completely comfortable having my valuables in my waist pack
I am comfortable wearing my waist bag all day, and all evening, too. I've had no need to use a money belt as an added item. I, too, dislike using cross over small purses with my backpack; banged on my thigh and the long strap seemed to tangle up a bit when removing my backpack every time I took it off.

IMHO, the 'best money belt is the one that is most comfortable to wear under your clothing, so that you wear it at all times, and inconspicuous enough that others cannot detect you are wearing it.
Having foiled two pickpocket attempts in the Philippines, I bought one for my trip to Italy. But while there, I realized that reaching into my pants for money marked me not only as a tourist but as one who had something others might want. I emptied it and discarded it. Not long afterward, there was a third attempt, which also failed.

Any of the Fanny packs out there. Wear the pouch in front, keep in on you at all times, stuff it into your sleep sack at night. I can’t imagine anything more is necessary on the camino.
Pick one that you like the way it opens when you are wearing it.

That's why you keep your daily cash in a regular wallet.
Me, too. And also why I keep a good, color photocopy of my passport in my wallet and my real passport someplace safer. I use the photocopy for everything except actually crossing a border. I even had to show my passport to some cops in Argentina recently and the copy was fine with them.

I haven’t had problems except for at a very few accommodations along the Camino who use a scanner to record the passport information and can’t scan the copy. Some can and some can’t. Some didn’t seem to care and just entered the info by hand. But I occasionally had to dig out my real passport when checking in.

And I hope you never have to. I’ve never personally known anyone who’s had to claim on their house insurance, but I still pay for mine every year. My RFID card sleeves cost me €2.39 for 5 on eBay, cheap, once off insurance. Even if they don’t really work, it’s still put MY mind at peace!

I’ve been a backpackers for 35 years, through roughly 50 countries. I’ve stayed, lived and worked in Hostels for weeks, sometimes months at a time. I just walked the Ingles, and short though that is, the Macpac (NZ brand, cotton) belt came with me. (The other was my wife’s.) The bulk of my cash, my backup card, and an ID were in it. It only ever comes off when I shower, or if I’m somewhere secure ( it does need to be washed!) It’s super comfortable, even with my pack on I genuinely don’t notice it’s there.
I NEVER, EVER take anything out of it in Public. Oh, and yes, I too learnt the hard way that passports need to be kept in a plastic bag! (Mine delaminated, immigration was NOT happy)
I have €30/40 cash in a zipped trouser pocket. €10/20 plus change and my main card (WISE card, loadable with multiple currencies, and instantly blocked from my App should I lose it/ be pickpocketed) in a small change purse in the front pocket of my packs waistbelt.
I’ve personally seen motor bike snatch and grabs, right in front of me. People I was travelling with have been pickpocketed, and robbed. A good friend had his sleeping bag slit, and his stash stolen. (They use razors by the way, unless you are a VERY light sleeper, you won’t hear or feel a thing).
NONE of this happened on Camino, or even in Spain I might add. But it can happen, and I prefer to take these minor, cheap, super easy precautions. Hopefully, none of them will ever prove necessary.
Buen Camino! 🇳🇿

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If so why havent all accommodation places installed secure lockable lockers for each bed.
The thought of someone approaching and stealing from a sleeping person is scary stuff, especially for solo female travellers.
I agree that the Camino is generally very safe (though recent robberies inside albergues mean one should always secure belongings, but cities include increased risk of theft. My advice is to take precautions, and then relax and enjoy the Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.