• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

best places to have rest days on coastal route

digitalgerry

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 - by bike
I’m planning to do over 12 days and want 2 rest days built in. What would be good recommendations to stay for a days rest/recover between Porto and Santiago? I was thinking on days 5 and 9 walking in approx 4 day blocks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’m planning to do over 12 days and want 2 rest days built in. What would be good recommendations to stay for a days rest/recover between Porto and Santiago? I was thinking on days 5 and 9 walking in approx 4 day blocks.
Three possible rest day spots come to mind: Caminha, Baiona, and Pontevedra. Caminha is a charming small town. Baiona is a bit larger, but full of character. And Pontevedra is a wonderfully beautiful city. I like your idea of walking in four day blocks. Bom caminho!

I agree with Grousedoctor but with the caveat that Viana do Costello could be considered as an alternative to Caminha.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Viana do Castelo is a nice town for a day's rest. Go to the large church, Monte Santa Luzia for a visit. Also, if you stay in Caminha, the townspeopl are very proud of the celtic ruins above the town at Santa Trega. Get a taxi up there - it's very interesting and the views are jaw dropping.

Viana do Castelo is a nice town for a day's rest. Go to the large church, Monte Santa Luzia for a visit. Also, if you stay in Caminha, the townspeopl are very proud of the celtic ruins above the town at Santa Trega. Get a taxi up there - it's very interesting and the views are jaw dropping.
Santa Trega definitely is worth seeing, but it's on the Spanish side of the river, above A Guarda. Here's a blog post we did a few years back: https://twoclinestraveling.wordpress.com/2019/07/23/historical-excursions/

I agree that Viana do Castelo is nicer than Caminha. However, I have been to Santa Trega and that is also worth it, however, it will take a lot more time/money to go there from Caminha, across the river. If you want to see Santa Trega, consider staying in A Guarda.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I agree with with all posters above. There are lots of interesting places to have a rest.
My favorites are Viana do Castelo, Baiona and Pontevedra.
Caminha is nice for half a day. Vila Praia de Âncora is nice for a lay down at the beach and swim in the ocean. A Guarda is nice for sea food . Vigo if you like seeing sculptures , nice parks and dining.

I would tend to say: Viana do Castelo and Pontevedra, if you want to make it even.
The average days are 10-12, depending on your speed. Viana will be reached by day 2 or 3 and Pontevedra again 3 or 4 days later.
If you are a beachlover, you may stop in Afife and maybe Gaifar on day 4 and 7.

There are so many good options that it is very hard to give a tip.

Three possible rest day spots come to mind: Caminha, Baiona, and Pontevedra. Caminha is a charming small town. Baiona is a bit larger, but full of character. And Pontevedra is a wonderfully beautiful city. I like your idea of walking in four day blocks. Bom caminho!
great suggestions... when we experienced torrential rain as we entered Baiona so we relaxed and spent a couple very pleasant days there before continuing our camino. The old part of town has lots of great little cafes and was very lively and hospitable. The harbor and nearby beaches are lovely too.

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone have the map tracks in English for the Portuguese Coastal Senda Litoral and Spiritual routes?
Hi my friends! I just wanted to let you all know that me and my daughter are on our way! We arrived in Porto on June 5th and are in Baiona now! I received so much help from you all and am very...
I am thinking of walking Porto to Santiago staying as close to the ocean as possible. I believe it might be called the littoral path. Is there luggage transfer available on this route?
We are completing or Camino from Lisbon to Porto tomorrow. We plan to start walking the coastal route the following day but we are trying to find 2 locations along the coastal route that would be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back