• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Print Guide?

Sweenardo

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata in May of 2017 from Ourense to Santiago. Bilbao to Santander on Camino Norte (2018).
Planning to do a portion of the Norte in September/October 2018. Did Ourense to Santiago last year loved it and after reading many posts on the forum decided that the Norte is right this time. May only have cell phone usage via wireless so wondering which print guide folks recommend? I see references to alternate routes, especially coastal routes on the forum (and on Gronze) and would like to get a hard copy with descriptions of the "official" route and alternatives. I will probably start in Bilbao and go to at least Santander and perhaps further but won't make it back to Santiago this trip. Thanks once again for your help! I have also read that the route is well marked and that is is not well marked so any information you can provide on that issue will also be appreciated......

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
At the micro level there are probably sufficient arrows on the Norte but I've just carried the Wise Pilgrim print guide along the Primitivo and it's brilliant - linear maps including alternative routes, ingenious altitude maps, towns plans with hotels and grocery stores located, prices and phone numbers for albergues and other accomodation, distances, yet compact enough to carry

I just did Irun to Santander and love the Wise Pilgrim print of Norte and the Wise Pilgrim app. Especially the online map if you get lost make the blue dot get back to the line.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you Gloria and spurs fan! Sounds like I need to get a copy of the Wise Pilgrim and also load the app. Appreciate it!

I will be doing the Norte from Irún I will be starting on September 17. Maybe we’ll run into each other. I bought the wise program book and the app. I think both will come in handy. The thing I like most about Gronze are the extensive Albergue reviews. Mini more than in The wise pilgrim app. If your Spanish is not very good I would recommend opening it on Google in your smart phone because you could set it up for automatic translation. The translation isn’t bad at all. Not great but you’ll understand. Buen Camino

I have three guides with me (in Santillana del Mar now) and have used all three.
The Cicerone guide can be purchased as an ebook and I believe the updates version will be out very soon.
The Buen Camino app has been essential! You can download the maps for use offline and location doesn't use data. With location on you can see yourself in the map and in profile.
I also carry with me the Wise Pilgrim book and use it for planning stages.
Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Good information. I'll load the Buen Camino app and check out using Gronze with Google translation. This forum rocks! Buen Camino and Muchas Gracias.....

Walked el Norte alone in March with Wise Pilgrim Guide Book (I took minebto Faxcopy shop and had them make it a spiral binding great great idea). The accompanying App was the best and I didn’t have internet service. It works off of satellite gps. You can literally see footpaths on the app map. Gronze is no where near anything I would use especially when walking very much alone in remoter stretches. Buen camino.

If you're reading German, French or Spanish, the best is the one by Cordula Rabe of the German edition Rother. Very nice maps that would help you find alternative ways in case of any difficulties, adresses, telephones and quite a lot of cultural and historic background. And the size that just fits my pocket. I've used it on La Plata and Norte.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you Colette and Dominik. The Wise Pilgrim app sounds magical!

I tried to use the Wise Pilgrim app and couldn't get it to work on my Android phone. But my friend is able to use it on her Apple phone. If you download it, be sure to test it out first.

I will for sure....I've got an Apple phone.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back