• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Shoes?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello! I think most of the time would be fine in regular running shoes, but there will definitely be times when you'll benefit from having the extra traction of a trail runner. Additionally, some trail runners have a (removable) rock plate, which will be helpful on golf-ball-sized gravel. Keep shopping for and trying on different trail runners--there are some out there that are like walking on clouds.

Many people do the entire journey in running shoes. Heck, there's a contingent that do it in sandals!

Your REI advisor isn't "wrong" about trail runners. And there ARE patches of the trail that are a bit more rugged and uncertain than a running shoe was designed for, but that doesn't make the trail impassible. The most important thing about shoes is fit, leading to comfort, leading to a blister free Camino. Blisters are the scourge to be avoided at all cost.

If the running shoe is what you have confidence in, then you should wear it. When you hit the rough patches, and there aren't that many, take it slow to avoid injuring your feet. You'll be fine.

Buen Camino

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
If your pack weight hovers around 10 pounds and you are not prone to leg injuries, go with the road shoes. If you are going heavier and are prone to leg injuries, go with light hikers, but try to avoid trail runners. I used to work at REI, and as much as I love my old crew there, many of them don't realize how much more pavement walking is involved on the Camino, and any knowledgeable shoe retailer will know that trail running shoes can actually cause injury if you overuse them on paved roads.

Try it out before you leave. Load up your pack, put on your shoes, and walk for 10-15 miles. Then do it again the following day. Then walk with fully-loaded pack and your favorite shoes as often as you can, long walks as much as possible (Yes, we all have time limits on how long/often we can do this!). Go up and down hills and walk on a variety of surfaces. You'll begin to get a good idea of what works for you. Everyone is different. Good luck and e joy!

The biggest difference in road running shoes and trail running shoes are the amount of cushioning, a beefed up stability -- even for trail shoes described as a 'neutral gait or pronation shoe --, and the placement of a thermoplastic rock plate embedded between the sole and the shoe -- very lightweight and flexible -- which protects feet from being punched by rocks, roots and other debris. If you've ever had a bruise or soreness on the sole of your foot after coming down on a sharp protruding chunk of rock or gravel, then you'll appreciate the rock plate for hiking and walking.

Trail runners will also have a more aggressive tread, with the material being more slip resistant under wet conditions.

You'll undoubtedly be walking many hours of each day, much longer than when doing a recreational or workout run. Feet will swell. So, with your present shoe size, you may need to consider whether or not to adjust for a wider shoe size.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You definitely want trail runners for the support especially as you descend steep and rocky terrain. you have a higher probability to have foot or ankle injury in running shoes and there is no reason to assume that risk. Plenty of the trail runners at REI are equally as comfortable as running shoes, I would suggest trying the La Sportiva and Brooks.

On the Camino Frances I can count the number of "trails" on one hand. Well, maybe I'm exaggerating, but regular running shoes will work fine. Seriously. You do not need "trail runners." Many people do the entire camino in sandals! I did the entire CF in Merrell Moab Ventilator hiking shoes even they were overkill since most of the walking on the CF is on asphalt, concrete, cobblestones or hard-dirt. I have since switched to New Balance running shoes! I think your running shoes, which are "way" more comfortable, will be a great choice. I recommend some sort of insoles such as Superfeet, the green or blue versions. I use green. :cool:

Here is what I'm wearing on my VDLP this year:
IMG_2010.JPG

Regular running shoes, trail runners or low hiking type shoes/boots. They're all good choices for the Camino and you will see them all worn on the Camino and successfully worn from Saint Jean to Santiago. Just depends on the person, their feet, their overall physical condition, their age, their body weight, prior injuries etc. You know yourself better than anybody. Certainly better that the outdoor store "pro".
If in doubt get some Asics trail runners (Gel Kahanas). I have a pair of them and they aren't any heavier than my regular running shoes. They just have a grippier sole with small lugs, which could come in handy sometimes on the natural surface sections of the Camino, especially when it involves downhill, wet surfaces.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Everyone is different, and all feet are different. Even on one person, their two feet are likely different. So, any footwear solution is necessarily highly individualized, and should be tailored to your specific needs.

As regards light running / training shoes versus specialized trail runners or low hiking shoes, I suggest the later for added foot support. Walking the Camino is not the same as a walk across town.

Consider that you will be in these shoes for 8 plus hours each day, in all weather. You will be carrying the added weight of a loaded rucksack, plus water. You will be walking up hills, and down hills. Do consider using hiking poles.

Surprisingly, going down hill is more difficult. Remember, gravity sucks! It WANTS to grab you and hurl you down the hill. Losing your footing makes this easier for Mr. Gravity...

Sometimes you will be walking on flat paved surfaces. However, at other times, you will be walking on broken rocks, gravel and uneven and angled terrain.

The stiffer trail runner and low hiking shoes will provide added stiffness and support to the bottom of your feet when you walk over uneven surfaces with protrusions. Conventional running / training shoes will transmit the pointy bits to your feet.

Stiffer trail runners or low hiking shoes will also provide more torsional support to prevent foot flexing to the side. This is how ankle injuries occur, and they are very common on the Camino.

Moving right along, many of us, myself included, wear mid-height (ankle high) hiking boots. The reasons for this are also personalized. In my case, my body is top-heavy.:eek: Adding a loaded rucksack affects my center of balance in a comical way... Plus, I have weak ankles, always have... Then, literally on top of that, I am not a petite fellow.

So, all of these personal attributes taken together, dictate the need for the added support one gets from mid-height hiking shoes. For reference, for my past five Caminos I have worn Keen Targhee II hiking shoes. I am on my second pair. After a full Camino Frances, I have them resoled. After three Caminos, my first pair had had enough and I retired them in favor of an identical third pair. In April, they will head out on their third (my sixth) Camino.

Just as an FYI, this shoe is available in a low-cut version and is available for both men and women. It offers excellent torsional stability and sole protection.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi - I am struggling between wearing running shoes and trail runners. REI folks say I should wear trail runners because I am carrying a pack, 10 pounds. However, my Asics running shoes are way more comfortable. Do you think I will be OK on the trails without the heavier lugs on trail runners?

Thanks!
Wear the shoe that won’t give you blisters!!!

Hi - I am struggling between wearing running shoes and trail runners. REI folks say I should wear trail runners because I am carrying a pack, 10 pounds. However, my Asics running shoes are way more comfortable. Do you think I will be OK on the trails without the heavier lugs on trail runners?

Thanks!
Depends on time of year. In early spring, trails can be deep in mud. In my opinion, in these conditions, only boots will keep your feet dry. The rest of the year shoes are probably fine but personally, I stick to lightweight boots.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My Camino has been delayed for several years - first caring for my elderly Mum, overlapping and now full-time caring for my youngest sister, who has ALS. In the meanwhile, I keep on doing long hikes with my overloaded Camino backpack and these boots that came recommended here in the forum. They are lightweight, breathable, and supportive. Perhaps they are overkill, but they have worked well for this now 73-year old over all types of practice terrain. New Balance 978. They are just part of my feet now. I'm on my third pair. FWIW, my inserts are orange Superfeet.
New Balance 978 - 2018-02-26.png

Last edited:

Thanks!
If you feel that the Asics are good and comfortable with you, then use them!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you feel that the Asics are good and comfortable with you, then use them!

I totally agree with you. I did the Camino the Santiago twice already and both already in my 60s.

My number #1 recommendation to all of you falks who want to do the camino the sanitago is to wear a supportive footwear...

I suffer from heel pain and the best decision I could have made was doing the camino de Santaigo with Brooks running shoes. You are going to walk a lot so make sure you find a good cushioned shoes especially if you have suffered from plantar fasciitis.

All of the shoes listed below are a great choice on my opinion.

https://treatplantarfasciitis.com/b...sport-shoes-to-treat-plantar-fasciits-in-2019

Thanks!

Yeah! I think it is Okay. You can try trails runners for running.

Being a shoe size 14 4E I have always found it impossible to buy wide trainers and would usually have to order them from the US until I came across a UK company who stock an amazing range of New Balance trainers and hiking shoes https://www.widefitshoes.co.uk/men/wide-trainers/

I have now purchased 6 times and would definitely recommend them if you are looking for comfortable wide footwear!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
New balance trail runners

Anniesantiago, for a newbie would you recommend practicing in one pair and bringing a new pair to walk? Most of the info I've seen says you don't need to break the trailrunners in, and I don't want to wear my NB's out before I even start...

Anniesantiago, for a newbie would you recommend practicing in one pair and bringing a new pair to walk? Most of the info I've seen says you don't need to break the trailrunners in, and I don't want to wear my NB's out before I even start...
I casual wear my trail runners for a few months before I start my Camino.

€46,-

It is correct that there is no breaking in required for trail runners, street runners, and many models of hiking shoes. The materials used in the construction are lightweight materials that are ready to wear. In fact, ifa pair of trail runners is feeling a bit tight or with areas of pressure points, or they just don't feel 'right' out of the box, they will not get better down the road with miles on them. The shoe needs to fit and feel good when trying them on.

As to whether or not to use a new pair for Camino, a lot depends on how tough you are on shoes :). Mileage wise, the useful cushioning for a trail runner is between 450 to 600 miles. On my Pacific Crest Trail thru-hike, I sent myself a new pair of the trail runners I was wearing about every 450 miles, in my re-supply drop boxes.

Factors affecting useful life include how much someone weighs, whether they have pronation or supination/motion control issues, types of terrain, gait, etc. They all play a significant role in how long a pair of street or trail runners will actually last. If you have the budget, buy a new pair for Camino. Even if there is plenty of useful life in the pair you train in, starting with a fresh pair is nice. And you will then have both pairs of the shoes at home after camino that will still have plenty of life left.

If you are pinching pennies, then evaluate how many miles your trainers have when you will leave on Camino, how the outersole and uppers are holding up to wear and tear, and then decide if you need a new pair.

If you do decide to go with two pair, I would not buy the second pair until you are sure you are comfortable with the performance and feel of your training pair.

When I used trail runners I brought a new pair of the same model that I trained in, which I wore a few times just to make sure that they didn't have any defects in them.

No. I wouldn't worry about it.
I've worn the same shoes on two Caminos back to back with no issues.

And honestly, most people get their training ON the Camino by starting out a little slow and gradually increasing distance. It really doesn't require "training" if you are in good general health.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The biggest difference in road running shoes and trail running shoes are the amount of cushioning, a beefed up stability -- even for trail shoes described as a 'neutral gait or pronation shoe --, and the placement of a thermoplastic rock plate embedded between the sole and the shoe -- very lightweight and flexible -- which protects feet from being punched by rocks, roots and other debris. If you've ever had a bruise or soreness on the sole of your foot after coming down on a sharp protruding chunk of rock or gravel, then you'll appreciate the rock plate for hiking and walking.

Trail runners will also have a more aggressive tread, with the material being more slip resistant under wet conditions.

You'll undoubtedly be walking many hours of each day, much longer than when doing a recreational or workout run. Feet will swell. So, with your present shoe size, you may need to consider whether or not to adjust for a wider shoe size.
Thank you Dave for explaining this. Are the Hola Bondi 6 classified as trail runners or road running shoes? I bought a pair and have been alternating between my Salomons and the Hokas on my training walks to see what are the most comfortable. My podiatrist favoured the hokas for cushioning and lightness.

Thank you Dave for explaining this. Are the Hola Bondi 6 classified as trail runners or road running shoes? I bought a pair and have been alternating between my Salomons and the Hokas on my training walks to see what are the most comfortable. My podiatrist favoured the hokas for cushioning and lightness.

The Hoka One One Bondi are classified as a road running shoe, but they are quite adequate for Camino as far as traction is concerned. I use them backpacking and dayhikes with a variety of trail conditions and they work well.

If you do not need an extra wide width in a shoe, the Hoka Women's Stinson ATR v 5 shares about the same level of cushioning and support, but they have a deeper lug for an outer sole.

The Hoka One One Bondi are classified as a road running shoe, but they are quite adequate for Camino as far as traction is concerned. I use them backpacking and dayhikes with a variety of trail conditions and they work well.

If you do not need an extra wide width in a shoe, the Hoka Women's Stinson ATR v 5 shares about the same level of cushioning and support, but they have a deeper lug for an outer sole.
Many thanks Dave. 👍

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have worn 5 different brands of trail runners on 5 varying caminos and didn't really have issues with any of them, but my absolute favorites were Hokas, which I always describe as "walking on marshmellows". My son loves La Sportivas for his long distance hikes, but I've not tried them myself.

I plan to wear this Bruno Marc Men's Walking Shoes for my Camino trip in 2020,

also ,I'm sure you are aware of the performance benefits of good socks.
I doubt the shoes would withstand the varied terrain of the Camino IMHO.
"Trail shoes offer durable soles with more aggressive tread patterns to defend against rocks, sticks and other obstacles one might encounter on the trails. They are wide and close to the ground to provide support on uneven surfaces, preventing the ankle from twisting when the foot comes down on bumps or rocks on the trail. In addition, most trail running shoes offer a protective toe bumper to guard against stubbed toes."

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks to all for your replies. This is very helpful. Will be on the trail 4/16!
I have had various issues of pain, blisters and leg problems on the different Camino trips. Twice now I have worn Merrel FST 2 Gortex and walked some days up to 29 or 33 kms without blisters or any pain whatsoever. Just my experience but each of us are different. Check them out on Amazon. Get half size up if anybody wants to try them. Require breaking in and use an insole. Burn Camino

Thanks!
Everyone has given fairly good advice, but I believe the shoes you wear should be a discussion between you and your feet. I picked a shoe based on my particular requirements, and at the top of the list was great traction for down hill walking. Then did may training walks of distance, 10 ish miles. and finally did a week of 10 mile walks, full pack, every day. Boy did that teach me a few things about my feet and shoes.

So as with many things, do your research (like here), make a decision, and do a real test. I think that is the only way to really know before your leave.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.