• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best starting point with 21 days

Sandie

Time of past OR future Camino
French route 2016
Hi there, I start my first camino near the end of September, I had initially planned on starting in sjdpp, with over five wks to spare
But now due to family commitments I need to shave it down to just three weeks
Can anyone recommend a good starting point that I can take to santiago de compostela that would be doable within 21 day time frame?
I would like to take in as much as the camino as possible, but as it's my first time I should possibly not try to be overly ambitious either!
Thanks for reading...all information greatly appreciated
Also...can you or do you need to pre book accommodation thanks xx sandie

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Critical factor: How far can you walk? 20km means 21 x 20 = 420 km.

Critical factor: How do you get there? Regular train and bus service.

So you need a place that meets both criteria.

Sahagun is located 387.5 km from Santiago and has regular service by Renfe train.

Burgos.
About 20-21 days from Santiago for a pilgrim walking at an average pace, and I'm sure you can get to Burgos from wherever you are arriving at in Spain.
If that's not doable, Carrion de los Condes is a few days closer, and probably ALSA buses go there.
No, you do not need to pre-book accommodations.
cheers and ultreia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Critical factor: How far can you walk? 20km means 21 x 20 = 420 km.

Critical factor: How do you get there? Regular train and bus service.

So you need a place that meets both criteria.

Sahagun is located 387.5 km from Santiago and has regular service by Renfe train.
Great information. ..exactly what I was looking to establish. ..I would say I am of reasonable fitness...I had intended on doing 25k per day aprox. ..but I will need to factor in rest times too, so now I need to start looking at those good points you've made!
Thank you for your help x

Burgos.
About 20-21 days from Santiago for a pilgrim walking at an average pace, and I'm sure you can get to Burgos from wherever you are arriving at in Spain.
If that's not doable, Carrion de los Condes is a few days closer, and probably ALSA buses go there.
No, you do not need to pre-book accommodations.
cheers and ultreia
Thank you so much, I have been considering starting from burgos!
So I will check out bus services that are available.

Thank you for your helpful response x san

@Sandie So to clarify you have already taken your travel time off going to your start point & returning from Santiago correct? If you have the I would agree with Mark. If not then take 4 days away from 21. That way you have some buffer.
You also can do this like many Europeans walk with no destination in mind from any start point & plan on your return to finish, if there really is such a thing other than death. Oh no I just realized that is a beginning of something else... You will have a high probability of wanting to return. & like many others try different Caminos. From my perspective it was the closest to real freedom I have ever experienced. So maybe just show up however & go. It's all good.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Sandie So to clarify you have already taken your travel time off going to your start point & returning from Santiago correct? If you have the I would agree with Mark. If not then take 4 days away from 21. That way you have some buffer.
You also can do this like many Europeans walk with no destination in mind from any start point & plan on your return to finish, if there really is such a thing other than death. Oh no I just realized that is a beginning of something else... You will have a high probability of wanting to return. & like many others try different Caminos. From my perspective it was the closest to real freedom I have ever experienced. So maybe just show up however & go. It's all good.
I love this response!
It's a nice reminder of why I have decided on my camino! I like the sense of freedom just walking and seeing where I end up, the lack of schedule and the no burden of feeling like there is a specific means to the end...its really what the camino means for me!
And if I had more time (this time) I would just land and leave wherever the way took me... I do need to plan flights and buses though...so hence the need for some general direction as to where a good reasonable starting point might be!
But I have no doubt I will return ...its funny how your soul can ache for somewhere you hav'nt even been to yet! :)
Thank you....great response x

I love this response!
It's a nice reminder of why I have decided on my camino! I like the sense of freedom just walking and seeing where I end up, the lack of schedule and the no burden of feeling like there is a specific means to the end...its really what the camino means for me!
And if I had more time (this time) I would just land and leave wherever the way took me... I do need to plan flights and buses though...so hence the need for some general direction as to where a good reasonable starting point might be!
But I have no doubt I will return ...its funny how your soul can ache for somewhere you hav'nt even been to yet! :)
Thank you....great response x
If you have the call that strong this will have a very strong impact with you.
Buen Camino
Keith

Yup, definitely Burgos!

You can also get there easily by train or bus from Madrid.

Plan to spend a day or two there before starting towards Santiago.

The city is hugely historic and significant to the history of Spain and of all of Western Europe. It is clearly worthy of a separate tourist visit. Do not allow the opportunity pass you by.

I hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back