• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best time to walk

sharon w

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
Might have already covered this topic, however, does anyone have info on the best time to walk the Le Puy route? We are going next year and wish to walk Le Puy to SJPDP, maybe have a break, then through to Santiago. If in spring, is April too early? Or, is it better to start in August?
Thanks,
Sharon

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are tradeoffs. For walking in France, it helps to know when the French turn out in droves to hike. There are popular walking times at Holy Week (week before Easter, which is a moveable feast), four long weekends in May (May Day, V-E Day, Ascencion and Pentecost -- which are also moveable feasts). June is fairly quiet. Holidays start with July and continue through August. In September, the schools are back in session and so the retirees celebrate their freedom by walking. There is another long holiday at the end of October for All Saints.

The early section after Le Puy has considerable elevation and was already quite cool at night in early September; I imagine in April you might still be glimpsing snow after a winter as hard as this has been. August temperatures in the flatlands past Moissac can be quite hot.

So, being prepared for the weather takes a little more gear and weight (cold wet weather) or a little more water (hot dry weather). You can always ship gear on ahead if it's the wrong kit for your immediate needs.

I started walking from Le Puy mid-April and that timing suited me well. Quite cold across the Aubrac Plateau, and a couple of days with snow, but not too bad. Quite wet in patches. There are a lot of public holidays in May, but so long as you are aware of them and book ahead a little, you should be fine. (Any public holiday in France has a way of turning into a long weekend!) The south of France can be very hot in summer: I hit a few hot days in April-May, but never for too long.
Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In 2009 I started from Le Puy 15.08 and went to Santiago. It was hot in the beginning, 25-35C which is hot for a Norwegian living in the north.
But the paths were dry and many places I was glad it was hot because in wet weather it might have been more difficult to walk the ups and downs.
Did not have much rain until the last two days in France and the last days before Santiago.
There were berries and fruit along the road, but cornacres and sunfloweracres were faded and boring.
Guess the spring with all its flowers is beautiful. Therefore I am thinking of going back next spring and walk the French part in June.
Randi

I have been walking the Le-Puy-route two weeks each year for three years now, always in the second half of June. I have found that a very good time; not too many walkers, good weather but not too hot, green nature. Bjørg

Thanks everyone for your replies. The last two caminos we walked were in autumn and the weather was fantastic. However, we were thinking it would be good to see the spring flowers, especially in France. The trade off will probably be more rain at this time.
Sharon

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I set off from Le Puy in the last week of May 2007. Most days required only t-shirt and shorts but the weather varied from cold to hot with a bit of rain thrown in for good measure - not surprising when you are walking for a month. The wildflowers were absolutely glorious at that time of year.

It would be my preferred time to walk in France but if you intend to continue to Santiago, I would probably start end of April/beginning of May to avoid walking in Spain in the heat of July.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back