• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Short walk in France - planning

Wyd

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2023
I have some time in France and am thinking about doing a week or so on the Camino probably starting in Le Puy en velay - or maybe further south. Just starting my research from NZ
How easy is it to book accomodation on the route? I’d prefer hostel or bnb type accomm (but singke room) I’m travelling solo but it would be nice to meet some others at the end of the day. Is there a recommended website to look at?
And can I get a big shipped from the starting point directly to the end point ( say a week’s walk away) and have it stored at one end or the other?
Thanks and more qs to come!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is easy to book ahead. Information about accomodation you can find at Gronze.com. Most hostels offer communal meals, that is why you are required to book at least one day ahead. I think most accomodations will have private rooms.The first two weeks are very beautifull

It is easy to book ahead. Information about accomodation you can find at Gronze.com. Most hostels offer communal meals, that is why you are required to book at least one day ahead. I think most accomodations will have private rooms.The first two weeks are very beautifull
Great! Thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A great resource of accomodations along the route

EDIT: Have deleted this link. Post #12 has the correct link to the file

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have some time in France and am thinking about doing a week or so on the Camino probably starting in Le Puy en velay - or maybe further south. Just starting my research from NZ
How easy is it to book accomodation on the route? I’d prefer hostel or bnb type accomm (but singke room) I’m travelling solo but it would be nice to meet some others at the end of the day. Is there a recommended website to look at?
And can I get a big shipped from the starting point directly to the end point ( say a week’s walk away) and have it stored at one end or the other?
Here’s a useful resource.

I Love Walking in France Chemin de Saint-Jacques du-Puy from Le-Puy-en-Velay to Aumont-Aubrac By Melinda Lusmore 4th Edition, February 2019 Copyright 2019 Melinda Lusmore

In October I walked the Chemin Arles from Pau to Somport Pass. My first walk in France and I was charmed. 8 days to Canfranc Pueblo in Spain. But I am old and slow. We used the Miam Miam Dodo guidebook. I don't speak French but my French son in law does! And perfect Spanish. We walked on to the Camino Aragones and then the Frances. I could interpret the Miam Miam Dodo information pretty easily (but didn't have to.) Very little road walking on this section of the Arles. Always the imposing Pyrenees ahead. Bon Chemin

This

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
La Malle Postale, based in Le Puy, can arrange baggage transfer to any point on the Chemin de Compostelle, and the same for walkers.

Another try

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bonjour! If you have 10- 11 days to walk you could finish in the amazing village of Conques. We walked from Le Puy en Valey to SJPdP in 2018 - taking 11 days to Conques but we walked some shorter days. We booked all our accommodation up to here before we left home (Adelaide,Australia) as this part is very popular. We stayed in mostly Gites using Miam Miam Dodo and the Lightfoot Guide to the Via Podiensis by Angelynn Meya - not sure if there is a more up to date version of this.

Last edited:
I LOVE this route! Used Miam Miam Do Do maps/book and booked gites usually on bookingdotcom. The gites are lovely, usually a few bedrooms, gracious hosts who go out of their way to welcome you and share their incredible food, hospitality and home. The trail is gorgeous; if you can stretch a few extra days into a couple of weeks, Le Puy to Figeac and then north up to Rocamadour is really wonderful. Conques and St Come d’Olt are especially beautiful! From there, it was easy to jump a train and head to the Paris airport. Also found this website helpful: https://ilovewalkinginfrance.com/walking-chemin-de-saint-jacques-du-puy/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I Love Walking in France Chemin de Saint-Jacques du-Puy from Le-Puy-en-Velay to Aumont-Aubrac By Melinda Lusmore 4th Edition, February 2019 Copyright 2019 Melinda Lusmore
Thanks for that. Will have a look.

Another try
That's great thanks Jan. Very comprehensive.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bonjour! If you have 10- 11 days to walk you could finish in the amazing village of Conques. We walked from Le Puy en Valey to SJPdP in 2018 - taking 11 days to Conques but we walked some shorter days. We booked all our accommodation up to here before we left home (Adelaide,Australia) as this part is very popular. We stayed in mostly Gites using Miam Miam Dodo and the Lightfoot Guide to the Via Podiensis by Angelynn Meya - not sure if there is a more up to date version of this.
Yes, that looks really good and Miam Miam Dodo guides seem to come up a lot. What do you consider a 'shorter day?'

I LOVE this route! Used Miam Miam Do Do maps/book and booked gites usually on bookingdotcom. The gites are lovely, usually a few bedrooms, gracious hosts who go out of their way to welcome you and share their incredible food, hospitality and home. The trail is gorgeous; if you can stretch a few extra days into a couple of weeks, Le Puy to Figeac and then north up to Rocamadour is really wonderful. Conques and St Come d’Olt are especially beautiful! From there, it was easy to jump a train and head to the Paris airport. Also found this website helpful: https://ilovewalkinginfrance.com/walking-chemin-de-saint-jacques-du-puy/
Thanks, that's helpful. - I'm getting more excited about thjs as I go! (It wasn't my original plan for France)

Lots of useful comments thanks - this forum is really helpful.
I am planning to walk in early June. Do I need to start booking accom now?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thanks. Will see if I can track it down.

In October I walked the Chemin Arles from Pau to Somport Pass. My first walk in France and I was charmed. 8 days to Canfranc Pueblo in Spain. But I am old and slow. We used the Miam Miam Dodo guidebook. I don't speak French but my French son in law does! And perfect Spanish. We walked on to the Camino Aragones and then the Frances. I could interpret the Miam Miam Dodo information pretty easily (but didn't have to.) Very little road walking on this section of the Arles. Always the imposing Pyrenees ahead. Bon Chemin
Sounds good. I don't speak French but have enough Spanish to get by - although I won't be walking in Spain on this trip

Yes, that looks really good and Miam Miam Dodo guides seem to come up a lot. What do you consider a 'shorter day?'
We had a 14km day from Montbonnet to Monistrol d'Allier then 12km from there to Sauges and 10km from Senergues to Conques. Otherwise about 17 - 26km You can see our stages and where we stayed (some may still be operating!) in my blog walking500more.wordpress.com if you are interested. As others have said the gites and the food were fantastic - we did demipension when available.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Regarding Miam Miam Dodo. It is a " big name" for the via Podiensis. If it is available as a e-book I would go for that one. The paperversion to me was not very helpfull. It has in itself good maps, but on each map was only a small part of a daystage Such a detailed map is very handy when you need them to navigate. But the trail is very well marked so you won't need to use them. The few times I needed it, mainly when I wanted to look up my route of a certain day I found it not that easy to find what I was looking for. In the ebook you probably could zoom in and out.
As i also did not need the guides for searching acomodations, I gave them away to fellow pilgrims.
I found the site of Gronze.com very usefull. It is in spanish but on most smartphones you can translate the text. Big advantage over the paperguides is that its contents is actualised regularly. It gives, stageprofils, routedescriptions, warnings for somewhat complicated situations and probably the most used part : the list of accomodations, with reviews of customers " clickable" phonenumbers and so on.

No, probably not, but May into June is the busiest time on the GR65 Via Podiensis ... so, it might be a good idea to reserve / book accommodations for the first three or four days to get the lie of the land ...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you
La Malle Postale, based in Le Puy, can arrange baggage transfer to any point on the Chemin de Compostelle, and the same for walkers.
La Malle Postale transfer bags as far as Lectoure ... beyond that point it is necessary to use «les Valises de Saint-Jacques» [excellent and a new service since 2022] OR «Transports Claudine» ...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Another try
Thank you! It works! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes! I am planning right now for May. I asked at a few places if it is useful to make a reservation and if yes, when. There answer: NOW. Some of them are already booked out!! This is crazy stuff! Usually I would just walk...

Le Puy to Conques is the most popular stretch with several villages on the 'most beautiful' list - as mentioned in my earlier post we prebooked all our accommodation up to Conques. After this we only booked 2-3 days ahead. A lot of French (and others from Europe) walk in 1-2 week blocks, there were only a few of us walking through to SJJdP and beyound.

Careful! I will also need to send a suitcase from Le Puy to the end of my VP (Figeac or Cahors still planning). I'm told laMalle transports up to 14kg only.

Another try
Thanks for this handy list of accommodation. Just starting to plan our Camino so it will be very useful.

Yes! I am planning right now for May. I asked at a few places if it is useful to make a reservation and if yes, when. There answer: NOW. Some of them are already booked out!! This is crazy stuff! Usually I would just walk...
Which route are you saying is booking up already for May/June..!??????

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back