• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best Value Backpack

contraprincess

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 & planning 2015 walk
I was wondering if you guys had any good suggestions for a cheap but well put together backpack that myself and my friend can take across the Camino. We are trying to keep costs down so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am not an expert, nor do I play one on TV, but here is what I did. First, I went to REI to get fitted for a backpack (many sporting goods stores will help you with that). Then, I took that information, and bought the pack online for a lower price. I did buy other gear while at REI, but found my big ticket items for less online. With hiking backpacks, it is really important to have the right fit, so you are better off trying them on before buying. I would also talk with the salesperson about the size you need....smaller is better, as it helps you to be more mindful of what you are taking with you, but don't go too small! I will be taking an Osprey Talon 33l pack when I leave on Aug. 27th.

Buen Camino!

Ruth

contraprincess said:
I was wondering if you guys had any good suggestions for a cheap but well put together backpack
There are two areas where you must not cut corners. Footwear and Backpack. You must get a pack that is big enough (up to 40l is about right) and fits well (get advice on what constitutes 'fitting well'). As a general rule your full pack should weigh no more than 10% of your bodyweight including water and food.
Ruth's suggestion of a Osprey Talon 33 is a great starting point. I took a Talon 44 last time, a little bigger as I needed extra clothing for Europe, both before and after. (I sent this extra clothing forward to Santiago)

Buen Camino
Gerard

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ruth,

I know this was not your intent, but speaking as a former retail business owner, it really hurt when customers would use my store and my employees' time to select products only to purchase them online for less money.

Retailers with physical stores have additional expenses like utilities, staff salaries, rent and insurance that online retailers do not. This is why they must charge more for the same product. With that additional cost comes additional service - the ability to try before you buy and the assistance of trained staff to help you with your selection. If you use these services, it is only fair that the retailer gets the sale.

Prior to owning a retail store, I always went for the best price regardless of whose time and expertise I used. Now that I understand the cost of that extra service, I don't mind paying a bit more. If everyone bought online there would be no more physical stores left.

I encourage others to think about this before purchasing at the lowest price.

Enough said.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ruth,
Sorry for intruding on your messaging regarding backpacks, but i noticed Ruth indicated a departure of August 27th. I will be arriving in SJPDP on August 27th and departing on the 28th/29th. It would be nice to talk with someone who is going in the same time frame and who has traveled the camino before. This is my first camino adventure.
You may send message directly.

Dan

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

thanks for the info... i will be looking for my pack this weekend.

I do take the point ... AND agree.... about buying from the retailers who are willing to help with the fitting..... I will be doing this :)... good service should mean good sales... well so I think...

Cheers
Annie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Can anyone compare Ostrel to Bueter ???? I guess it is an individual thing... I do like the way Bueter open at the bottom as well as the top

Annie

ktchnofdngr said:
... First, I went to REI to get fitted for a backpack (many sporting goods stores will help you with that). Then, I took that information, and bought the pack online for a lower price...
This is not intended as a criticism of your purchasing strategy, but one of the advantages of buying from REI is that if you are a member of the REI co-op, they have a very liberal return/exchange policy. My wife and I both bought boots from REI many months ago as we began our training. Over the course of time -- and at least 500 miles of walking in the boots -- we both realized that even though we had bought them larger than our regular size, our feet had seemed to expand. We went back to REI and exchanged them for a half size larger with no questions asked. My wife even changed brands on hers. This return/exchange guarantee is good for a year (it used to be longer but unscrupulous folks were abusing it). So yes, you may pay a bit more at REI, but if you exchange only one major item beyond the normal 30-day return offered by many retailers, it's worth the few extra bucks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I realize that it is better, when you can, to buy gear from the store. And I DID buy some of my gear from them...but the REI website was cheaper than the store for sleeping bag, so I got it there instead, and it was the same for my hiking shoes. The problem is that I have a VERY limited budget, so I had to make every dollar stretch.

And I made a typo...i am leaving home on Aug 29, and will begin walking from Burgos on the 30th. I hope to see you there!

Ruth

ktchnofdngr said:
I realize that it is better, when you can, to buy gear from the store. And I DID buy some of my gear from them...but the REI website was cheaper than the store for sleeping bag, so I got it there instead, and it was the same for my hiking shoes. The problem is that I have a VERY limited budget, so I had to make every dollar stretch.

And I made a typo...i am leaving home on Aug 29, and will begin walking from Burgos on the 30th. I hope to see you there!
Ruth
OK, I think I see now that you bought the gear from the REI website after trying it out in the store. That makes sense, and is not the same as taking advantage of REI's in-store time and expertise and then buying from a different on-line retailer.

Maybe we'll see you in or around Burgos -- we should be reaching there sometime in that timeframe if all goes according to schedule.

To all the posts regarding the best value backpack. I thought i was ready with the kelty backpack i used for hiking while on hunting trips. I decided to break down after reading all of the posts regarding REI. I went to REI and told the sales person in the backpack section what i was doing - camino or bust. The sales person measured me and made several suggestions. I offered some of the name brands discussed on the forum. The sales person loaded each pack with a range of weights from 20-30 pounds. I walked around the store for two hours with the different backpacks and weights. The sales person was very patient with me. I found the one and only backpack for me, Osprey kestrel 48. It fit my torso like a glove.
I loaded it down when i got home and walked to work the next morning - 8 miles one way. I walked again today in a rain storm. My wife thought i was crazy, but i told her that i will be walking in the rain soon on the camino. The Osprey Krestrel 48 had its own built in rain cover. Worked great!
I probably would not have went to REI if it wasnt for these posts. I also was trying to complete the camino at a reduced cost but now believe the money spent on the pack was well worth it.
Thanks again to each of you and maybe i will see you on the camino in late august - Leaving from SJPDP

Dan

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Annie Little said:
I do like the way Dueter open at the bottom as well as the top
It's a very difficult comparison as both brands make great packs. Perhaps Osprey have an advantage in their lifetime guarantee.
As to the bottom opening question you will find that if your contents are type grouped (large zip locks etc), and you haven't got a lot of gear anyway, emptying your pack to get a something right at the bottom is not really a problem. Most folks put their sleeping gear in the bottom so you won't need it til you arrive at your accommodation.
While initially I thought the "off the back frame" on newer models was a really good idea, I've gone off them as they make more difficult to pack, shift the centre of gravity somewhat off your back, and, imo, give little ventilation advantage.

Regds
Gerard -Queenslander!

I carry a REI ultralight pack for my Camino pack and would not choose any other. If you can buy one during their sales, it is a great value.
Another company that makes a good value pack is Alps Mountaineering. I bought one of these for my son to take on a 10 day backpacking trip and was very impressed with their quality. If you are a Scout, contact them directly about getting special pricing that makes these packs almost an unbeatable value.
http://Www.scoutdirect.com

Rambler

Hello All,

I was happy to go to REI, become a lifetime member for $20, apply for the REI Visa, get the Visa, purchase one item (pack of gum), get a $100 REI gift card. I returned to REI to try on several backpacks with the help from Bev. I decided on the Osprey Kestrel 38L. With my $100 gift card, plus a $20 gift card from my wonderful daughter for my Bday, in addition to the 20% member savings during REI's anniversary sale, I paid a whopping $6.35 for my Camino backpack. Now that's what I call a "Best Value Backpack" :lol:

Seriously though, I am purely blessed to have recieved my backpack at such an amazing price. God knew I was struggling with some unexpected expenses and I briefly questioned whether or not I should go on my walk. But, since God had invited me, I knew if I kept my faith and continued toward the Camino, God would provide. It's as though He said 'Well done Angela, now here's your backpack". God is good. :) Amen to that!

Peace and Love to all and Buen Camino,
Angela

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.