• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Best way to get from Biarritz Airport to Sarria!

EveWood1994

Camino(s) past & future
None
Hi. Myself and my boyfriend are planning on doing the French Camino in October. We are meeting his family in Sarria for the final stretch of it. They will be coming from Biarritz and we are struggling to find a way for them to get to sarria in a reasonable amount of time. Rome to Rio is suggesting 4/5 buses or trains to get there. Does anyone know of a route that requires less changes? They arrive in biarritz at 3pm on a Saturday and we hope to meet them in Sarria to start the Camino on the Monday so if anyone can help on the best way to split up the route. Buses and trains also appear to be less frequent on the Sunday. Is there any buses and run soley through the French Camino route?

Panka

returning pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
2016 sept. 4 - CF
2019 sept. 2 - CF
Rome2Rio is quite accurate on available options. I did also a train-bus combo but on separate days. Considering they want to take an almost 700 km trip from France to the western part of Spain, the timeframe is valid. The only shorter option is if the would arrive by airplane to Santiago de Compostela, and take a bus/train from there to Sarria which is about 3 hours.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Hi. Myself and my boyfriend are planning on doing the French Camino in October. We are meeting his family in Sarria for the final stretch of it. They will be coming from Biarritz and we are struggling to find a way for them to get to sarria in a reasonable amount of time. Rome to Rio is suggesting 4/5 buses or trains to get there. Does anyone know of a route that requires less changes? They arrive in biarritz at 3pm on a Saturday and we hope to meet them in Sarria to start the Camino on the Monday so if anyone can help on the best way to split up the route. Buses and trains also appear to be less frequent on the Sunday. Is there any buses and run soley through the French Camino route?
It doesn't change a thing but why would they come to Biarritz if they want to go to Sarria??? Why not Santiago or A Coruna or Vigo airport?

Anyway it can be a nice adventure if they have few days to come from A to B with intermediate stops and food and wine etc. even with all that train/bus changes.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
There is a direct morning train from Irun to Santiago that stops in Monforte de Lemos. From there you have several options to get to Sarria:

Gettign to Irun from Biarritz is a simple matter of commuter transport to Hendaye and walking across a bridge into Irun.

It is a wonderful journey on the train from Irun - long, yes, but very scenic.

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2012 - 2016
Voie de Paris / Tours Aulnay to Saintes 2017
Camino del Baztan 2018
We did that journey to pick up our Camino walk again in Sarria. But we caught the train from Bordeaux to Hendaye. Stopped overnight in Irun and caught the train (as mentioned) next day to arrive in Sarria that evening.

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2012 - 2016
Voie de Paris / Tours Aulnay to Saintes 2017
Camino del Baztan 2018
Remember if the relatives are over 60 they can buy a senior rail card 6€ when they arrive at Leon and benefit from much reduced train fares in Spain. Details elsewhere on this forum.

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
If you want them to take an inland route, search Rome2Rio Biarritz to Pamplona, then Pamplona to Sarria.

EveWood1994

Camino(s) past & future
None
Thank you for all your help! The rome to rio options are coming in at about 170 plus. I could probably find cheap ryanair flights plus train for around that price. I found one other cheap option- a night bus from biarritz to Zamora with flixbus. This only costs 15 per person and is about 8hrs long. The only thing is the waiting period for train to get from Zamora to Sarria. The flixbus arrives in to zamora at 4am and the train to sarria leaves at 14:38. Does anyone know any alternative options to get from zamora to sarria? Is Zamorra part of the Portugese route, might there be buses for pilgrims passing along the way to get to Sarria? Thanks in advance!

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
There's plenty to do and see in Zamora ;)

BTW Zamora is on Via de la Plata but is also the starting point of VdlP Portugues.

Advertisement

Booking.com