• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way to get from Biarritz to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port?

janlinhart

Time of past OR future Camino
Hey everyone, I am planning to fly to Biarritz on 31.3.2024, arriving at 18:25 and I am trying to figure out how to get to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port after arrival. I have heard that there is a bus from Biarritz airport to Bayonne and then there is a train to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. But looking at the timetable I have found, there is only one bus a day going to bayonne, but not sure if thats the correct timetable, does anyone know the number of the bus going from the airport?

I know that there is also this taxi coming directly from Biarritz but since I will be traveling solo, it would be quite expensive.
Thanks for any insights and buen camino :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is a fairly frequent bus service from the airport to Bayonne station. About every 20 or 30 minutes. I think it is number 4. Though that may be a moot point if you are arriving on 31 March - you are aware that is Easter Sunday and a public holiday and so bus services are likely to be very limited or non-existent? In your position I would think of booking the Express Bourricot airport shuttle. The price varies with the number booked for a particular journey but in Easter week you can expect a lot of company.

PS: The last train from Bayonne to SJPDP on 31 March leaves at 19:30. Your plane arrives at 18:25? Cutting it a bit fine to get through the airport and reach Bayonne station on time.

Last edited:
Unless you have timetable restrictions and are booked to stay in SJPdP that night, I wouldn’t rush. Biarritz is a fabulous town and well worthwhile spending an evening and overnight there. Given the arrival time of your flight being so late (could be delayed too!), I wouldn’t ‘sweat’ the onward journey…..relax and enjoy yourself. The following morning you can get a local bus from the town to Biarritz railway station (easy), there pick up a fast train (regular and no stop, duration about 12 mins) to Bayonne. You can then get the wonderful 2 carriage small train from Bayonne (just a platform change) direct to SJPdP and as it will be light, sit next to the window and watch the magnificent countryside and river valley pass by. You will arrive in town rested and invigorated and ready for your challenge up and over the Pyrenees……why rush ! Soak up the atmosphere in SJPdP for the rest of the day, visit the pilgrim office, stay over and start your pilgrimage the following morning.
In the last year or two they have been working on the train line from Bayonne and sometimes the small train was suspended……if that is still the case, they provide a large modern bus from just outside Bayonne station to take you to St Jean so just book your train ticket even if you can’t see any trains on the timetable.
Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is a fairly frequent bus service from the airport to Bayonne station. About every 20 or 30 minutes. I think it is number 4. Though that may be a moot point if you are arriving on 31 March - you are aware that is Easter Sunday and a public holiday and so bus services are likely to be very limited or non-existent? In your position I would think of booking the Express Bourricot airport shuttle. The price varies with the number booked for a particular journey but in Easter week you can expect a lot of company.

PS: The last train from Bayonne to SJPDP on 31 March leaves at 19:30. Your plane arrives at 18:25? Cutting it a bit fine to get through the airport and reach Bayonne station on time.
Thanks for the info. I checked the Express Bourricot airport shuttle now and as I understand it, there is a good chance to take taxi with another group

In your position I would think of booking the Express Bourricot airport shuttle
Hi ! I was booked with them last May then my flight changed to a 18.45 arrival time; i informed them of this and was told their last pick up was 18.00!
janlinhart i would double check that this is still current info!

Last edited:
Hi ! I was booked with them last May then my flight changed to a 18.45 arrival time; i informed them of this and was told their last pick up was 18.00!
janlinhart i would double check that this is still current info!
Ok I will ask them, thanks for the info

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The “Best” way? Walk!
The easiest way? Express Bouricot

But definitely pay attention to the previous post about it being Easter, because it’s truly a holiday in France and Spain, usually including Monday, too. Just FYI because you don’t want to be winging it on those days

Though that may be a moot point if you are arriving on 31 March - you are aware that is Easter Sunday and a public holiday and so bus services are likely to be very limited or non-existent?
Ah -- good point. I had been about to suggest the little local bus lines (change at Saint-Palais), but those are unlikely to be working either.

But definitely pay attention to the previous post about it being Easter, because it’s truly a holiday in France and Spain, usually including Monday, too.
Easter Monday is not a holiday in France. Lundi de Pentecôte is a kind of semi-holiday, but on Easter Monday things thatr are closed are basically just those that are ordinarily closed on Mondays anyway.

Ah -- good point. I had been about to suggest the little local bus lines (change at Saint-Palais), but those are unlikely to be working either.

Easter Monday is not a holiday in France. Lundi de Pentecôte is a kind of semi-holiday, but on Easter Monday things thatr are closed are basically just those that are ordinarily closed on Mondays anyway.

Sure, there’s “Official” and then there’s unofficially no one is going to be around and transportation options will be packed”. While it’s not officially a holiday in France, Mondays are generally a closure day for many businesses and it’s a huge travel day, so they should be aware of that. Given that they planned to start walking that weekend, they need to be aware that Spain will be similarly impacted.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

No, Easter Monday is a public holiday in France.

No, Easter Monday is a public holiday in France.
Wish I knew do that sooner but since I have my flight ticket for that day already, I will have to figure out a way to get to sjpp anyway. If the taxi on sunday doesnt work and I wont make it to the train in time, I will have to sleep over in biarritz/boyanne and on Monday, the train to sjpp will work hopefuly.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Unless you have timetable restrictions and are booked to stay in SJPdP that night, I wouldn’t rush. Biarritz is a fabulous town and well worthwhile spending an evening and overnight there. Given the arrival time of your flight being so late (could be delayed too!), I wouldn’t ‘sweat’ the onward journey…..relax and enjoy yourself. The following morning you can get a local bus from the town to Biarritz railway station (easy), there pick up a fast train (regular and no stop, duration about 12 mins) to Bayonne. You can then get the wonderful 2 carriage small train from Bayonne (just a platform change) direct to SJPdP and as it will be light, sit next to the window and watch the magnificent countryside and river valley pass by. You will arrive in town rested and invigorated and ready for your challenge up and over the Pyrenees……why rush ! Soak up the atmosphere in SJPdP for the rest of the day, visit the pilgrim office, stay over and start your pilgrimage the following morning.
In the last year or two they have been working on the train line from Bayonne and sometimes the small train was suspended……if that is still the case, they provide a large modern bus from just outside Bayonne station to take you to St Jean so just book your train ticket even if you can’t see any trains on the timetable.
Buen Camino!
Hello Martin, you see very knowledgeable about this so I’m horning in with a question, forgive me in advance. Doing the Norte but starting in Biarritz in August and wondering, after reading your post…if we make our way from Pamplona and head to SJPDP, could we then catch a train to Bayonne then cab it to Biarritz? Scratching my head on getting ourselves to the start the simplest way. Thanks, Martin

Hello Martin, you see very knowledgeable about this so I’m horning in with a question, forgive me in advance. Doing the Norte but starting in Biarritz in August and wondering, after reading your post…if we make our way from Pamplona and head to SJPDP, could we then catch a train to Bayonne then cab it to Biarritz? Scratching my head on getting ourselves to the start the simplest way. Thanks, Martin
Where are you flying to? I took a bus to Bayonne last year from Pamplona. (I walked the Francés with a small group of newbies up to Pamplona, then took a bus to Bayonne to start the Norte) Actually two buses because there was a change in San Sebastián.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Doing the Norte but starting in Biarritz in August and wondering, after reading your post…if we make our way from Pamplona and head to SJPDP, could we then catch a train to Bayonne then cab it to Biarritz? Scratching my head on getting ourselves to the start the simplest way.
I'm not Martin, but that sounds complicated ...

Best option looks like an Alsa bus to San Sebastián, then a train from there to Irún/Hendaye, then train to Biarritz.

The Alsa bus was quick and easy. I spent the night near the Cathedral in Bayonne, then walked to the train station for a short ride to Biarritz, and started walking.

Screenshot_20240114_170909_Rome2Rio.jpg

Wish I knew do that sooner but since I have my flight ticket for that day already, I will have to figure out a way to get to sjpp anyway. If the taxi on sunday doesnt work and I wont make it to the train in time, I will have to sleep over in biarritz/boyanne and on Monday, the train to sjpp will work hopefuly.
My first (Camino) trip into Biarritz, the flight had to circle the airport a few times before landing. I was nervous about catching the train in Bayonne. Because I only had my carryon backpack I was able to get outside quickly where I found a line of taxi’s waiting. I hopped in one (fairly cheap fare) got me to Bayonne in no time. We arrived in SJPdP around 20:00 hrs. There is hope. 😁 As others have mentioned, your flight is coming in later so double check the last train out. I like the train for the scenery and to feel the buzz from all the other anxious, eager pilgrims. 😎👣 Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Express Bourricot finish at 18:00 so you could book a private transfer with Biarritz Airport Transfers. If your flight lands on time you can be leaving the airport within 15 minutes (don't know if you are flying national or international). Then the journey is 55 minutes to 1 hour.

Where are you flying to? I took a bus to Bayonne last year from Pamplona. (I walked the Francés with a small group of newbies up to Pamplona, then took a bus to Bayonne to start the Norte) Actually two buses because there was a change in San Sebastián.
Flying into Madrid. Thanks and apologies to the original poster for butting in. Buen Camino to you❤️

Hey everyone, I am planning to fly to Biarritz on 31.3.2024, arriving at 18:25 and I am trying to figure out how to get to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port after arrival. I have heard that there is a bus from Biarritz airport to Bayonne and then there is a train to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. But looking at the timetable I have found, there is only one bus a day going to bayonne, but not sure if thats the correct timetable, does anyone know the number of the bus going from the airport?

I know that there is also this taxi coming directly from Biarritz but since I will be traveling solo, it would be quite expensive.
Thanks for any insights and buen camino :)
I took the Express Bourricot option, shared with 5-6 others, made it very reasonable. My flight was delayed by 60’ and the EB team waited for us.
We were all starting the next day and met one or two from the taxi on the walk from SJPP and again at Refuge Orrison.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Also not Martin, but….

Easiest to bus from Pamplona to Bayonne if you do not have a need or desire to see SJPdP.

Also, you can start walking from Bayonne rather than taking a cab from there to Biarritz. It’s only a few extra hours and the Cathedral is a good place to start.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back