• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biarritz or Bayonne?

JimboS

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (September 2018)
My wife and I will be doing the Camino Frances this coming December.
We are flying into Paris (CDG). From Charles De Gaul airport, what is the preferable next city to get to on way to St. Jean; Biarritz or Bayonne? Any benefit flying or taking a train from CDG airport?
Thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome to the forum Jimbo.

Where are you coming from? I ask, because if you are coming from NA (or Oz), I suggest spending a day or two in Paris A) Because its really nice and, B) you will have a day to recover from jetlag. If you have the time, spend a couple days in Paris, and take the train to Bayonne from Montparnasse station when ready. You connect to a local train in Bayonne to SJPP. If you are in a hurry, you can take the train to Bayonne or fly to Biarritz from CDG as soon as you arrive. Either one will work fine, depending upon when you get in and what connections are available. Not too many flights from CDG to BIQ, most are out of Orly, Paris' other airport. From Biarritz, you can book a shared ride at expressbourricot.com or take the city bus to Bayonne station and take the train. Me, I like the train, but others get a great deal on the flight, and use that.

Buen Camino!

We are flying into Paris (CDG). From Charles De Gaul airport, what is the preferable next city to get to on way to St. Jean; Biarritz or Bayonne? Any benefit flying or taking a train from CDG airport?
Thanks.

Flying takes about 45 minutes, if you want to get there quicker. The shuttle or taxi takes another 45 or 50 minutes from Biarritz to SJPdP.

Where are you coming from? I ask, because if you are coming from NA (or Oz), I suggest spending a day or two in Paris A) Because its really nice and, B) you will have a day to recover from jetlag. If you have the time, spend a couple days in Paris, and take the train to Bayonne from Montparnasse station when ready. You connect to a local train in Bayonne to SJPP. If you are in a hurry, you can take the train to Bayonne or fly to Biarritz from CDG as soon as you arrive. Either one will work fine, depending upon when you get in and what connections are available. Not too many flights from CDG to BIQ, most are out of Orly, Paris' other airport. From Biarritz, you can book a shared ride at expressbourricot.com or take the city bus to Bayonne station and take the train. Me, I like the train, but others get a great deal on the flight, and use that.

Buen Camino!
I heard there might be a train that takes you all the way down to St Jean from The Paris Montparnasse. Do you think that is still an option? I am trying to book that train on the www.trainline.eu site for May 26 but it says I am too early

Last year we took the train from Montparnasse to Bayonne and it was not a pleasant experience. Due to the time of arrival for the flight and the departure time for the train we literally had to run from the bus stop to board the train.

From what I have read planning for my trip in late March, construction has made the bus transit time from CDG to Montparnasse even longer and for us isn't possible with the timetables without a stay overnight in Paris.

This year we are flying to Biarritz and then a shuttle to St Jean. The flight on EasyJet is half the price of the train and takes about an hour.

Check your scheduling very carefully and remember that passport control can now take up to 4 hours to get through. Yeah, I know for a fact it can, just went through it recently.

M

I heard there might be a train that takes you all the way down to St Jean from The Paris Montparnasse. Do you think that is still an option? I am trying to book that train on the www.trainline.eu site for May 26 but it says I am too early

The French train system. Breathe in.......Breathe Out.......picture yourself on a fast, comfortable mode of downtown to downtown travel......Breathe In.......Breathe Out.......

SNCF releases tickets on the trains in a semi random fashion. They say its 3 months in advance, but that's just a guideline. It could be much less than that, especially when there are maintenance or routing changes in the works. They WILL release the tickets, and there WILL be a train to your destination. Relax. The trip from Paris to Bayonne is on a TGV. That's the one that gets you from a "hub" to anther "hub" very fast. These trains are like catching a flight. You buy tickets in advance, the prices fluctuate, and you get a reserved seat. The trip from Bayonne to SJPP is like catching a city bus. You wait at the stop, and get on the train when it comes. You can buy your ticket for the whole trip, but the part that's holding you up is the ticket release of one leg or another. Breathe In......Breathe Out....... The trains rarely sell out or fill up, one of the best parts about train as a transit method. Busy route? Add a car or two. Problem solved. Only on a holiday weekend or some other special event will getting a ticket on the train you want be a problem.

Be patient with trainline.eu. When the tickets are released, you can buy them. Just for comfort, there is a pretty good chance that if you walked into the train station an hour before departure, you could likely get a seat on the next train, you'd just pay a little bit more.
Buen Camino!

I would say just fly to Biarritz if you can (it is probably less expensive as well), and get to the Bayonne train station, from there take the train down to Saint Jean.

Walked CF Sept/Oct 2017 - flew into Paris from Australia and stayed a few days in Paris for a look around. Arrived in CDG and was out in minutes (passport/immigration control very efficient) and caught a train to Montparnasse (big thank you to the rail officials stationed at the exit to the airport for advice on which trains/stations) where I had booked an AirBnB room, literally across the road from the Montparnasse station. Took the VFT to Bayonne and changed to the smaller train to SJPP. Booked online through the local mirror site of Rail Europe and the Paris to Bayonne ticket was emailed to me same day and the Bayonne to SJP ticket was printed in Australia and sent to me by priority post within the week. Stayed in SJPP for two nights - Monday was market day so stayed for a look at that and enjoyed it immensely, as well as taking a little time to collect the wits before hitting the pack and heading for Orisson...

If I were to do CF all again in 2018 (which I just might) I would probably do it exactly the same... Worked for me...

Buen Camino!
Thanks for the info. We are flying in from US. I think we will stay in Paris a couple days after the hike.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Flying takes about 45 minutes, if you want to get there quicker. The shuttle or taxi takes another 45 or 50 minutes from Biarritz to SJPdP.

Thank you. Looks like a quick flight is a great choice.

Last year we took the train from Montparnasse to Bayonne and it was not a pleasant experience. Due to the time of arrival for the flight and the departure time for the train we literally had to run from the bus stop to board the train.

From what I have read planning for my trip in late March, construction has made the bus transit time from CDG to Montparnasse even longer and for us isn't possible with the timetables without a stay overnight in Paris.

This year we are flying to Biarritz and then a shuttle to St Jean. The flight on EasyJet is half the price of the train and takes about an hour.

Check your scheduling very carefully and remember that passport control can now take up to 4 hours to get through. Yeah, I know for a fact it can, just went through it recently.

M

Thank you. Your note on getting through passport control just solidified flying to BIQ the next morning.

Walked CF Sept/Oct 2017 - flew into Paris from Australia and stayed a few days in Paris for a look around. Arrived in CDG and was out in minutes (passport/immigration control very efficient) and caught a train to Montparnasse (big thank you to the rail officials stationed at the exit to the airport for advice on which trains/stations) where I had booked an AirBnB room, literally across the road from the Montparnasse station. Took the VFT to Bayonne and changed to the smaller train to SJPP. Booked online through the local mirror site of Rail Europe and the Paris to Bayonne ticket was emailed to me same day and the Bayonne to SJP ticket was printed in Australia and sent to me by priority post within the week. Stayed in SJPP for two nights - Monday was market day so stayed for a look at that and enjoyed it immensely, as well as taking a little time to collect the wits before hitting the pack and heading for Orisson...

If I were to do CF all again in 2018 (which I just might) I would probably do it exactly the same... Worked for me...

Thank you. Great info. Looks like the rail choice worked out perfect for you. I will keep it in mind for options.

Just seen that you're planning to leave from St Jean Pied de Port in December. I'd be very sure to check that the routes are open before setting off. The French authorities have a tendency to close these routes owing to the number of people who use them without adequate equipment and subsequently need rescuing. It should be alright if you're travelling early in December though.

As Rick M says, trains from Paris Montparnasse go through to Bordeaux/Dax/Bayonne and on to Irun, if you want to consider an alternative route into Spain depending on weather.

Bon chemin.

I would say just fly to Biarritz if you can (it is probably less expensive as well), and get to the Bayonne train station, from there take the train down to Saint Jean.
Actually, the train travels “UP”to SJP.P. About 1000 feet. You will discover that one learns to appreciate the fine points of geography while walking the Camino.

Actually, the train travels “UP”to SJP.P. About 1000 feet. You will discover that one learns to appreciate the fine points of geography while walking the Camino.
I've walked it seven times already....:cool:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks.
I took the train directly (In September) from CDG to Bayonne. High speed train. Loved it. Booked a small hotel right by the train station and took the commuter train into St Jean the next morning early. It all worked super. I personally prefer the train within Europe especially after a long overseas flight. If you have jet lag to cope with why not get to St Jean and have a couple of days there to get back on your feet. It is wonderful. Great food and just beautiful. And you get to stare at the Pyranees above the town waiting for your crossing!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back