• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

BiarritzDon in the Hurricane

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Time of past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
Some of you may know, our friend Don lives in Naples, Fla., right in the target zone for Hurricane Irma.
He's spent the last couple of days working dawn to dusk, setting up safe shelters in northwestern Florida with the American Red Cross Disaster Relief team. (He's been a volunteer with them for several years... if you wanna talk disaster, just talk with Don.)
He's been ordered to evacuate his home. He is safe, staying at one of the shelters. But time will tell if he has a house at the end of all this.

I didn't tell him I was posting this here, but I ask you all to say a prayer for his safety, his home, and the thousands of other people facing down this awesome storm.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Don's been a huge help to many every spring with his mountain weather reports from the Pyrenees. And now he's 'on' in Florida. May he be safe!
And there are lots of pilgrims from Florida - and millions of everyday folks like you and me now facing the unknown.
We're praying for y'all.
(And if you haven't and still can, and are in a danger zone, please - get out of the way.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for this conversation. I have followed IRMA for over a week and I am really impressed with the pro-active approach by part of Governor Scott and all the volunteers on the ground making a difference. We saw Americans helping Americans in Texas during HARVEY, now we see Americans helping Americans in Florida during IRMA. For our friends overseas, THIS IS what real America looks like. Good luck to all our families and friends in Florida. Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Thank you and FYI, Tom Andreotta is in Palm Beach planning on sitting out the storm at home.
I hit 'like,' because I appreciate the information about you all...not because I like the fact that you are all facing what's coming. May you be safe!
Edit: And I just read this story. Wonderful!! There are camino angels everywhere.

Last edited:
We here on the west coast of the USA are on pins and needles for all friends and family on the east coast, in Florida and nearby states. Friends are still in touch with us, but this is frightening, and we certainly are worried for all of you dealing with this.

@biarritzdon , you are family to us on the forum. I will certainly say a prayer for the safety and security of those you love, and for the safety of your home and for all Floridians.

Deb

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I ask you all to say a prayer for his safety, his home, and the thousands of other people facing down this awesome storm.
Biarritzdon and everyone who has been and will be in the path of Irma you are all in my prayers - keep safe.

Don
Harvey passed up my neighborhood by 40 miles north..you inow what that entails by way of severity
Hoping You and yours get the same treatment as its made all the difference here in Corpus Christi..
Thinking of you guys and praying for a swift passage

Thinking all of you in Florid tonight, with prayers for your safety and well-being. There's a horrible monster at your door!

Central America is way far away - they should be fine. In fact the real-time map of weather conditions I have shows they're likely too be having a nice night.
The previous one past over Costa Rica, hence my concern.:) Feeling for all caught in that and also this latest hurricane.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Contacted Don yesterday and was glad to hear via a PM that he is safe in a Red Cross shelter in Immokalee, helping as he does.
My dad is also in Naples but luckily not directly on the coast as Don's place. They are tucked inside at a friend's house who has beter hurricane shutters and say that electricity is flickering on and off at this point.

Everyone keep safe.

My home is your home to any of our fellow forum members needing to escape and needing a roof over their head. I can offer up a place at NC beach, small but no one there at moment ...or even an RV to take somewhere till you can get back home (good size as we are a family of 8).
We are in NC.
Hugs to all and stay safe!!!!
N

Praying for everyone affected by this monstrous storm, especially Don, Tom, and your father in Naples, LTfit. The pictures coming out of Florida are frightening. May all be safe. Many thanks to all for the updates.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My beloved st john virgin island is a disaster area due to this storm. Pray.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
Does anyone have a favorite place to stay in arzua? Thanks for any suggestions!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back