• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lodging in the Meseta

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, September 2023
Hello
I finally made it Burgos!
I am walking at a pace which takes me approximately 20 to 25 km per day. Not sure if it is easier to do more in the Meseta but Im an old guy whose comfort level is about 25 km on a good day.
Ive been trying to not book too far ahead but not sure how available lodging is in the small towns of the Meseta.
Im booked in at Albergue San Bol. Wise Pilgrim does not show a great availability in the towns that are 20 to 25 kms farther down the Camino.
This is my first Camino and I think I'm doing well, with much planning and experience from the kind people on this forum.
Should I be concerned, use other resources than Wise Pilgrim?
Your advice and encouragement greatly appreciated
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Spoiler alert : you have been walking through the meseta for several days, pretty much since getting up onto it between Nájera and Azofra. (hilly intervals aside)

Good news is, you already know the answer to your question. Otherwise, don't worry, and just turn up. It's really only problematic in winter ...

It comes to an end some hundreds of metres before Astorga.

25K/day is pretty much typical, so you're doing well !!

¡¡ Buen Camino !!

jfgough,

Lucky you to be in Burgos now!

Years past when walking and exhausted for courage I would remember one of the timeless adages associated with the Camino, "if a pilgrim makes it to the city of Burgos, he can make it to Santiago!"
Thus now you are truly on your way.

Carpe diem and Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Never did I not get a bed in the meseta. Many pilgrims skip it because they think or heard it's "boring". So, less competition for beds!

Albergues were often half empty when I walked. Even when I checked in late. A friend of mine once got a bed as a walk in at almost 10 pm after a 60km day, no problem.

Some places might fill up at some point, but then there's usually a bed not far away, in the albergue next door or in the next village...

From San Bol you could walk a very short day to San Anton (non bookable parroquial) or Castrojeriz (many albergues), a medium long day to San Nicolas (non bookable parroquial), Itero de la vega (several albergues) or slightly off route to Itero del Castillo (municipal). Or a long day to Boadilla (very nice private albergue "en El Camino").

The only Challenge of the day is the amazing hill after Castrojeriz. If you stay in Castrojeriz or San Anton, you can see a lovely sunrise from up on the hill If you start early. One of my all time favourite parts of the Francés.

Whatever you decide,
Buen Camino!

Everyone has different comfort levels, pilgrim. Do what frees your mind. I am also in Burgos tonight, and the small albergue that doesn’t take reservations is only half full. I’ve not booked a single stay and have so far had a bed every night. I am more comfortable walking until I decide I’m done than I would be by committing to a destination. But that’s just me— so you book however you need to to be comfortable. Buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Buen Camino
I'm currently in El Burgo Ranero and enjoying lovely walking conditions. I'd say be aware that Mansilla de las Mulas is a pinch point with no municipal albergue. You might want to plan to stay in a different place or book a few days ahead.

Buen Camino
I'd say be aware that Mansilla de las Mulas is a pinch point with no municipal albergue.
The Municipal and the larger private one are undergoing simultaneous renovation/reconstruction projects.

Which is very annoying !!

----

Oh well, head south from the Albergue to the petrol station, there's a nice bar, plus some essentials to get at the li'l shop.

Good place for a coffee & etc. in the morning !!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I really liked Boadilla, and for the best pancakes, plus a great communal dinner and breakfast, try Juntos.
Rosalia in Castrojeriz makes a wonderful communal dinner and breakfast. Staying in San Nikolas is very special. Have stayed in Villacazar de Sirga and Casadilla de la Cueza in nice, but basic albergues. Mansilla de last Mulas has a great albergue with the friendliest hosts, Albergue Gaia.

Hello
I am walking at a pace which takes me approximately 20 to 25 km per day. Not sure if it is easier to do more in the Meseta but Im an old guy whose comfort level is about 25 km on a good day.
Ive been trying to not book too far ahead but not sure how available lodging is in the small towns of the Meseta.
Im booked in at Albergue San Bol. Wise Pilgrim does not show a great availability in the towns that are 20 to 25 kms farther down the Camino.
This is my first Camino and I think I'm doing well, with much planning and experience from the kind people on this forum.
Buen Camino
@jfgough,
you are doing well Amigo ,
keep it up..
slow and steady and being positive.

Buen Camino.
One of the best places I stayed on the whole Camino. The hosts here are the BEST! Would definitely want to stay here again.
Hello
Buen Camino
@jfgough,
You are doing well Amigo ,
Keep it up 👍,
Slow and steady and being positive .

Buen Camino 🇨🇦

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I really liked Boadilla, and for the best pancakes, plus a great communal dinner and breakfast, try Juntos.
Rosalia in Castrojeriz makes a wonderful communal dinner and breakfast. Staying in San Nikolas is very special. Have stayed in Villacazar de Sirga and Casadilla de la Cueza in nice, but basic albergues. Mansilla de last Mulas has a great albergue with the friendliest hosts, Albergue Gaia.
I walked from on May 20th 2022 from Bercianos del Real Camino to Mansilla de las Mulas and stayed at Albergue Gaia too.
Oh man ! Was it ever hot ( heat wave ) 36c in the afternoon and the Albergue Gaia was overfill with pilgrims from Tenerife and room full of 12 people , it was so hard to sleep , yes the albergue people were nice , still it was day and night in the inferno .
Cheers and Buen Camino to all, 🇨🇦.

Never did I not get a bed in the meseta. Many pilgrims skip it because they think or heard it's "boring". So, less competition for beds!

Albergues were often half empty when I walked. Even when I checked in late. A friend of mine once got a bed as a walk in at almost 10 pm after a 60km day, no problem.

Some places might fill up at some point, but then there's usually a bed not far away, in the albergue next door or in the next village...

From San Bol you could walk a very short day to San Anton (non bookable parroquial) or Castrojeriz (many albergues), a medium long day to San Nicolas (non bookable parroquial), Itero de la vega (several albergues) or slightly off route to Itero del Castillo (municipal). Or a long day to Boadilla (very nice private albergue "en El Camino").

The only Challenge of the day is the amazing hill after Castrojeriz. If you stay in Castrojeriz or San Anton, you can see a lovely sunrise from up on the hill If you start early. One of my all time favourite parts of the Francés.

Whatever you decide,
Buen Camino!
IMHO the Meseta is the pearl of the CF, but do not tell it to anyone: Let's keep it to ourselves...

Hello
Buen Camino
I wouldn't worry too much. I always liked to use several sources, though, rather than relying on just one. Gronze.com is a very reputable source of information. It is in Spanish only, but Chrome will translate it to English.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello
Buen Camino
You will LOVE San Bol. Enjoy the best part of the Camino. And enjoy the walk from San Bol to Castrojeriz!
Get ready to be filled with joy.

I walked the Meseta section a few weeks ago. Can't comment on municipals, but found every private albergue I stayed at was anywhere from 10-50% full. It was dead out there the last week of August, when in a full day of walking I typically saw anywhere from 4-10 pilgrims .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back