• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Big Changes:Rabanal Benedictines

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Time of past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
As of October 1, a number of new faces appeared at the monastery of St. Irago in Rabanal del Camino. The men who´ve staffed the little church, monastery, and retreat house have been re-assigned to new jobs in monasteries all over the world.

The announcement gives few details. Draw your own conclusions, if you like. Here´s the text of the original announcement:

A partir del día 1 de octubre de 2010, se ha producido un relevo en la comunidad de monjes de San Salvador del Monte Irago. Pueden encontrar información en nuestra WEB

El nuevo Superior de la Comunidad es el P. Javier Aparicio.

El P. Juan Antonio Torres utiliza, desde este momento, la siguiente dirección de correo electrónico: jatosb@gmail.com. Ha quedado destinado a la Archiabadía de Santa Otilia.

El P. José Carlos Sánchez, por su parte, utiliza la siguiente dirección de correo electrónico: abrahamosb@gmail.com. Ha quedado destinado al Monasterio de la Epifanía en La Habana, Cuba.

Un saludo muy cordial, tanto de los monjes que se marchan, como de la nueva comunidad que se hace cargo de San Salvador del Monte Irago.
--
Monasterio Benedictino de San Salvador del Monte Irago
24722 Rabanal del Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for posting this Rebekah. I have been following this story. I feel for the villagers who see money earmarked their community go to assisting "outsiders" ...monks and pilgrims...but having stayed at Rabanel twice, I have seen how the economic benifits of pilgrim traffic have helped the community...it is a delicate balance...prehaps the monks replaced were not sensitive enough to the community.

One place to access the letter published by Padre Juan Antonio and to find an English translation is on the News page of the American Pilgrims' website:

http://www.americanpilgrims.com/camino/news.html

This is indeed monumental from the standpoint of the peregrinos. Juan Antonio and José Carlos were almost of institutional status. But maybe it's not a good this to attain that status. As Rebekah said, how much of this is a routine reassignment and how much the result of the disturbances in the village will probably never be known to us outsiders.

But they will be missed. Buen Camino, Juan Antonio y José Carlos.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just returned home last week from walking the Camino Frances from SJPP. I purposely cut my day short towards the end of September to stay in Rabanal and hear the monk's vespers in the small church there. I was disappointed they were gone, but I have only fond memories of the cofraternity albergue there and of the small mass in the church. The hospitaleros (a couple from Costa Rica) there were SO nice and personable!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
During my stay in Rabanal del Camino from Sept. 14 to Oct. 2 I have been able to converse (in Spanish) with many locals and not so locals, including padre Jose Antonio, concerning the unhappy relationship between monks and locals. My conclusion is that the main cause seems to have been a breakdown in "public relations" between Church and (most) Rabanal residents. The "mission" from the Church towards pilgrims, approving monks to establish a retreat center, assign to them parish duties, the local church renovation and allow publication of activities in international (mostly German) Camino guides, etc., was critically short of vision and common sense in the "mission" from the Church towards the local population, including economic operators (hotels, restaurants, albergues, shop, taxi, etc.).
Last year's "attack" by the locals towards the monks would thus appear to have been misdirected.
At the change in command at the monks' Rabanal monastry as from 1st October, a message seems to be divulged by the Church's powers in Astorga that "public relations" with the locals is key to mutual understanding and peace.
After all, the little Rabanal del Camino church in front of the Monastry and Refugio Guacelmo has always been local "property".
Communication, communication, communication.

I was just wondering how to make a diplomatic contribution regarding the situation of the Benedictine monks in Rabanal, when StorkRN's message came in. Thank you very much for your compliment, because Adriaan and I were the Hospitaleros at Guacelmo when you stayed - and were present when the imminent departure of the two monks was announced by Padre Juan Antonio himself at mass one day towards the end of September. When we arrived at Guacelmo on 14th September to take over our duties there, we were informed that the monks had disappeared several days earlier without informing anyone of their whereabouts, or for how long they would be absent. Due to the fact that the Refugio Guacelmo is right next door to the Monastery and immediately accross from the church, we were constantly consulted by pilgrims, tourists and the villagers themselves, as to what time vespers or mass would be held and when would the church be open. (The monks had the key). We had no idea and unfortunately there was no information posted neither on the church door, neither on the door to the monastery. The resident villagers remain divided (we spoke to and heard opinions of many). The Pilgrims pass through this lovely village and I do believe that the, up to a short time ago evening vespers service, was one of the most positive highlights of their journey towards Santiago. My own opinion is that the monks had a problem to look after the interests of the parishioners of Rabanal, who after all are the ones who live there all year round, together with the great service they did to the passing pilgrims, especially the German speaking ones. Anne

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Anna, sorry I missed you, just...........

I had problems with my feet, with my asthma and with bed bug bites: nothing unexpected then!

But I stayed in Rabanal with Dick and his lovely wife and I shall always remember them with affection.

Shame about the monks as I wouldn't have minded a mini retreat with them but there was so much to see and do on the Camino that my 6 plus weeks flew by and now I have been home more than a week.

Still feel a bit "spaced out" and not quite sure which is the REAL world, the Camino World or the one where I find myself!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back