• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do many pilgrims start Sept 1 in the big cities on the CF?

FourSeasons

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016, 2019, 2024
Hi all, I'm dreaming of a 2024 (4th) pilgrimage on the CF starting in SJPdP on August 18th, approximately. I know it will be hot, I walked July/August 2019. I'm in the need of not having to pack extra layers because I'll be packing a laptop.

If I start mid August this should get me ahead of the major crowd starting in SJPdP early September however, will I be clear of it as I march on through Burgos, Leon mid September? I know Sarria is a different animal altogether in which I may skip this time. No need for another Compostela, more need for peace of mind. :) Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
People start from every large city along the route and September is a busy time throughout the Camino Frances. No one can predict the future, but expect increasing crowds everywhere as the month moves on.

I just walked Burgos to Santiago starting August 25. So I was ahead of the September wave. Relative to my late May walk SJPdP to SdC in 2018, it was dead out there. Often saw only 4-8 pilgrims during my day's walk. Albergues with capacity of 36 or 50 beds had only 5 or 6 people. It picked up with a new wave starting from Leon beginning of September. But I only booked if wanting a hotel in city on a weekend, and had no problem. Even in Sarria albergues friends and I stayed in were 25% full. So starting point and dates make all the difference!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
My husband walked from Burgos in 2021 to his assignment on the meseta. Not as many places open and covid restrictions on bed numbers. The only time he had a bit of trouble finding a bed was in Foncebaden on Oct 12 during the holiday.

I can't predict what it will be like in in September. I can tell you what it was like in September 2021. If course covid restrictions on albergues capacity did limit beds. I walked the 1st 2 weeks, then volunteered for 2 weeks, and started walking again earl October. No problem finding a bed except for a 3 day national holiday October 12th in Foncebadon. I went to every hotel, the albergue in town (I started at the entrance to town and worked my way up, saw tour buses but no beds). I finally stopped at the donativo and waited in line for them to open. I did get a bed.

While I was volunteering I was only full 1 or maybe 2 times. Will it be that way for you? I don't know.

Buen Camino!

Phil

Hi all, I'm dreaming of a 2024 (4th) pilgrimage on the CF starting in SJPdP on August 18th, approximately. I know it will be hot, I walked July/August 2019. I'm in the need of not having to pack extra layers because I'll be packing a laptop.

If I start mid August this should get me ahead of the major crowd starting in SJPdP early September however, will I be clear of it as I march on through Burgos, Leon mid September? I know Sarria is a different animal altogether in which I may skip this time. No need for another Compostela, more need for peace of mind. :) Thanks!
To avoid the crowds of the last 100 kilometres from Sarria, why not take the "Camino del Invierno" from Ponferrada. It's a very beautiful and little-travelled route.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Q : Do many pilgrims start Sept. 1st in the big cities on the Camino Francès ?

A : Yes.

I just walked Burgos to Santiago starting August 25. So I was ahead of the September wave. Relative to my late May walk SJPdP to SdC in 2018, it was dead out there. Often saw only 4-8 pilgrims during my day's walk. Albergues with capacity of 36 or 50 beds had only 5 or 6 people. It picked up with a new wave starting from Leon beginning of September. But I only booked if wanting a hotel in city on a weekend, and had no problem. Even in Sarria albergues friends and I stayed in were 25% full. So starting point and dates make all the difference!
I am currently planning to walk next May and am decided when in May to begin. Could you please elaborate on your experience walking the CF during the month of May. Any information would be welcomed

Could you please elaborate on your experience walking the CF during the month of May.
The considerations for May are very similar to those for September.

For both months, the critical questions are: Where are you starting and what kind of accommodation do you want?

Both May and September are very busy, especially from SJPP and Roncesvalles, so you might want to book the first several days up to and including Pamplona. By Pamplona and after, private accommodation seems to be more of a problem than albergue beds, especially in the albergues where reservations are not taken. After Pamplona, if you are flexible and willing to sleep in those albergues, you will probably find beds without too much difficulty. If you are not flexible and are unwilling to use albergues, then you probably need to reserve, but likely a few days in advance will be enough.

Here are three threads from the FAQ section that discuss these issues: strategies for walking in busy times, contrasting impressions of "crowded" times, and the pros/cons of using a travel company.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Based on my 2022 walk, the Invierno suggestion is a good one. Two other quieter routes are the Camino Madrid (walked in 2016) and the Camino Sanabres (walked in 2019). The Madrid route ends in Sahagun and we walked from there to Santiago on the CF. For the Sanabres route, we started in Salamanca and walked for a few days on the Via de La Plata before starting the Sanabres. The quieter routes take a bit more planning.

I am currently planning to walk next May and am decided when in May to begin. Could you please elaborate on your experience walking the CF during the month of May. Any information would be welcomed
I walked the CF this year (2023) starting in SJPdP on May 6 and there were more people than I would have liked. I pre-booked my first 5 nights (through Pamplona) and then would book 1-2 days in advance after that, but the farther along I got, I felt the need to book 4-6 nights in advance. I'm happy I walked this route for my first Camino, but I likely won't walk it again and will opt for Caminos less traveled instead. I did meet lots of wonderful people, however, who I am still connected to.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back