• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bikes on train to Bayonne

MywaySA

Hi all,

I have read that it is possible to take assembled bicycles on the train from Saint Jean Pied-de-Port to Bayonne. Can anybody please confirm this for me?

Also: is it possible to buy a ticket at the train station the afternoon before or must we book in advance (difficult from South Africa as all rail websites seem to be in French?)

Any info will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Marie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
MywaySA said:
Hi all,

I have read that it is possible to take assembled bicycles on the train from Saint Jean Pied-de-Port to Bayonne. Can anybody please confirm this for me?

Also: is it possible to buy a ticket at the train station the afternoon before or must we book in advance (difficult from South Africa as all rail websites seem to be in French?)

Any info will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Marie

Mairie,

The TER train line 62 connects SJPdP to Bayonne. It is indeed possible to take an assembled bike on the route SJPdP to Bayonne and vice versa. (Transport gratuit des bicyclettes dans tous les trains Ter Aquitaine dans la stricte limite des emplacements prévus à cet effet et sous
votre entière responsabilité.)
You can buy your ticket in the train station for this route. No advance booking is necessary. Will you go to Bayonne from SJPdP or from Bayonne to SJPdP ?

The basic departure schedule LEAVES Bayonne for SJPdP at the following times.
Bayonne/Baiona
07.48/lundi, NON fetes/ Monday, NOT holidays
08.19/mardi a dimanche, et fetes, Tuesday to Sunday, and holidays
11.51/lundi a samedi, NON fetes, Monday to Saturday, NOT holidays
15.05/tous les jours, et fetes, everyday and holidays
18.10/lundi a samedi, NON fetes, Monday to Saturday, NOT holidays
21.09/ vendredi, dimance et fetes, Friday, Sunday and holidays

LEAVES SJPdP for Bayonne at the following times:
St Jean Pied de Port/Donibane Garazi
06.04 lundi a vendredi, Monday to Friday, NON fetes/NOT holidays
06:36 samedi/Saturday/NON fetes/NOT holidays
09.43 tous les jours, et fetes, everyday and holidays
13.16 tous les jours, et fetes, everyday and holidays
16.32 tous les jours, et fetes, everyday and holidays
18.16 dimance et fetes, Sunday and holidays

All trains do NOT go every day.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret

Hi Margaret,

thank you for the translation and information. We need to travel from SJPdP to Bayonne either Saturday 30 June in the afternoon or Sunday 1 July in the morning.

If I look at your post there will only be trains on the Sunday afternoon, so that rules out Sunday morning? Did I read correct? We could alternatively leave SJPdP on Saturday afternoon latest 16h32.

We only arrive in SJPdP on Saturday and we thought it might be nice to overnight there and soak up the last of the pilgrim atmosphere. I looked on viaMichelin and on the secondary roads it is 55km to Bayonne which will take us about 3 hours to cycle so maybe we will do just that (after 700km, what is anther 55km between friends?)

Kind regards,
Marie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
MywaySA said:
Hi Margaret,

thank you for the translation and information. We need to travel from SJPdP to Bayonne either Saturday 30 June in the afternoon or Sunday 1 July in the morning.

If I look at your post there will only be trains on the Sunday afternoon, so that rules out Sunday morning? Did I read correct? We could alternatively leave SJPdP on Saturday afternoon latest 16h32.

We only arrive in SJPdP on Saturday and we thought it might be nice to overnight there and soak up the last of the pilgrim atmosphere. I looked on viaMichelin and on the secondary roads it is 55km to Bayonne which will take us about 3 hours to cycle so maybe we will do just that (after 700km, what is anther 55km between friends?)

Kind regards,
Marie

Marie,

No this is NOT correct. Tous les Jours means every day including Sundays. The 18,16 Sunday and holiday train is in addition to the rest. Thus there is a train from SJPdP to Bayonne on Sundays at

09.43 tous les jours, et fetes, everyday and holidays
13.16 tous les jours, et fetes, everyday and holidays
16.32 tous les jours, et fetes, everyday and holidays
18.16 dimance et fetes, Sunday and holidays

When you do arrive in SJPdP be sure to check the CURRENT situation at the station; there might be a strike which would change every thing!

Buen Camino!

Margaret

Hello Margaret,

I see now where I went wrong.... Thank you so very much for your help. Arriving in SJPdP we will go to the train station first and if any problems we'll adjust our programme so as to have enough time to cycle to Bayonne - not too far really.

I have printed your info and will keep it with my booklet.

Regards,
Marie

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back