• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blisters Cured!

newfydog

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Pamplona-Santiago, Le Puy- Santiago, Prague- LePuy, Menton- Toulouse, Menton- Rome, Canterbury- Lausanne, Chemin Stevenson, Voie de Vezelay
It seems that blisters are one of the most popular topics here, on par with bedbugs and albergue races. This may not help solve your personal blister problems, but I can tell you how one person finally did a trip without them.

My wife gets blisters just looking at hiking trails. Some people’s skin is like that. I have to really abuse my feet to get blisters, but she can hardly avoid them. She gets them under her feet, on her heels, between her toes, everywhere. All this despite the fact that she is a geologist, with a lifetime of hiking and backpacking experience.

This year we planned two big hikes: a 17 day walk in France including the Robert Louis Stevenson Trail, and a 22 day trek in the Nepal Himalaya, around the Manaslu circuit with a side trip to the Tibet border in the Tsum Valley. We did a lot of preparation, and tried a lot of the ideas found on this great forum. Here’s what worked:

Hiker Goo:
http://www.amazon.com/HikeGoo-Blister-Prevention-Specifically-Formulated/dp/B008RRXC9O
This glop can be smeared all over the feet, and cuts friction. It is not a gross in the socks as one might expect, and a tube goes a long way. This stuff helped prevent the heel and side-of big toe blisters.

Microplane Colossal Pedicure Rasp: As callouses build up on your feet, the thick, stiff skin can be a problem of its own. This device will shave them down very nicely. It prevented the big under-callous blisters.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008A1TI4K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keen Industrial Shoes: My wife has really wide feet, and regular Keen hiking boots are among the widest available. Keen shoes have almost cult-like following among people with wide feet. A little known fact, however, is that Keen also makes a line of industrial shoes, some of which are very much like the hiking shoes, but they are available in an extra wide width. Some of these shoes and boots have steel toes, but some are just like the hiking boots. I myself was able to go a full size smaller with the industrial wide boots and find a better fit. My wife went with the Flint Low, soft toe model:
http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/shoes/women/flint-low-pr-soft-toe/chocolate%20brown!woodbine

Neos overshoes: The trip in Nepal required some serious footwear for the higher elevations. We went over a 17,000 foot pass, in snow, wearing micro-crampons. There is no warm place to dry wet boots. She was unable to find a high top waterproof boot that did not eventually eat her feet. The Neos overboots pull over the lowcut shoes and offer a full vibram sole and are 100% waterproof. This let her wear the comfortable breathable shoes the entire trip and just cover them with the over boots in the snow.
https://www.overshoe.com/Pages/default.aspx

Nexcare tape: When we walked the Stevenson Trail, we had yet to find the industrial shoes, and her cramped toes got blisters between each toe. Before going to Nepal, we found a wonderful stretchy tape, and the wider shoes gave her room to tape each toe. This was the final key. After getting a blister the second day, she taped each morning and did another 20 hard days without another one. Milagro!

blisters2.JPG blisters3.JPG blisters4.JPG

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very interesting post, thank you for the contribution.
Not particularly a sufferer myself, but you never know when a new route challenges you !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good post @newfydog - informative. My blisters seem heat related - I don't get them when my feet are cool, I do when it's hot. Over the years my beloved Asics have changed with each new model and the upper is no longer lightweight open mesh. So this next walk I'm trying Ecco sandals and lightweight New Balance runners with cushy inserts but very thin socks which I can layer if necessary. We'll see.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yeah, I think that hot feet are a major contributor. That is another point in favor of the Neos over boots. Waterproof shoes just don't breath, even if they are goretex, and your feet get steamed. @LiseT---I can't find my hand little scale right now, but the Neos overshoes are not exactly feather weight, because the have a substantial sole. They totally work however, and let you wear really light breathable shoes and still have a way to stay dry. They come in all sorts of sizes and options, some insulated for snow, some for wading rivers, some fairly light.

The light pair, by an extremely inaccurate fishing scale (I still can't find my little electronic scale) are 1.5 lbs per pair. Not too bad if they let you do a long hike in runners. My sister did just that on the Stevenson trail. Her feet are so freakin' wide they have been called "deformed" by doctors. She wore some EEEE new balance runners with blown out seams, and put on the over boots when it rained.

Good info. Instead of Hiker Goo which appears petroleum based I like Body Glide although it is more expensive. The original formula contained dimethacone which incorporates into the skin epithelium to prevent friction with the dermis. It is a favorite with long distance runners. However, the company has changed their formula and labeling. Still it is a "liquid powder" that is non-greasy and non-messy. I never got blisters. Many I walked with applied petroleum jelly religiously before starting each day and during the lunch break, and also walked blister free. More info is at this website http://www.bodyglide.com/products/skin-glide/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used Shea butter on my feet every morning, wore the same Keen boots that you pictured. I wore 1 pair of thin weight merino wool socks. I also aired my feet when resting and switched socks to keep my feet dry-->No blisters on the CF!!! Yet after 3 days of rain nearing Santiago, I should have had gaiters, as my Keen's were soaked. Thanks for posting and will check out the Neos.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.