• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wet shoes, cold feet, blisters

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
OK-so I chose my shoes- they are comfy and supportiver. BUT, as trail runners, they don't protect at all from water. If I walk thru grass that is wet with dew they are soaked for my whole training walk. And I'm thinking that my feet might get cold if they are wet in late October, not to mention the risk for developing blisters. The wet shoe issue concerns me. Should it?

Seems like any nylon runner - type shoe will get wet. and stay wet. How have you dealt with this problem?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Walking late autumn/winter I carried simple sandals for relaxing and wore Gore-tex lined hiking boots from Decathlon . Each pair easily lasted 2 caminos walking from SJPdP to Santiago plus either out to Finisterre/Muxia or down to the Portuguese border at Valenca do Mino. Thus the boots easily covered 2000 km before the sole showed wear.... Best of all I never had a blister.

It's a tough call and a very personal thing I reckon.
For my first 3 Caminos I wore lightweight Gor-tex boots and loved them.
Never got wet feet. Never got cold. Never got blisters.

But....

Due to bad knees I have to now wear lighter footwear.
Trailrunners (Hoka Stinson)

I've recently walked a 60 day Camino in them.
Bit of a love/hate relationship (long story) but overall they were great.
I have bought 4 more pairs.........

The question of waterproofing was a concern for me in my planning and trialling of footwear to replace my old boots. I ended up trialling 4 different pairs.
One of the four was Gor-tex, but the fit was really bad.
The thought of walking with wet feet was not good at all!

I was lucky with the weather though. I only got heavy rain on one day.

On that day, walking through wet grass, my shoes were totally waterlogged within 20 metres!
Squelching!

There was not point in changing socks.

So based on all the experience shared here, I just kept going.
The shoes did drain a bit naturally.
But the socks were sodden.

Once the rain stopped and I was walking on harder surfaces, the shoes and socks did start to dry out a bit.
I dried my shoes overnight.
And thankfully the next day was dry.

But I have no doubt........that 2-3 wet feet days in a row, would have led to blisters.
I take great care of my feet and in about 150 Camino days have never had a blister.
So I know what the risk factors are and what it feels like as things are leading towards blistering.
With wet feet day after day, I feel sure I would not have been able to avoid them.

So my situation now, is I have to learn to 'manage' having wet feet.....
Or find lightweight waterproof footwear. (I haven't found any I like to date)

Note. I continue to use a double sock regime with vaseline on my feet.
That probably helps even with wet feet/socks.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No single pair of shoes/boots will be perfect for all the conditions you will encounter. You have to accept that fact and then make the best guess at the best compromise.

Until you get to Galicia, the weather will probably be good much more often than it is bad. Your feet will almost certainly get wet a few times in Galicia in late October. I find that Goretex shoes provide only limited protection (not for all day rain), and they do take longer to dry out. I also find them to be slightly less comfortable on my feet.

For me and my fussy feet, really the only thing that matters is the walking comfort. I take the shoes that feel the best during normal dry conditions. It is not an improvement to have dry but sore feet..

Taping the vulnerable spots on your feet every day is probably the best way to protect against blisters. In your training, you will probably learn about those vulnerable spots.

This is a major reason to also use merino wool socks. I like a fairly heavy sock, even in hot weather. The advantage is that the sock performs much better when wet than other types. I also change them out during the day when it rains. Yes, my feet get wet, but I have not had any problems with blisters since I started using better socks.

I've walked hundreds of kms in sandals and socks in the rain by now. Never had a problem because of that.

Merino wool socks keep the feet warm even when wet. Even if you put cold, soaking wet merino socks on your feet, they only feel uncomfortable for a few seconds. As soon as you start walking, feet get warm again, and if it doesn't continue raining, they dry quickly on your feet, also, if the shoes allow for it (more difficult with heavy boots).

Never had a blister because of wet feet/socks.

If you want your shoes to dry more quickly, you can put old newspapers into them over night. Ask the hospitaleros, they usually have some. It's also good to take out the insoles for drying.

I think wet feet are inevitable on a hike with lots of rain. Even gore tex boots and waxed leather boots will soak through after a while, and will need much more time for drying than something more breathable and open (like a hiking shoe with mesh parts or a sandal). No shoe/boot is 100% waterproof, and if they are, your feet will get wet and hot from sweat, which is more problematic than rain or dew.

I just accept that I have wet feet sometimes when hiking. On some tours I walked through constant cold rain for days, with soaking wet socks. No problem. But of course that was in sandals, not shoes.

I always change into dry socks when resting in a dry area. For example in a bar, I change into the dry socks in the bathroom. That way the feet can dry off a bit. Then when I continue my walk, I put on the wet socks again.

In cold/wet weather, I also carry 1-2 pairs of socks more than in summer. One pair is always kept dry, for the evening.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've walked hundreds of kms in sandals and socks in the rain by now. Never had a problem because of that.

Thanks to a Polish fellow pilgrim, I discovered on my last Camino (Le Puy) that sandals perform just as well, if not better, in hot and wet weather, as my hiking shoes. I wouldn't go on a Camino now without my hiking sandals and woolen socks (must be 80% wool).
I agree, socks and sandals are brilliant for wet weather. And waterproof socks and sandals can be even better!

I wore waterproof socks (Sealskinz brand) over my normal socks on a couple of days with torrential rain. At the end of the day my regular socks underneath the waterproofs were barely damp - most likely from sweat. Next came the day of the mud. Mud puddles completely spanning the trail were unavoidable. But at the end of the day my regular socks that I wore under the waterproofs were clean and dry.

In past years, before I had the waterproof socks I simply let my socks get soaked, and never had a problem with blisters.

When I do get that pre-blister feeling it is in between my toes (my 4th and 5th toes are "triangular") so I started wearing light weight merino or coolmax toe socks as a liner which prevents them from rubbing against each other. It helps.

C Clearly you are right - No single pair of shoes/boots will be perfect for all conditions. I need to accept that fact. Good counsel - thanks.

Old Shoes- what type of sandals do you walk in? And have you ever injured your toes by knocking into something? Good idea to change into dry socks when resting.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks to a Polish fellow pilgrim, I discovered on my last Camino (Le Puy) that sandals perform just as well, if not better, in hot and wet weather, as my hiking shoes. I wouldn't go on a Camino now without my hiking sandals and woolen socks (must be 80% wool).
Sorry - that question goes to Lexicos - what type of sandals?

Trecile- what type/brand of sandals do you wear? I'll check out the sealskinz, too.
Sadly, I keep loving sandals that get discontinued! This year I wore men's Timberland Garrison Trail Webbing sandals, but I really loved my now discontinued Merrell hiking sandals

I like open toe sandals and I have never had a problem with any kind of toe injury. I make sure that there's enough room between the end of my toe and the end of the sandal. But you can always look at Keens for a closed toe.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sadly, I keep loving sandals that get discontinued! This year I wore men's Timberland Garrison Trail Webbing sandals, but I really loved my now discontinued Merrell hiking sandals

I like open toe sandals and I have never had a problem with any kind of toe injury. I make sure that there's enough room between the end of my toe and the end of the sandal. But you can always look at Keens for a closed toe.
Do you have any problems with your feet sweating in these sandals?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear old school Tevas.

One pair is so old I don't even know the model, it is not available anymore. The other ones are classic style lightweight ones, I think they're something like the Hurricane xlt. Very happy with them, but of course it depends on your feet what works for you and what doesn't.

It certainly is "Camino chic" and the fashion snobs will give you funny looks, but I don't mind anymore and even wear them at home

IMG20220403133957.jpg

Edit to add:

Never had problems knocking toes. I even run downhill sections like after the Alto del Perdon.

Only injuries I got walking in the sandals were pressure blisters (own fault, too heavy pack, too long walking days, too much asphalt for weeks). And last year I got a stress fracture in the foot because my old Tevas died on tour and I had to buy a different pair that didn't fit well (not much choice in rural France), which lead - again with stupid decisions - to the injury. It wasn't the sandals fault but mine!

I still walk in sandals and finished that Camino also in sandals. What I learned is to make sure to have a good new pair for a long tour and backup of the same model. And that the Teva Tirra don't fit my feet at all 😂.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have found the Ecco off-road sandals to be the best Marska. There open toe and have a good grip thick sole.
View attachment 151668
My husband hiked in these (with socks) I wear a different brand of sandal (also with socks) that allows an orthotic.
I walked my first two caminos in running shoes, but am now a sandal convert.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
OK-so I chose my shoes- they are comfy and supportiver. BUT, as trail runners, they don't protect at all from water. If I walk thru grass that is wet with dew they are soaked for my whole training walk. And I'm thinking that my feet might get cold if they are wet in late October, not to mention the risk for developing blisters. The wet shoe issue concerns me. Should it?

Seems like any nylon runner - type shoe will get wet. and stay wet. How have you dealt with this problem?
From my experience on numerous Caminos, walking in grass is very rare and easy to avoid. When you have thousands of walkers there is very little grass.

I wear light, Goretex boots from Meindl and I double sock, using nylons under my socks. I also turn both of them inside out so the seams do not rub my toes. 5 Caminos, tons of rain on some of them and have never had wet feet, nor blisters. My socks are just plain old knee socks for 8€ a pair. Have purchased the expensive wool ones, but no longer see the need for them.
I work as a tour guide in Frankfurt and use the same method here. Rain, snow, asphalt, cobblestones, my feet are always happy and they were happy on the Camino too.

I walked in the winter of 2015 through snow and rain wearing light cloth boots and had horrific blisters. If I knew how to put a photo on here I'd show you a photo of my feet! Wear proper boots.........

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked in the winter of 2015 through snow and rain wearing light cloth boots and had horrific blisters. If I knew how to put a photo on here I'd show you a photo of my feet! Wear proper boots.........
@MARSKA is not going to be walking in the winter - I believe that she is starting in September.

Walking late autumn/winter I carried simple sandals for relaxing and wore Gore-tex lined hiking boots from Decathlon . Each pair easily lasted 2 caminos walking from SJPdP to Santiago plus either out to Finisterre/Muxia or down to the Portuguese border at Valenca do Mino. Thus the boots easily covered 2000 km before the sole showed wear.... Best of all I never had a blister.
plus gaiters?!

I wore trail runners both times, loved them. Yes, if it rained they got wet and so did my feet. But, I wore wicking socks and everything (feet, socks, shoes) dried quickly. I did not want anything solid or water proof because those things make by feet sweat. I was more likely to get blisters from sweaty feet every day than from the occasional rain shower.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wear waterproof (Goretex) trail runners and they work great for me. Feet never get wet or sweaty walking in spring or fall. Probably would get sweaty in summer, though. I like having waterproof because even if it's not raining there are always puddles that are hard to avoid sometimes.

I use gaiters a lot to prevent rain getting into my boots. Have looked up Yak trax - but it seems to me they just stop you from slipping on icy roads and don’t stop your feet getting wet.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I got tickled when the Camino de Santiago came up in the Pimsleur Spanish (Spain-Castillian) audio course. In the conversations they said one needs a rain coat ("chubasquero") and rain boots ("botas de agua") for the camino. I wonder if anyone has brought rain boots to the camino based on what they heard in the Pimsleur course. I hope not! They also said one can go by foot ("de pie"), by bicycle ("en bicicleta") or by horse ("a caballo"). So at least that part is accurate, I suppose.

Which camino are you walking? If it's the frances, then I can't recall any section where you will be walking through dewy grass. Some muddy paths maybe but no grass.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is plenty of dewy grass in Spain. Usually you can avoid walking on nice dewy lawns in parks, but not always. Do not buy waterproof boots for a September-October camino simply because you are averse to a bit of dewy grass. You need to take into account the many more km that you will be dealing with dirt paths, asphalt paths, concrete paths, mud, dust, wet rock, loose rock, sidewalks, etc.

I stand by my assertion that you should get the shoes/boots that are most comfortable on your feet for all-day walking. IF you find a waterproof pair and a non-waterproof pair that are absolutely the same in comfort, then you will need to compare the pros and cons of waterproofing.

I use gaiters a lot to prevent rain getting into my boots. Have looked up Yak trax - but it seems to me they just stop you from slipping on icy roads and don’t stop your feet getting wet.

Pelerine,
Of course Yak trex "just" help a boot to grip ice in winter. I consider them as a possibility for winter use and not for keeping féet dry. Sorry that my post was unclear. Mea culpa.

There is plenty of dewy grass in Spain. Usually you can avoid walking on nice dewy lawns in parks, but not always. Do not buy waterproof boots for a September-October camino simply because you are averse to a bit of dewy grass. You need to take into account the many more km that you will be dealing with dirt paths, asphalt paths, concrete paths, mud, dust, wet rock, loose rock, sidewalks, etc.

I stand by my assertion that you should get the shoes/boots that are most comfortable on your feet for all-day walking. IF you find a waterproof pair and a non-waterproof pair that are absolutely the same in comfort, then you will need to compare the pros and cons of waterproofing.
Precisely so. Wet feet won't end a Camino, but blisters, compression fractures and tendonitis from wearing the wrong shoes will. The one you can wear all day is the right one, waterproof or not.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Can I ask the name of the sandal which allowed orthotic please?
They are a German brand called Waldlaufer. I take them to my podiatrist to get the orthotics fitted. The ones I wear are leather, I dont know if they make other types.
In also offend the fashion police by wearing socks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wear waterproof keen boots, "darn tough" socks (which are seamless) and Vaseline my feet. This combination works for me. I'm hard on my footwear lucky to get 1000km, large wide feet and wear orthotics. I endorse spending time finding the right footwear, training in them and going with what works for you. Blisters are manageable - other issues from incorrect footwear etc are trickier. Good luck !

This is a major reason to also use merino wool socks. I like a fairly heavy sock, even in hot weather. The advantage is that the sock performs much better when wet than other types. I also change them out during the day when it rains. Yes, my feet get wet, but I have not had any problems with blisters since I started using better socks.

Agree about merino socks - lightweight. They seem to stick to my feet when wet and any sliding is between the sock and the boot, not the sock and my foot.

From my experience on numerous Caminos, walking in grass is very rare and easy to avoid. When you have thousands of walkers there is very little grass.
That would depend which Camino route you are on. Lengthy walks in the grass have been unavoidable on three of the four routes I've been walking this Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wool is the answer to so many questions regarding feet in this forum. It puzzles me that not more people pick up on this and start wearing woollen socks.

The most important thing is comfort and fit. Yes your feet will get wet. When you stop for coffee, remove your shoes and socks, dry your feet , leave them to air until you finish your coffee. Dry socks and your shoes and carry on. Ask the server at the bar for a newspaper(giornale) I think it is called. Offer to pay for that. When you get to your lodging, stuff your shoes with crumpled sheets of the newspaper. Leave this for 1 hour , remove the wet paper and restuff with dry. Leave this overnight and in the morning your shoes will be dry. Buen camino

Agree, in October you could get cold feet. Gortex boots do provide a solution but the are heavier.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My experience is with rain - the shoes usually don't soak through - but when they get wet they usually dry pretty fast. If they are still wet at the end of the day - you can put newspaper in them overnight to help dry the out.

My socks usually don't soak through with most rain - if they do - it helps to change into dry socks during the day. In October I would bring an extra pair of socks.

Problem is tall wet grass or too many puddles that you can't avoid - that is when my trail runners AND socks get too wet. For those days - I have decided to carry one pair of waterproof socks.

Why did I go that route instead of wearing goretex trail runners or boots? Because my feet do better in generally with lightweight, breathable trail runners. And by bringing waterproof socks - I can have that - but then I can also have the socks for when the ground is way too wet. Best of both worlds and works for me.

I use ankle height waterproof socks and no shoe injinjie toe liner socks. Why ankle height? They weigh less!

I wouldn't switch to goretex boots until full winter condition months... when lots of snow is likely.

My experience is with rain - the shoes usually don't soak through - but when they get wet they usually dry pretty fast. If

Problem is tall wet grass or too many puddles that you can't avoid - that is when my trail runners AND socks get too wet. For those days - I have decided to carry one pair of waterproof socks.

Why did I go that route instead of wearing goretex trail runners or boots? Because my feet do better in generally with lightweight, breathable trail runners. And by bringing waterproof socks - I can have that - but then I can also have the socks for when the ground is way too wet. Best of both worlds and works for me.

I use ankle height waterproof socks and no shoe injinjie toe liner socks. Why ankle height? They weigh less!
Jeanine - I've been looking at waterproof socks and booties. Which brand do you use? I see Sealskinz, NRS, Showers Pass, Capas (neoprene), Pike trail ... lotsa waterproof socks ....

Last edited:
It's a tough call and a very personal thing I reckon.
For my first 3 Caminos I wore lightweight Gor-tex boots and loved them.
Never got wet feet. Never got cold. Never got blisters.

But....

Due to bad knees I have to now wear lighter footwear.
Trailrunners (Hoka Stinson)

I've recently walked a 60 day Camino in them.
Bit of a love/hate relationship (long story) but overall they were great.
I have bought 4 more pairs.........

The question of waterproofing was a concern for me in my planning and trialling of footwear to replace my old boots. I ended up trialling 4 different pairs.
One of the four was Gor-tex, but the fit was really bad.
The thought of walking with wet feet was not good at all!

I was lucky with the weather though. I only got heavy rain on one day.

On that day, walking through wet grass, my shoes were totally waterlogged within 20 metres!
Squelching!

There was not point in changing socks.

So based on all the experience shared here, I just kept going.
The shoes did drain a bit naturally.
But the socks were sodden.

Once the rain stopped and I was walking on harder surfaces, the shoes and socks did start to dry out a bit.
I dried my shoes overnight.
And thankfully the next day was dry.

But I have no doubt........that 2-3 wet feet days in a row, would have led to blisters.
I take great care of my feet and in about 150 Camino days have never had a blister.
So I know what the risk factors are and what it feels like as things are leading towards blistering.
With wet feet day after day, I feel sure I would not have been able to avoid them.

So my situation now, is I have to learn to 'manage' having wet feet.....
Or find lightweight waterproof footwear. (I haven't found any I like to date)

Note. I continue to use a double sock regime with vaseline on my feet.
That probably helps even with wet feet/socks.

Your preferance but i may suggest sealskinz waterproof socks may be your answer if you wish to stick with trainers i used these with trainers in the last 100k of camino see link i am not advertising just pointing in the right direction.
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jeanine - I've been looking at waterproof socks and booties. Which brand do you use? I see Sealskinz, NRS, Showers Pass, Capas (neoprene), Pike trail ... lotsa waterproof socks ....
I would never use either. When I walk in even mild weather my feet sweat that would guarantee blisters

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.