• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking ahead

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

I am walking the Via Gebennensis and The Puy routes this year from mid August to the end of September. I have read a number of posts that refer to booking ahead. Would it make sense to book ahead now or should I wait trying a few days in advance?

I thought the latter however am getting concerned that isn't the way to go.

Yours suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Guy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No idea on the early stage Guy but we booked the first 4 days out from Le Puy in 2012.
The stages are your choice mate and there are great gites everywhere thus booking a few days in advance i would think is the way to go.
We found the crowd between Le Puy and Conques.
Safe trip
David

GuyA said:
...walking the Via Gebennensis and The Puy routes this year from mid August to the end of September....

The Via Gebennensis (Geneva to Le Puy) is lightly travelled -- enough so that the challenge is actually finding lodging. The lodging will not be walker-oriented, and the French do go on holiday in August (competing for those limited beds), so I suspect you might be advised to book in advance (ie, now) just to make sure you have a place to sleep. At least book the first week out of Geneva; if you start getting "complete" responses, go ahead and book the remainder as far as Le Puy. This section will take you about 3 weeks.

The Via Podiensis (Le Puy to ... probably around Figeac or maybe Cahors) is heavily travelled in September. Places will be full every night that month. I strongly suggest you book in advance. However, others may advise you to either take your chances, or just book 1-2 days in advance as you go (and have a sense of your rate of progress).

In any event, 85% of the walkers in France are French, and the French habitually book ahead 1-2 days.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first two gites today were complet in Cajarc at noon. The steps were covered with sacerins' baggage from Transbagages.

Book ahead a couple of days, and cancel if you will not be there, so someone like me can use the bed!!

The first five gites were full today, including the next town. The Tourist Office found a chambres d'hotes with the last two beds in town. A French couple got a two man tent at the campground.

Calling ahead is a good idea.

Limogne en Quercy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Falcon..
Are you seeing many pilgrims walking? The full Gites seem to indicate an uptick in Le Puy activity. There are always complet Gites in May but that sounds like it is a bit more than normal.

We ran into few full Gites last year in late April. We did alway call ahead the night before but did not need any longer advance than the night before.
We never saw any luggage transport..let alone large scale.
The French pilgrims seemed very serious about carrying their own load.

zammy said:
no need for booking in September.

Terribly sorry, but I have to contest this statement. Based on personal experience and on the reports from the Irish operators of the Ultreia gite in Moissac, September (especially the first two weeks) is very busy and you can anticipate the lodgings will be full. The young retirees (in their late 50's and 60's), who have been babysitting the grandkids during August while their parents are on holiday, give the little darlings back when school starts. The weather is good, they have their liberty back, and walking is an inexpensive vacation. So off they go - often in groups.

With the groups and the usual cycle of weekends, some days are heavier than others. If you are synchronized with a big group, you'll be competing with them every night for beds.

You are walking with the French, and the French book ahead.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How are the lovely Rom and Aideen? Are they any closer to finishing the chambre d'hotes? Lovely luxury rooms in the main house.

Yes indeed, their CH rooms in the rear wing are all done up (stayed there in 2010), including a unit with separate living/cooking, suitable for a multi-day stay.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am trying to bypass Cahors and go directly from Vaylats to Lascabane. So far eight places are complet in several small places that are not even towns!! Booking ahead has become vital.

It is crowded, and about half the walkers are "sacerins" using a transportation service for their sacs. A much higher proportion of pilgrims in Spain carry their stuff. The French may be becoming a bit lazy! :wink:

I am now in Sauges and have met a lot of pilgrims both days. Big groups. Most people carry only a small daypack. But Falcon, they are not only French, some of them are German og Englishspeaking. When I was here in 2009 there could be days when I met nobody on the road except for some local hunters.
Randi

Out of Sauges at 8.15. I counted 26 other pilgrims starting at the same time. Since I am a slow walker several people passed me on the road. Gave up counting when the number had passed 50. So it is crowdy here nowadays.
Randi

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm not surprised at the crowds: this week is a major holiday. Thursday is Ascension, Sunday is Pentecost/Whitsunday, Monday is Pentecost Monday/Whitmonday. Mind your provisions over the long holiday weekend as many shops will not be opening. Book ahead for demi-pension if you can. Use Chambre d'hotes if you must. Things should thin out by Tuesday or Conques, whichever comes first.

And as for the French walkers using transport for their baggage: if it weren't for the vacationing French walkers, there wouldn't be enough lodging at decent intervals or pricing for the rest of us. So, whatever it takes to maintain the viability of these local establishments is fine by me!

ANd today, 8.May is holiday, too in France. Glad I have booked ahead.
Randi

There were about fifty walkers leaving the Montcuq town square this morning!

€46,-
Last night 40 people had dinner at Gite Gentianes in Finieyrols and I had not seen any of them before. Icecold morning to day but the path was Ok even after the rain yesterday.

Wow! It seems to be really busy over there at the moment, hey? I hope you guys aren't having to much difficulty booking accommodation.

Enjoy!
Sonn
:)

The thing we loved about the GR 65 was just taking our time , enjoying the villages and trying to make up our mind where to stay.
What about another 5 km's her majesty would ask... yes ? no ? Costs are the same except for a few euros.....why not 8km's ....ring up
We always had a place , just improvise

Yes , some towns will be full and some gites will be booked out , so change the stage or days ahead.
Enjoy this lovely 5 weeks as when its over you will wish you were back there walking .

We had beautiful experiences by not staying in the towns/villages.........just the out of way gites in the countryside......and by tea time you will not be alone.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This past Spring it was possible to walk without ever making a reservation - however - if you are planning to stay demi-pension it should be understood as an act of courteousness to call well ahead of time to allow the people in the gite chosen the time needed to purchase and prepare your dinner. A soup, bread and wine, a salad, a meat course, often both dessert and cheese can be improvised at the last minute however to continually expect such service at a moment's notice without calling seems unkind.

Based on this thread and everything else I've been reading I plan to set out from Le Puy on Thursday Sept 12. I'll have reservations for the first 3 or 4 nights and see how it goes.

I don't want to plan many days ahead, but I can certainly see booking a day or two ahead so I can make it up as I go along, balancing spontaneity and being responsive to the weather and my body with my basically conservative nature. I suppose one advantage I have is that I can afford to pay more when necessary, though I certainly won't want to bust my budget in my first ten days.

This will require some alertness to & awareness of the possibility of additional traffic on weekends or out of a few of the larger towns, and (most important) some of the stages where accommodations are comparatively thin on the ground. I don't see any French holidays to consider.

I love planning, because it means that when something I've planned doesn't work out I always have that alternative I rejected to fall back on. Any plan I've rejected is really plan B, even if I don't imagine that when I initially reject it.

Now if only the distances in Miam Maim Dodo matched the distances on http://www.godesalco.com/ ....

I have come to doubt the MMD distances. We have GPS, Godesalco, and Michelin maps. MMD seems to be the least accurate.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The MMD I regard as mud maps. They give a vague sense of direction and distance only!

All the above concerning the MMD is true, there is also a small convenient Michelin guide which fits a hip pocket perfectly and map-wise one doesn't need much more since it is very very difficult to go walkabout on the Chemin - however - nothing works as well as MMD concerning lodging, victuals, and lunchtime! Its a wonderful guide for Miam Miam and Dodo and your Yum Yum Nighty Night takes on a greater importance once you know that you can't get lost.

Scruffy I agree - and wow have we had some yummy yummy food (and wine) and some dreamy nighty nights! Last year I bought the Michelin map app for the eye phone and it was great. And MMDD has just brought out an app which I'm looking forward to trying sometime. It isn't available for download internationally but presumably it is in France.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow this is really helpful.

I assume "go walkabout" means "lose your way" and has nothing to do with the sort of walkabout the Queen does.

I'd much prefer a paper map. Just what is this "convenient Michelin guide which fits a hip pocket perfectly"? The Michelin products number in the hundreds!

Almost every book store, souvenir shop, newspaper kiosk from Le Puy to SJpP sells a small thin almost pamphlet Michelin Chemin Le Puy booklet often right next to the cash register. Together with MMD those who stick to the GR65 will have good distances and even topography as well as a decent map including several kilometers on either side. Walkabout is the urge to depart from the expected path without notice and to reappear or rejoin just as suddenly, a characteristic which I have come to understand as something inherent in my approach to the Chemin and the Camino as well as to life. For me it works.

I think the waymarking has improved quite a lot since I walked here 4 years ago. There is also more information along the route.
The possibility to get some food in the middle of the day has not improved. So carry food for the day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you for your various responses. After considering the various opinions I have decided to book in advance. Interestingly enough as I started testing out reserving in advance I received four replies that lodgings were booked on The Puy route.

On the negative side I realize that I will lose some flexibility and run the risk that I may not be able to keep a reservation. Should that happen I will certainly be in contact with the gite or other accommodation owner.

On the plus side, knowing how I go about things, I will gain the flexibility within a specific day to slow down and take in a few sights instead of simply getting somewhere to get lodging for the night.

For sure when I complete the Camino France (anticipate early October start) I am simply going with the flow and not booking in advance.

A little more than 2 months to go!

Thanks

Guy

Booking ahead on the Le Puy route is not a bad idea. It was great for me since I so often do short stages because I'm, well, a dawdler and I'm also, well...lazy! I remember finding a good reception spot in Gascony and booking the next three days in a matter of minutes. What bliss to think how little I would be walking and how there would be a bed waiting for me at end of each short jaunt.

Now, if you're more ambitious with your stages, booking can create pressure, which is still another reason for loafing. But I am told by strenuous types that they enjoy having to cover a big distance to meet a booking commitment. So it's a win for dawdlers and for achievers!

All of this was made possible for me by an up-to-date Miam Miam Dodo. So buy fresh!

Rob

As you come from the rural back blocks of NSW Robert , i would love to know your ratio with accommodation from MMDD that have the horse sharing your stay ??
Many years ago we had the best experiences on the Frances using MMDD as our guide and most had the "" horse shoe"" shown.
We love the dawdle and max. of 20km days.
Best wishes on your walks Robert,
David

€46,-
Indeed, David, I live surrounded by horses, though someone else minds them. It is my great regret that they are vegetarians and don't eat possums and bowerbirds. (I keep pythons and goannas for that purpose...or they keep me.)

Singapore Airlines have been pretty stubborn about letting me bring a horse, so I just foot my caminos. I'm thinking of cutting down daily distances and using a luggage service in the future, though it's hard to shave any more distance off my stages. Then there are the awkward moments when people ask me how far I've come in the day. I never know if they're giving me a look of compassion or contempt or bewilderment or all three.

I hope you are planning more caminos. My mind is on Arles via the Regordane. Because of rugby, Australians have a rep for athleticism in southern parts of France. We'll see about that once I've finished dawdling and loafing my way to Somport!

Best

Rob.

Just finished walking a stage from le puy. You definitely had to book ahead. An American guy had to walk two hours in the snow to the next gite as they were booked!

I've acquired the Michelin map for this route and totally love it. Thanks Scruffy!

It has just the amount of detail I need and its beautiful print quality sure beats the muddy MMDD maps. A few city maps are great to have a s well. And though it lays out stages, it's also very easy to work out your own with a simple flip of a page -- and in very rare instances if you cover very long distances, 2 pages. MMDD's format can take four to six page flips and much more math. MMDD is just too exhausting to be practical for planning even a day or two ahead. And by planning I don't mean necessarily making decisions or reservations, but just getting a sense of one's options and the hurdles ahead. (I hope some newbie doesn't freak out -- there are hurdles?!?)

Now if MMDD would just get its data online, all would be good. I hope they're not struggling with getting their maps online. Their value is all in the accommodations info.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hmm. Although the MMD maps are not topographic, I found the schematics very useful, as they show all the neighboring cross streets. And much of the info is online (wish I could remember the site name; it's linked on my blog resources page) - the problem is that many of the establishments do not have an online presence to link to.

I guess I'm having trouble understanding how MMD is a hurdle rather than a resource.

TopoGuides by the ffrandonee folks have topo maps and a list of accommodations along the routes. MMD is a bit better because it lists places nearby to about 4km of the route, and it has prices. On balance I have found it better than MMD because its maps are more useful. Both have email and website information for lodging.

Rando editions falls in the middle. It has lodging prices and useful maps without contour lines, but includes a stage profile that substitutes for the lines.

Ffrandonnee has guides for almost every walk in France. MMD has LePuy, Arles, Stevevson, and Camino Frances.

Yes indeed, their CH rooms in the rear wing are all done up (stayed there in 2010), including a unit with separate living/cooking, suitable for a multi-day stay.

Hi Kitsambler - I was thinking of booking into their lovely place in Moissac - I see there CH rooms are lovely - can you tell me what the gite d'etape rooms are like there as they don't have photos on their website... ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The gite section has two bunkrooms; one sleeps 4 and has its own bath. The other sleeps 8 (I think) and has its own bath.

The gite section has two bunkrooms; one sleeps 4 and has its own bath. The other sleeps 8 (I think) and has its own bath.

Thanks Kitsambler :)

Hi irshgurrrl, my two friends and I stayed last June in a room for 3 in the gite section at Ultreia in Moissac. The gite section is lovely.
Photo 1 : Outside of gite section
Photo 2 : Inside of gite section
Photo 3 : Kitchen and dining room
The Le Puy route is beautiful.
Bon chemin.
Dolfina

Attachments

• 706.JPG
    706.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 707.JPG
    707.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 30
  • 714.JPG
    714.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 29

€60,-
Hi irshgurrrl, my two friends and I stayed last June in a room for 3 in the gite section at Ultreia in Moissac. The gite section is lovely.
Photo 1 : Outside of gite section
Photo 2 : Inside of gite section
Photo 3 : Kitchen and dining room
The Le Puy route is beautiful.
Bon chemin.
Dolfina

It looks lovely - Thanks for sharing Dolfina :)

We have chosen to book ahead for our September/October camino from Le Puy to SJPdP......just received the last confirmation this morning, in fact!
Some places were full but generally no problems. We simply prefer to not have our lodging being an issue during our walk and we have no problem knowing how far we can go in a day. It works for us.

We have chosen to book ahead for our September/October camino from Le Puy to SJPdP......just received the last confirmation this morning, in fact!
Some places were full but generally no problems. We simply prefer to not have our lodging being an issue during our walk and we have no problem knowing how far we can go in a day. It works for us.
Have you booked the WHOLE trip accommodation already ?
Some places are already full???
I am beginning to have a panic attack.
I was happy to book a day in advance but the whole 5 weeks!!!
I think I will stop reading this forum

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
YMMV.....it is obviously not necessary to book ahead and I have no idea how many do or don't. We simply choose to as it makes our trip more enjoyable.
There is no reason to have a panic attack or stop reading the forum. If you are happy to book a day in advance, then that is precisely what you should do. If a place is full now, maybe someone won't show up and there will be a vacancy the day you are there. Or just move on to the next.

My husband and I are walking from Le Puy to SJPDP this Sep/Oct, and are booking only the first week ahead of time. Once we're on the trail we will book one or two days ahead. Much as I dislike having to worry about reservations, it WILL be nice to enjoy the walking and not feel pressured to get to our destination.
Canucks, when do you start walking? We are leaving Le Puy on Sep. 8th.

We leave Le Puy on the 6th. We know how far we can walk so it makes it easy for us to know where we are going.....plus, one of us (not me, haha) loves the research and booking process necessary to stay exactly where we wish. Part of our enjoyment is staying in charming little places that enhance our trip, good food, good wine, and being able to observe the lives of people in the small villages we stay in.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Some places are already full???
I am beginning to have a panic attack.
I was happy to book a day in advance but the whole 5 weeks!!!

We never booked more than a day ahead, except for a week when we had friends walking with us and we were a party of six.

Don't be concerned that some places are booked out; on the Le Puy there are plenty of alternatives. The full bookings are because the French in large groups will have made bookings weeks ahead; they are very organised.

Ivar,
have you any plans to start a group for people (like me!) who are getting addicted to this site?
I have have zero chance of "not reading" this forum.

I'm loving these Le Puy threads here on the forum. I'm in the planning stages of Le Chemin Le Puy for 2015. Just ordered the MMDD book from Amazon UK today (not available here from Amazon in the States).
I've now learned that I should also have the Michelin maps - but thanks to Scruffy have learned I can pick that up in Le Puy.
I already have the Cicerone Guidebook and am reading that presently.
Falcon - where can I get the Rando and Ffrandonnee editions?
Thanks,
Arlène

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you Kanga, I guess I can wait until I arrive in Le Puy to purchase those editions. I'll busy myself with the Cicerone and MMDD books in the meantime.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...
Hi- I am starting the Via Podiensis Camino at the end of the month. I know people swear by the MMDD guide book for this camino but I am not sure why. So far I have been making use of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.