• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking method?

bluemoonfound

Hello,

First time international traveler with a quick question: is it better to book a flight to Spain with an agent versus booking independently online? I'll also be looking for travel insurance.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Buen Camino :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola - welcome to the forum. For many years I have simply booked international travel direct with the airline on line with never a problem. As for travel insurance - I am not sure what country you are in but if you type "travel insurance" into the search box at the top of the page you will see many posts giving the experience of other pilgrims.

Best wishes

John

I do both. Booking online is great for simple itineraries such as return flights, but can be more difficult for complex plans that might have an open jaw or multiple carriers. In those cases, I am happy to pay a travel agent.

Whether or not you use an agent shouldn't affect your decision to obtain travel insurance, although the agent might be inclined to promote specific products. I normally do this online.

Regards,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi!

As an aside, I understand that in certain circumstances paying with a credit card gives you more protection if the airline went bust or similar.

Buen Camino!

I'm based in Dublin and was looking at prices online for someone coming from Toronto (same could be said for the east coast of the US) and I found that booking three one way tickets was the way to go. Using travelocity or any site like that to book a flight from Toronto to Dublin and another back from Porto. The middle ticket Dublin to Biarritz with Ryanair, which is rarely included in those multi-airline sites. Including the direct buses (to sjpp and Porto) and all three flights it totalled around $1400 for the beginning of September. All direct, taking about 12 hours total from Toronto to SJPP and six of that could be sleeping when you naturally would be.

Ryanair usually uses the smaller airport on the outside of bigger cities, however Dublin doesn't have one. So all main airlines and cheaper ones like Ryanair fly in and out. Ryanair only fly to Biarritz four days a week departing around noon. So if you can get a night flight to Dublin that lands in the morning (you can sleep on the plane) presumably you could go through customs and turn around and go back in to fly out again (flying from EU country to EU country even as a US citizen is a breeze) without leaving the airport. It's not a big airport and two hours is more than enough time. Plus Ryanair lets you to check in online 24 hours before so you can actually already be checked in for the flight before you fly to Dublin.

Granted, I've never done this but thought I'd put it out there. If not checking a bag one would think this would be a very cheap and easy way to go. Many connect in London but sometimes Dublin might prove beneficial especially if you have to change from Heathrow to Stanstead airport. I hate flying out of my way and try not to do it when ever possible.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yes, London can be a pain (and potentially very expensive) unless you get a good transatlantic deal, the timings are right, and you know what you're doing with transfers/hotels.

I'd disagree about the online check-in with Ryanair, though. In practice online check-in doesn't change anything, except that they can charge you more if you haven't got the extra piece of paper with you. It would be great if you could just walk into the airport, avoid the desks altogether and go straight through security to the gate, but you can't. In effect you're paying £6 to save them printing a sheet of paper (or £30+ if you forget to print it yourself!).

I missed my flight back from Valladolid in March, which I'd already 'checked-in' for. As far as I know it didn't lead to a security alert at the airport!

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Buen Camino everyone. What is usually the plan once you reach Santiago. Can people walk back and stay at alberges on the return leg of the trip? Or do people just bus or train back to the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back