• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boots off, feet up! We have completed the Mozarabe!

debigetsout

Donating Member
Time of past OR future Camino
all
We have now completed the Camino Mozarabe, walking from Almeria to Merida. Gerard and I documented our walk, in English and Dutch, in our Find Penguins blog, which you can access here:
https://findpenguins.com/50kui6mow4grm/trip/65c5044d839277-46917355

We enthusiastically recommend the Camino Mozarabe and are happy to now be part of what Peregrina2000 refers to as the ‘Mozarabe Mob’, although there are a number of considerations that peregrinos should be aware of before they take on this sometimes demanding route. We want to draw your attention to some of the pros and cons.

We must begin with a big warm thanks to Nely (definitely a pro!), who provides peregrinos with a very generous welcome and introduction to the CM from the Albergue in her home. We are very sorry to hear that she may be closing her Albergue
 Such a loss to the CM! We also want to thank the Forum members who virtually accompanied us on our walk, via the Find Penguins app. We received some very helpful advice, both on the Forum and Find Penguins. This Forum is indispensable!

The early days of the walk, through and alongside the Sierra Nevada, were extraordinarily beautiful, although definitely challenging, given the endless climbs and descents. We found ourselves relieved to stop walking after a 20 km day, a distance that would have been a warm up on our CFs or the VdLP. Perhaps we did not begin in our best physical condition? Regardless, we were feeling tired but strong by the time we reached Merida!

The CM is set up to receive many more peregrinos than currently walk it. The arrows and signposts are plentiful, and there seems to be a celebration/promotion of the route that greets peregrinos along the way. There is clearly some EU money going into creating the infrastructure. Everyone we encountered was really kind to us, doing their best to be helpful, even with our limited Spanish. They want us!

And the albergues! This is a route where you should consider choosing the municipal albergues over the private hostals. Most were spacious and clean, and provided an opportunity to prepare food and wash clothing. They were typically cold (not surprising in February-March), but space heaters were provided that warmed things up nicely. Sometimes there were broken toilet seats, an absence of soap, no disposable sheets, and sketchy cleaning, but we encountered similar limitations in some private hostal accommodations. Usually Gerard and I were alone in the albergues. We did not meet any other peregrinos until after Granada, and then not many of them.

We did, however, encounter a lot of dogs, and found that the CM dogs were mainly lovely creatures, unlike the awful beasts we encountered along the Camino Serrana at this time last year. We feel much better about meeting dogs along the way now, although the amount of dog shit in many villages was extraordinary. You must watch every step!

Now for the cautions. This is a route that you must be well-prepared to take on. On many days you must carry food with you for lunch and dinner, plus energy snacks and lots of water, because you will not encounter a village, and if you do there is a good chance that nothing will be open. Most mornings we could find a bar open for coffee con leche and a tostada. Yay! If you are considering walking the CM you have likely walked other camino routes and have some familiarity with Spanish eating, resting, and working patterns, and frequent holidays. There were many days when we searched in vain for a little tienda or bar open in the mid-afternoon or evening. Evenings were the most challenging, given that in Spain the main meal of the day is mid-day (when we would still be walking), and restaurants do not open for dinner
. If they open at all
 until after 8:30 pm. You will not find pilgrim menus/time considerations on the CM.

There was not a lot of camaraderie, outside of the cities. We were able to have meals or drinks only twice with other peregrinos (people walking a bit later in the season will of course have more company), but more significantly, we could find no active public spaces in the towns along the way, other than a handful of men in a local bar. Perhaps it was also the time of year?

If you are not a ‘walk every step’ peregrino, we suggest skipping the day after Granada, as AndrewG recommended. It’s a boring industrial stretch where you walk entirely on pavement. There is a bus (225) to Pinos Puente. After several km, you will begin a steep but stunning climb to Moclin. This is the last day that presents a challenging ascent. After Moclin, the route becomes less demanding, but the trade off is that the route is also less beautiful. Still, we enjoyed walking through olive groves, farmland, natural areas, and fields of lovely flowers that were happily already in bloom. While more ordinary than the first days of the CM, this section was nonetheless rewarding. The CM, for us, only became uninteresting after La Haba, when the days were mainly just a means to get to our destination, Merida. There was a lot of pavement and walking on or near highways. We listened to music and podcasts to pass the time (except on busy highways, where we needed to have full use of our senses).

We were super fortunate with the weather, particularly given the time of year. Mornings were cool, and for the first two weeks, by the afternoon very warm (too warm!). The temperature moderated later, which was much nicer for walking. We had only a few days of rain, including a day with very strong winds and driving rain that turned my boots into ponds, and another day with driving rain that changed to driving hail, then sun, then repeat. People who began the CM two weeks after us were not so fortunate, with freezing temperatures and sometimes snow. It’s the luck of the draw, but we would certainly recommend a February-March walk over the following months, unless you love very hot weather. The flowers in bloom alone will bring cheer to your days.

Something we would do differently, in retrospect, is to have more rest days, making time to explore more of the towns that we passed through. We only took one rest day, in Granada, and I took a cab one day when I was ill. We say this to ourselves with every camino, but when we are en route, we seem to want to keep moving forward.

There is a lot more detail (and photos) on our Find Penguin blog. We can also try to answer any questions that you may have on this forum, and no doubt other CM fans will pitch in. We hope you will decide that this route is for you!

~debi and Gerard

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We have now completed the Camino Mozarabe, walking from Almeria to Merida. Gerard and I documented our walk, in English and Dutch, in our Find Penguins blog, which you can access here:

We enthusiastically recommend the Camino Mozarabe and are happy to now be part of what Peregrina2000 refers to as the ‘Mozarabe Mob’, although there are a number of considerations that peregrinos should be aware of before they take on this sometimes demanding route. We want to draw your attention to some of the pros and cons.

We must begin with a big warm thanks to Nely (definitely a pro!), who provides peregrinos with a very generous welcome and introduction to the CM from the Albergue in her home. We are very sorry to hear that she may be closing her Albergue
 Such a loss to the CM! We also want to thank the Forum members who virtually accompanied us on our walk, via the Find Penguins app. We received some very helpful advice, both on the Forum and Find Penguins. This Forum is indispensable!

The early days of the walk, through and alongside the Sierra Nevada, were extraordinarily beautiful, although definitely challenging, given the endless climbs and descents. We found ourselves relieved to stop walking after a 20 km day, a distance that would have been a warm up on our CFs or the VdLP. Perhaps we did not begin in our best physical condition? Regardless, we were feeling tired but strong by the time we reached Merida!

The CM is set up to receive many more peregrinos than currently walk it. The arrows and signposts are plentiful, and there seems to be a celebration/promotion of the route that greets peregrinos along the way. There is clearly some EU money going into creating the infrastructure. Everyone we encountered was really kind to us, doing their best to be helpful, even with our limited Spanish. They want us!

And the albergues! This is a route where you should consider choosing the municipal albergues over the private hostals. Most were spacious and clean, and provided an opportunity to prepare food and wash clothing. They were typically cold (not surprising in February-March), but space heaters were provided that warmed things up nicely. Sometimes there were broken toilet seats, an absence of soap, no disposable sheets, and sketchy cleaning, but we encountered similar limitations in some private hostal accommodations. Usually Gerard and I were alone in the albergues. We did not meet any other peregrinos until after Granada, and then not many of them.

We did, however, encounter a lot of dogs, and found that the CM dogs were mainly lovely creatures, unlike the awful beasts we encountered along the Camino Serrana at this time last year. We feel much better about meeting dogs along the way now, although the amount of dog shit in many villages was extraordinary. You must watch every step!

Now for the cautions. This is a route that you must be well-prepared to take on. On many days you must carry food with you for lunch and dinner, plus energy snacks and lots of water, because you will not encounter a village, and if you do there is a good chance that nothing will be open. Most mornings we could find a bar open for coffee con leche and a tostada. Yay! If you are considering walking the CM you have likely walked other camino routes and have some familiarity with Spanish eating, resting, and working patterns, and frequent holidays. There were many days when we searched in vain for a little tienda or bar open in the mid-afternoon or evening. Evenings were the most challenging, given that in Spain the main meal of the day is mid-day (when we would still be walking), and restaurants do not open for dinner
. If they open at all
 until after 8:30 pm. You will not find pilgrim menus/time considerations on the CM.

There was not a lot of camaraderie, outside of the cities. We were able to have meals or drinks only twice with other peregrinos (people walking a bit later in the season will of course have more company), but more significantly, we could find no active public spaces in the towns along the way, other than a handful of men in a local bar. Perhaps it was also the time of year?

If you are not a ‘walk every step’ peregrino, we suggest skipping the day after Granada, as AndrewG recommended. It’s a boring industrial stretch where you walk entirely on pavement. There is a bus (225) to Pinos Puente. After several km, you will begin a steep but stunning climb to Moclin. This is the last day that presents a challenging ascent. After Moclin, the route becomes less demanding, but the trade off is that the route is also less beautiful. Still, we enjoyed walking through olive groves, farmland, natural areas, and fields of lovely flowers that were happily already in bloom. While more ordinary than the first days of the CM, this section was nonetheless rewarding. The CM, for us, only became uninteresting after La Haba, when the days were mainly just a means to get to our destination, Merida. There was a lot of pavement and walking on or near highways. We listened to music and podcasts to pass the time (except on busy highways, where we needed to have full use of our senses).

We were super fortunate with the weather, particularly given the time of year. Mornings were cool, and for the first two weeks, by the afternoon very warm (too warm!). The temperature moderated later, which was much nicer for walking. We had only a few days of rain, including a day with very strong winds and driving rain that turned my boots into ponds, and another day with driving rain that changed to driving hail, then sun, then repeat. People who began the CM two weeks after us were not so fortunate, with freezing temperatures and sometimes snow. It’s the luck of the draw, but we would certainly recommend a February-March walk over the following months, unless you love very hot weather. The flowers in bloom alone will bring cheer to your days.

Something we would do differently, in retrospect, is to have more rest days, making time to explore more of the towns that we passed through. We only took one rest day, in Granada, and I took a cab one day when I was ill. We say this to ourselves with every camino, but when we are en route, we seem to want to keep moving forward.

There is a lot more detail (and photos) on our Find Penguin blog. We can also try to answer any questions that you may have on this forum, and no doubt other CM fans will pitch in. We hope you will decide that this route is for you!

~debi and Gerard
Thank you so much for sharing! There are still little information about mozarabe. I plan to walk it from Almería also. But I intend to go further, al the way to Santiago de Compostella and Muxia and Finisterra (through Trujillo and then to Sanabrés-Ourense). But I am aware that it is going to take a looooots of days. So I keep postponning it (from 2024 to maybe 2025 or 2026). I have this urge to walk from mediterraian watters to atlantic watters.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My idea is to start my Mozarabe in mids february, in order to avoid walking the last part of it in summer - people should be aware of the high temperatures in Extremadura, which can be almost deadly, even for me, used to brazilian sunny beaches! So I guess it is really going to be my most solitary camino, which is actulay good (so far, Portugues in March and Primitivo in october/november were the less poppuleted I've been). I aks you: 1) the fact that there is few sunny hours had much impact on your walking journeys? Did you way sun getting up?; I plan to take adventage of loneliness to draw and watercolour my travelsketchbook, so, 2) are natural landscapes in february/march worthed? I hope so. 3) what about internet cover in the area, citys, albergues?

My idea is to start my Mozarabe in mids february, in order to avoid walking the last part of it in summer - people should be aware of the high temperatures in Extremadura, which can be almost deadly, even for me, used to brazilian sunny beaches! So I guess it is really going to be my most solitary camino, which is actulay good (so far, Portugues in March and Primitivo in october/november were the less poppuleted I've been). I aks you: 1) the fact that there is few sunny hours had much impact on your walking journeys? Did you way sun getting up?; I plan to take adventage of loneliness to draw and watercolour my travelsketchbook, so, 2) are natural landscapes in february/march worthed? I hope so. 3) what about internet cover in the area, citys, albergues?
We began walking on 6 February and we had plenty of sunlight. We also had lots of flowers, and wonderful views! I recall reading about an artist who walked the CF and rented a donkey to carry her easel and art supplies. She published a beautiful book of her paintings, which I intended to buy and did not. Will look for her contact information. We usually had no problem with internet coverage, although there are some spots where you will briefly not have a signal.

Thank you so much for sharing! There are still little information about mozarabe. I plan to walk it from Almería also. But I intend to go further, al the way to Santiago de Compostella and Muxia and Finisterra (through Trujillo and then to Sanabrés-Ourense). But I am aware that it is going to take a looooots of days. So I keep postponning it (from 2024 to maybe 2025 or 2026). I have this urge to walk from mediterraian watters to atlantic watters.
It would be great to walk all the way to Finisterra! We have already walked the VdLP, and Finisterra, so that was a factor for stopping at Merida, as well as time constraints. But if you can do it, wonderful!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

. If they open at all

~debi and Gerard
Thank you both for your thoughts and account of your walk. I am walking from Almeria to Merida starting the first of April and had a question. I have walked in Portugal and Spain last year and did not carry a sleeping bag. I was hoping to do the same but am thinking I may need to carry something. I am not sure of where I will be lodging as of yet but after chatting with Nely and Mercedes, it seems I will be using at least some Albergues if not all. Did you carry a lightweight bag, I generally walk with a 34 L pack, minimal if possible. Thank you again, your thoughts are appreciated and I'm glad you enjoyed your time.

Best
Bob

Thank you both for your thoughts and account of your walk. I am walking from Almeria to Merida starting the first of April and had a question. I have walked in Portugal and Spain last year and did not carry a sleeping bag. I was hoping to do the same but am thinking I may need to carry something. I am not sure of where I will be lodging as of yet but after chatting with Nely and Mercedes, it seems I will be using at least some Albergues if not all. Did you carry a lightweight bag, I generally walk with a 34 L pack, minimal if possible. Thank you again, your thoughts are appreciated and I'm glad you enjoyed your time.

Best
Bob
Hi, I started in AlmerĂ­a on 17th February and currently making my way to MĂ©rida.
The municipal albergues tend to have blankets, but no sheets, and some also don't have the little paper covers to go over the plastic mattresses and pillows. There is directions though to where you can go buy some (usually in the farmacy) if there isn't any. (I'm comfortable sleeping on the plastic but I know not everyone is).
I'm carrying my quilt (think sleeping bag without the bottom) and find it easy to pack in my 35l pack but then I am quite a minimalist in what I bring. If you don't bring a sleeping bag you may want to consider a silk liner or something like that for comfort.
I would definitely recommend the albergues, especially between almerĂ­a and granada. Some of them are in quite special places with great views.

Best
Bob
It depends how you feel about contact with Albergue blankets! All of the albergues had thick warm blankets, so our very light summer weight sleeping bags were not strictly necessary, but we did like to have our own bags around us. We also took a light sleeping bag liner for extra warmth and protection, and that may be enough for you. BTW, the blankets generally looked acceptable, as the CM is not a high traffic route. So up to you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We began walking on 6 February and we had plenty of sunlight. We also had lots of flowers, and wonderful views! I recall reading about an artist who walked the CF and rented a donkey to carry her easel and art supplies. She published a beautiful book of her paintings, which I intended to buy and did not. Will look for her contact information. We usually had no problem with internet coverage, although there are some spots where you will briefly not have a signal.
Here is the link to the book: https://www.sharonbamber.com/product/1000-miles-walking-painting-the-way-of-saint-james/
Here are some other examples: https://www.susanabbott.com/catalog...tings-and-writing-from-the-camino-de-santiago

Hi, I started in AlmerĂ­a on 17th February and currently making my way to MĂ©rida.
The municipal albergues tend to have blankets, but no sheets, and some also don't have the little paper covers to go over the plastic mattresses and pillows. There is directions though to where you can go buy some (usually in the farmacy) if there isn't any. (I'm comfortable sleeping on the plastic but I know not everyone is).
I'm carrying my quilt (think sleeping bag without the bottom) and find it easy to pack in my 35l pack but then I am quite a minimalist in what I bring. If you don't bring a sleeping bag you may want to consider a silk liner or something like that for comfort.
I would definitely recommend the albergues, especially between almerĂ­a and granada. Some of them are in quite special places with great views.

Last edited:
Thank you for that advice. I have a silk liner and will look into some form of light bag or quilt. The weather seems pleasant enough now. Any advice on light jacket, etc. I generally walk light but I know it can be chilly in mornings and evenings.
Best wishes to you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It depends how you feel about contact with Albergue blankets! All of the albergues had thick warm blankets, so our very light summer weight sleeping bags were not strictly necessary, but we did like to have our own bags around us. We also took a light sleeping bag liner for extra warmth and protection, and that may be enough for you. BTW, the blankets generally looked acceptable, as the CM is not a high traffic route. So up to you!
Thank you for that advice, it is very helpful. Best wishes

À great write up Debi. I was just two weeks behind Debi and GĂ©rard and it was interesting more or less following in their footsteps. I agree about carrying extra food as there is not always somewhere available to eat out. A couple of Spanish pereginos laughed when I told them I was going to cook a pasta supper using just a microwave and a couple of glasses (no bowls available), but it worked. đŸ€Ł.
I was so relieved later that the post office in Alboloduy was shut in the morning, otherwise I would have sent essential clothing home. Much better to carry some extra weight and be prepared, certainly at this time of year. An absolutely stunning camino.

. If they open at all

~debi and Gerard
Yes thankyou for all the information
I doubt that we'll walk that way ... unless I have a double leg transplant and can shed 15 or so years!!
I loved following your footsteps and seeing your wonderful photos
Many thanks Roger

A selection of Camino Jewellery

. If they open at all

~debi and Gerard
Great photos and great account of your journey,thank you very much

Any advice on light jacket, etc. I generally walk light but I know it can be chilly in mornings and evenings.
If you are starting beginning of April I suspect the weather might be different enough that our experiences might not be super relevant and you are probably better asking for advice from Bely and Mercedes or checking past weather reports.
For me personally, I have a polartec fleece, a lightweight synthetic jacket and a very light rain/wind jacket and at points I've used all three.
Keep in mind that while you start in AlmerĂ­a by the sea you go up into the foothills of the Sierra Nevada (1400m) so it will obviously be much colder there. It might be useful to check weather for MoclĂ­n or Quentar (the highest villages you will pass) as well as the big cities.
For me the big surprise has been that even on some days where the weather is actually really nice 15-20 degrees (59-68 Fahrenheit) there can be blasts of icy cold wind. I'm not sure if that's just particular to this specific time but if not I'd definitely recommend bringing something that doesn't add warmth but stops the wind.
If you're interested in a slightly differently account you can also check my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/karol_vloe?igsh=MXJ6d2Y0b3NkZmVwbw==

I just finished and have enjoyed your lovely photos and posts on Find Penguins. Thank you so much Debi and Gerard for sharing your remarkable journey and for your summary here. Very helpful information! Much appreciated!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for that advice, it is very helpful. Best wishes
I didn't respond to your question about jackets. I confess that we have high end gortex, but that is not necessary if you have a light weight rain cape that covers your pack as well. The main thing, as you know, is to layer. Only thinking about it now, but I'd say we each buy something new and improved every year or so, which has kept the cost of the high tech stuff more manageable.

We are very minimalist in the clothing we carry and took mainly light weight clothing that insulates (including a merino layer). I liked having a very light weight down jacket (bought in Granada at Decathlon when the temperature dropped) for my evening wear as it did not stink like my daytime fleece. G made do with one heavier, wind proof fleece for day and evening, but sometimes envied my little down jacket.

Last edited:
If you are starting beginning of April I suspect the weather might be different enough that our experiences might not be super relevant and you are probably better asking for advice from Bely and Mercedes or checking past weather reports.
For me personally, I have a polartec fleece, a lightweight synthetic jacket and a very light rain/wind jacket and at points I've used all three.
Keep in mind that while you start in AlmerĂ­a by the sea you go up into the foothills of the Sierra Nevada (1400m) so it will obviously be much colder there. It might be useful to check weather for MoclĂ­n or Quentar (the highest villages you will pass) as well as the big cities.
For me the big surprise has been that even on some days where the weather is actually really nice 15-20 degrees (59-68 Fahrenheit) there can be blasts of icy cold wind. I'm not sure if that's just particular to this specific time but if not I'd definitely recommend bringing something that doesn't add warmth but stops the wind.
If you're interested in a slightly differently account you can also check my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/karol_vloe?igsh=MXJ6d2Y0b3NkZmVwbw==
Yes, good to check out different perspectives. You can also request access to AndrewG's Find Penguins blog for more detail on the CM, including attention to the sites along the way. You can also check out Damien Reynold's summary of the CM in the Forum, which is somewhat different than ours. Damien appears to be much more fit and a faster walker than we are!

I have not tried Instagram and am curious about its ease of use. The nice thing about Find Penguins is that, once you end your trip, you can have an e-book of your postings created for free (if you want to order a hard copy, that will cost you) and download it onto your computer so that you don't have to worry about it disappearing. I don't know Find Penguins sufficiently to know the downside to it, but there surely must be one.

Last edited:
Very helpful, thank you. I fly to Madrid this coming Wednesday (20th) and like RobH23 (above) plan to start on 1st April from Almeria. Spending several days in both Granada and Almeria beforehand.

I will read your blog with interest. Thanks for the link. I’ll be paying close attention to where you carried extra food and water.

I’m hoping there’ll still be some spring flowers in April but not too hot later in the month.

I’ve allowed a fair few buffer days so that no day need be longer than 27km (which comes early on).

Really looking forward to the Islamic architecture, and the Roman stuff in Merida which is magnificent.

As I’ve already walked from Seville to Santiago, I’ll be stopping in Merida.

It might feel a bit odd to end other than in Santiago, but I have planned some soothing days travel afterwards (Carceres, Salamanca and Madrid).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, good to check out different perspectives. You can also request access to AndrewG's Find Penguins blog for more detail on the CM, including attention to the sites along the way. You can also check out Damien Reynold's summary of the CM in the Forum, which is somewhat different than ours. Damien appears to be much more fit and a faster walker than we are!

I have not tried Instagram and am curious about its ease of use. The nice thing about Find Penguins is that, once you end your trip, you can have an e-book of your postings created for free (if you want to order a hard copy, that will cost you) and download it onto your computer so that you don't have to worry about it disappearing. I don't know Find Penguins sufficiently to know the downside to it, but there surely must be one.
From my understanding, you get a free e-book if you buy the hard copy (though I could be wrong).

Very helpful, thank you. I fly to Madrid this coming Wednesday (20th) and like RobH23 (above) plan to start on 1st April from Almeria. Spending several days in both Granada and Almeria beforehand.

I will read your blog with interest. Thanks for the link. I’ll be paying close attention to where you carried extra food and water.

I’m hoping there’ll still be some spring flowers in April but not too hot later in the month.

I’ve allowed a fair few buffer days so that no day need be longer than 27km (which comes early on).

Really looking forward to the Islamic architecture, and the Roman stuff in Merida which is magnificent.

As I’ve already walked from Seville to Santiago, I’ll be stopping in Merida.

It might feel a bit odd to end other than in Santiago, but I have planned some soothing days travel afterwards (Carceres, Salamanca and Madrid
I am doing the exact same plan but starting a few days behind you! I aim to start on the 10th or 11th of April and will go to Merida as like you, I've done Seville to Santiago already. I'm hoping to be able to do similar distances as on the via del plata but think I shall need to plan this one a little. I'd like to do 30-35kms most days. In the past on previous caminos I have had a lot of negative comments about rushing, but I find I naturally cover and enjoy walking 30-50km per day. This route I have allowed enough days doing the 30-35 mark incase I find it tougher or want longer stop overs in certain towns.
On the via del plata I would walk until I wanted to stop and only once found I was without a bed which was another 12kms to the next town so I know if needs be I am capable of continuing to the next town.
It would be useful to know for comparison how the two routes fair in terms of scenery, difficulty and availability of resources if anyone else reading this have completed both. I recall a few days on the via del plata where there was long stints required or little water opportunities.
Thanks in advance.

I am doing the exact same plan but starting a few days behind you! I aim to start on the 10th or 11th of April and will go to Merida as like you, I've done Seville to Santiago already. I'm hoping to be able to do similar distances as on the via del plata but think I shall need to plan this one a little. I'd like to do 30-35kms most days. In the past on previous caminos I have had a lot of negative comments about rushing, but I find I naturally cover and enjoy walking 30-50km per day. This route I have allowed enough days doing the 30-35 mark incase I find it tougher or want longer stop overs in certain towns.
On the via del plata I would walk until I wanted to stop and only once found I was without a bed which was another 12kms to the next town so I know if needs be I am capable of continuing to the next town.
It would be useful to know for comparison how the two routes fair in terms of scenery, difficulty and availability of resources if anyone else reading this have completed both. I recall a few days on the via del plata where there was long stints required or little water opportunities.
Thanks in advance.
How has your first week been?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back