• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Olive rustling on the Mozarabe

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
One of the features of the Camino Mozarabe are the apparently endless olive groves. Which some people find pretty boring. Just came across a small news item about the theft of 8 tonnes of olives from plantations along the way. A handy reminder that there can be interesting background stories in what seem the most unlikely of settings!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh, thanks for this @Bradypus. In case people are wondering about who would steal olives, the drought has slashed olive oil production in Spain for the last two years. The price of olive oil in Spain increased by 70% in 2022. One additional concerning fact reported in that article is that according to the UN, temperatures in the Mediterranean area are rising 20% faster than in the rest of the world.

apparently endless olive groves. Which some people find pretty boring.
And how in the world can anyone find walking through olive groves boring? :p I love those stretches. On the Mozárabe the setting is frequently spectacular - groves on rolling hills with mountains in the background. It’s a great opportunitiy to sing loudly and off key, and one of my favorites on those days is Andaluces de Jaén, sung by Paco Ibañez and based on a poem by Miguel Hernández, which praises the hard and low paid work of the workers.

We saw a few olive groves on the Via Francigena in Italy in October 2022, and saw both green and black olive trees. They didn't seem boring as it was a new experience to walk among them. I was surprised when every olive we sampled were always extremely hard and awful tasting😝, yet the time of year seemed as though they should be ripe.
@Bradypus happened to see my "Live on the Camino" thread and told me they must be soaked in brine and marinated to become soft and edible. I often learn new things on the forum and this information was an interesting fact.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
One of the features of the Camino Mozarabe are the apparently endless olive groves. Which some people find pretty boring. Just came across a small news item about the theft of 8 tonnes of olives from plantations along the way. A handy reminder that there can be interesting background stories in what seem the most unlikely of settings!
Not boring at all, at least not in the short term, I only spent a few days among them, a welcome change from Northen Spain in winter!

But I did wonder about just that.. theft, when I spent those days wandering through and getting lost amongst the many lonely and isolated paths through the olive groves in early November just gone, all of it very accessible..

We saw a few olive groves on the Via Francigena in Italy in October 2022, and saw both green and black olive trees. They didn't seem boring as it was a new experience to walk among them. I was surprised when every olive we sampled were always extremely hard and awful tasting😝, yet the time of year seemed as though they should be ripe.
You just can't eat fresh olives..yes, even plump, glossy ones, ripe as they come, are utterly unpalatable until they've been cured.. I wrote about my own efforts with them on here just recently, with those same mozerabe olives.

@Bradypus happened to see my "Live on the Camino" thread and told me they must be soaked in brine and marinated to become soft and edible. I often learn new things on the forum and this information was an interesting fact.
Green olives are unripe black olives.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Fresh / raw olives CANNOT be eaten as is. They must be processed first to leach out the tannins that make them so awful tasting when raw.

So, individual picking - poaching make absolutely no sense as the olives are quite inedible when picked. However, large scale theft of "tons" of olives makes more sense - at least from a process standpoint. Either way, whether a handful or a truckload, it is still theft.

The thieves cannot use or sell the olives without a processing plant, to press the oil or to process and can or bottle the olives. These are usually factory-sized buildings. Surely, someone will notice something and report it - at least I hope so.

I hope the culprits are eventually apprehended.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are many kinds of olives. Just as green apples ( Granny Smith for example) are not unripe red apples, so there can be green olives that are ripe for picking. No olives that I know of can be eaten right off the tree.
Odysea, a well known olive oil producer says:

What’s the difference between green and black olives?

The colour! That’s about it. Green and black olives are the same fruit; black olives are simply left on the tree to mature for longer and change to a darker purple-black colour.

After processing, green olives can, of course, be eaten

Odysea, a well known olive oil producer says:

What’s the difference between green and black olives?

The colour! That’s about it. Green and black olives are the same fruit; black olives are simply left on the tree to mature for longer and change to a darker purple-black colour.

After processing, green olives can, of course, be eaten
Interesting, because when I buy green olives in a jar, they taste completely different than black olives that I buy in a can. Also interestingly, I never notice seeing the black ones in jars. They must be marinated/processed with completely different ingredients to taste os different than green. All olives come in both small and large sizes; the large ones are always more expensive.
Edit- The most expensive largest green ones in my area are often filled with either garlic or blue cheese.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
While walking the Via Francigena Sud last fall my wife and I heard of the Italian olive growers in the Puglia region using GPS olives. From the article below I see that it is also being used in Spain.

Oh, thanks for this @Bradypus. In case people are wondering about who would steal olives, the drought has slashed olive oil production in Spain for the last two years. The price of olive oil in Spain increased by 70% in 2022. One additional concerning fact reported in that article is that according to the UN, temperatures in the Mediterranean area are rising 20% faster than in the rest of the world.

And how in the world can anyone find walking through olive groves boring? :p I love those stretches. On the Mozárabe the setting is frequently spectacular - groves on rolling hills with mountains in the background. It’s a great opportunitiy to sing loudly and off key, and one of my favorites on those days is Andaluces de Jaén, sung by Paco Ibañez and based on a poem by Miguel Hernández, which praises the hard and low paid work of the workers.
Ha, thank you , that’s wonderful, oh that my Spanish were up to it. I hadn’t realised that the Mediterranean countries are so disproportionately affected - ooofff.

Interesting, because when I buy green olives in a jar, they taste completely different than black olives that I buy in a can. Also interestingly, I never notice seeing the black ones in jars. They must be marinated/processed with completely different ingredients to taste os different than green. All olives come in both small and large sizes; the large ones are always more expensive.
Edit- The most expensive largest green ones in my area are often filled with either garlic or blue cheese.
We get black ones in jars as well. But the best ones are the ones you buy by weight, and come in flavored olive oil. Yum.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We are on the Camino Mozárabe,now in Cartaojal, and were wondering why some of the olive groves are protected by expensive chain length fence. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
olives..ugh..olive oil and balsamic vinegar yum!
A study in dichotomy..or irony?

My daughter and I are on the Camino Mozárabe de Málaga. Here many of the olive trees are on slopes so steep it is difficult to imagine machine harvesting. Here we see trees that have dropped their ripe olives. The ground beneath is purple. Two days ago we came upon a human harvesting crew. A woman with a huge backpack leaf blower was herding the olives together and blowing away leaves and small rocks. Two men with metal leave rakes were raking the olives into small metal mesh baskets. They then shook the baskets and emptied them into the front end loader of a tractor carefully negotiating the STEEP hillside. TOUGH WORK! Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A woman with a huge backpack leaf blower was herding the olives together and blowing away leaves and small rocks.
On the Via Francigena in Italy I saw hazelnuts being harvested. Leaf blowers used to move them into long narrow lines then they were collected using a small version of a road sweeping machine with a large hopper attached.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back