• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

busses on the Mozarabe

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
I am hoping to walk the Mozarabe in spring....BUT....I have bilateral tendinopathy which is responding only slowly and I am starting to get concerned that I will not be able to do the distances I am accustomed to. If I find I can not manage consecutive 20km+ days, which of these sections would be the ones to make sure I walk (or which would be not missing too much to bus)?
Moclín-Alcalá la Real
Alcalá la Real-Alcaudete
Alcaudete-Baena
Baena-Castro del Río

It is very annoying to be asking this, but I would rather have a reasonable back-up plan than abandon this route completely for now (of course, it may be most sensible to head to the Frances but I won't make that call until closer to April - as of this week, I am doing 2km a day!!)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am hoping to walk the Mozarabe in spring....BUT....I have bilateral tendinopathy which is responding only slowly and I am starting to get concerned that I will not be able to do the distances I am accustomed to. If I find I can not manage consecutive 20km+ days, which of these sections would be the ones to make sure I walk (or which would be not missing too much to bus)?
Moclín-Alcalá la Real
Alcalá la Real-Alcaudete
Alcaudete-Baena
Baena-Castro del Río

It is very annoying to be asking this, but I would rather have a reasonable back-up plan than abandon this route completely for now (of course, it may be most sensible to head to the Frances but I won't make that call until closer to April - as of this week, I am doing 2km a day!!)
I'm planning on the same but a little earlier, mid feb to mid march, and will also check out the buses, just in case. Buen camino, when you get there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I looked at my photo album (without going to the many more photos from my camera) and recall good and less good features of all of those stages. I can rarely remember enough about any day to make a useful recommendation. The main thing I do remember is lots of olive trees!

Maybe the better question is to ask which of those stages has better transportation options if you need them.

For those who are thinking about an early Mozarabe: I walked it from Almeria in April one year. The first days are along a very rocky, dry riverbed: Hard days, both for feet and mind. Then, you'll climb up to the foot of the mountains of Sierra Nevada, the skiing eldorado for Spaniards, at some 3.500m. You will be walking at the foot of those, ca. 2.500m. +. In April I experienced heavy icy winds there, and had to abort due to heavy pneumonia. It is also a very lonely walk. While some will welcome that, I personally felt it too lonely, and not comfortable in case of accidents/illness.

Just my 0.02 €s on this Camino.

If you have transportation issues, my advice would be to walk in a good climate with lots of stopping/transportation options, aka CF, in warmer seasons.

For those who are thinking about an early Mozarabe: I walked it from Almeria in April one year. The first days are along a very rocky, dry riverbed: Hard days, both for feet and mind. Then, you'll climb up to the foot of the mountains of Sierra Nevada, the skiing eldorado for Spaniards, at some 3.500m. you will walk at ca. 2.500m. +. In April I experienced heavy icy winds there, and had to abort due to heavy pneumonia. It is also a very lonely walk. While some will welcome that, I personally felt it too lonely, and not comfortable in case of accidents/illness.

Just my 0.02 €s on this Camino.

If you have transportation issues, my advice would be to walk in a good climate with lots of stopping/transportation options. aka CF in warmer season.
So I'm starting Mid January and this kinda freaks me out... was worried about the sierra... can I avoid the sierra if I don't start in almeira? Will I avoid the worst if I start in Malaga instead? Maybe start in Cordoba?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Kiwi family, I walked the Mozárabe in March-April this year. It's pretty isolated and there were sections where I took a (very expensive) taxi on account of the distance, eg 32 or 35kms without facilities.

Alex Walker is right about streambed walking. It's not hilly, but it's not comfortable walking. You can walk where the cars drive on the riverbeds, but that's only half a solution. Sometimes there is a road alternative.

The Sierra Nevada foothills heading towards Granada are steep in part, but doable. If you can manage NZ tracks, you should be fine. If you can cut your daily kms, that would assist. Jerry Stroebele, also on this forum, had a programme of short days. Maybe he would share his itinerary as far as Granada.

There is only one section I would identify as being absolutely cr*p and that is the second day out of Granada, Pinos Puente-Moclin. The first 11km are glorious, absolutely gorgeous walking, but after a lunch-stop in Olivares, the last 3.3kms are dreadful. I think they are the worst kms I've ever walked, very rough and very steep. Walk on the road, it has to be easier.

PM me if you want. I live in AKL.

Bernice

I walked the Mozarabes this year March to April. There are long stages, if you are following a guidebook. Some walkers got tired and hot and just called for a taxi when they got to a main road.

However it's doable in smaller stages, but I imagine that you might have to figure out a complex set of transport arrangements to provide a workaround. Does that seem practicable?

Thanks for all that feedback. I should have been clearer - I have already worked out bus options on those stages I mentioned. What I am particularly interested in is if any of them are particularly interesting/spectacular/breathtaking and should be walked if at all possible. I seem to recall discussion about serious beauty on some of those days but I can't find it now. @jungleboy had a good account I think.
OTOH I'm happy to just do what needs to be done coz I don't want to be That Pilgrim who picks and chooses the best parts!!!!
And thanks to those who remind it's solitary - that's exactly what I'm looking for! I really hope there is not One Other Pilgrim walking the same stages as me, so that I have to be sociable each evening. I want to see if I love a solitary life as much as I imagine I do and this is one of the best ways I can think of trying it. I'm also hoping to stay at Sobrado monastery for a week at the end if I have time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Moclín-Alcalá la Real
Alcalá la Real-Alcaudete
Alcaudete-Baena
Baena-Castro del Río
Thanks for all that feedback. I should have been clearer - I have already worked out bus options on those stages I mentioned. What I am particularly interested in is if any of them are particularly interesting/spectacular/breathtaking and should be walked if at all possible. I seem to recall discussion about serious beauty on some of those days but I can't find it now. @jungleboy had a good account I think.
I'm glad you clarified your request, as I was about to give you our stages. My wife and I are known as the distance challenged slow walkers, and I have always had to have a plan B for any stage, in case my wife could not walk the distance.
We walked last year from Almeria to Castro del Rio, and we walked again this year, starting from Almeria on 26 April 2023. We're returning to the Mozarabe in 2024, walking only from Almeria to Granada, but spending two weeks in Abla as hospitaleros from 14 to 28 April 2024.
As for the stages you mentioned, I wouldn't worry if you skipped them. There's a bit of road walking on all of these, nothing breathtaking.
For the purpose of relating our walk to other members of this forum, I shared our walk on FindPenguins. Here's the link if you're interested: https://findpenguins.com/5vacnkpie3...SC&s=2e8762ffcb0a4ddab1c1545b320c7338fde812de
You can skip the bits where we went down to Malaga and walked back to Baena.
If you have any queries about any of the stages, please ask. There are parts of stages that I would highly recommend you skip, the main one being from Granada to Pinos Puente. Bus 325 from Granada will take you to Pinos Puente.
I am sure you are aware of the guide published by the Asociacion Jacobea de Almeria-Granada. It was invaluable in helping me work out the plan B for each stage. There's taxi driver numbers, and the ones we used were not overly expensive, as they know we are pilgrims.
Buen Camino!
Merry Christmas!

I have sadly given up my planned Mozarabe from Almeria to Granada in April. I realised that the main joy I get from my many Caminos are the people I meet in the evenings. I think I will go back once again to Seville and the VDLP for the fourth time. I do love the walking and how my spirit soars but now that I'm 76,
don't think I should walk an isolated path like the Mozarabe.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have sadly given up my planned Mozarabe from Almeria to Granada in April. I realised that the main joy I get from my many Caminos are the people I meet in the evenings. I think I will go back once again to Seville and the VDLP for the fourth time. I do love the walking and how my spirit soars but now that I'm 76,
don't think I should walk an isolated path like the Mozarabe.
March, April and May are the "busy" months for the Camino Mozárabe.
These are the departure numbers from Almería in 2023:
March 114
April 192
May 80
We started this year on 26 April 2023, and we were in a bubble of pilgrims for the first few days. The albergues in Santa Fe de Mondujar, in Alboloduy and in Abla were all full. In fact, there were so many pilgrims in Alboloduy, that Nely asked a few to stop at Santa Cruz de Marchena.
Yes it's an isolated path, but in the evenings in April, you might not be alone.
We would love to welcome you in Abla when we're there as hospitaleros in April 🤗
Whatever you decide, ¡Buen Camino!
And Merry Christmas!

March 114
April 192
May 80
We started this year on 26 April 2023, and we were in a bubble of pilgrims for the first few days. The albergues in Santa Fe de Mondujar, in Alboloduy and in Abla were all full. In fact, there were so many pilgrims in Alboloduy, that Nely asked a few to stop at Santa Cruz de Marchena.
Yes it's an isolated path, but in the evenings in April, you might not be alone.
We would love to welcome you in Abla when we're there as hospitaleros in April 🤗
And Merry Christmas!
192 in April? That's 6.4 every day. It might not be solitary after all. Mind you, if there are three or four others, they can talk together and I can be the quiet one;-) My revised-for-tendon-rehab plan suggests I will be in Abla on April 15 - really hope to meet you. I've already read every word you have written on your slow stages - at first I read it just for interest's sake because I was planning Mozarabe-Via de la Plata - Astorga to Ponferrada - Invierno - to Muxia.....then I went back and gleaned Important Information for my new Status as a Short Day Walker. Thank you. (Now I am only hoping to cover the Mozárabe and Invierno in the same time) Will be great to meet you in person.

Last edited:
The first stages could be avoided. But they settle you into the walk. And it seems a bit churlish to avoid donations to the albergues in these stages.

From Guadix to Granada it's more scenic as you have the Sierra insight. As that becomes distant it's really just farmland with a few surprising scenes along the way.

Fountains are few and far between beyond Granada. Some sections are long and you need food and water.

Some of the albergues had either closed or become block bookings. So I bivvy camped on 4 occasions and found refugios via the local police another 4 times. This situation occurred mostly after Cordoba.

Most walkers will do the stages to Granada. Thinning out by Cordoba. After that it's mostly a solo walk.

The albergue in Merida is likely to be busy. But its a good place to meet new folk.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi @jungleboy! I'm going to step in here for a brief moment. Seeing your happy avatar reminds me of your recent move to Rome. I hope you are all settled in and adjusting well to your exciting new chapter.🤗

I wish! I haven’t walked the Mozárabe yet, but would love to. Buen camino!
That will be why I can’t find your posts!!! I must be confusing it with another route you raved about. Mind you, I might even have the wrong person too!!
I second @Camino Chrissy ’s wishes

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@duncanwhyte thanks for sharing your experience. Very helpful. I’m wondering where the four places were that the policía helped you out - were these not mentioned on Gronze or were you not using that?

I’m wondering where the four places were that the policía helped you out - were these not mentioned on Gronze or were you not using that?
One example might be Castuera, where you need to get the albergue keys from the police station, as mentioned by Gronze.

March 114
April 192
May 80
And Merry Christmas!
Thanks AJ
Think I have lost a bit of confidence in walking an unfamiliar Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Castuera sounds familiar.

I was using a guide by the Cofrat. StJames. It was limited in its options for accomodation, and I just chose to camp or check in at the police.

Hi @jungleboy! I'm going to step in here for a brief moment. Seeing your happy avatar reminds me of your recent move to Rome. I hope you are all settled in and adjusting well to your exciting new chapter.🤗
That will be why I can’t find your posts!!! I must be confusing it with another route you raved about. Mind you, I might even have the wrong person too!!
I second @Camino Chrissy ’s wishes
Thank you both for your wishes! (@Kiwi-family, it might have been the Vía Serrana.)

The Rome move is going well so far although we're still in transition, so it doesn't feel quite real just yet. We've found an apartment to buy in the historic centre that we love and the final deed will be at the end of next month, so that's when it will really sink in!

(And for those who use Instagram, I have started @romelegacy as a photography/language project!)

contact the Association in Almeria. contact info on www.caminomozarabesantiago.com they will email yout he pdf of the current booklet with everything you need in. taxis busses accomodation. you can then print it in booklet form.
We are setting out he second week of Jan from Almeria and have 10 weeks to Finistere, it's our third Camino. We were on the Via de la Plata when Covid struck, so are back for another attmpt.

Will I avoid the worst if I start in Malaga instead? Maybe start in Cordoba?
The worst of what?! My strong advice would be to start your first Mozárabe in Almería. The amigos will be your constant companions. They have an incredible albergue system. Any branch of the Mozárabe will be empty, but on the Almería branch you will have the support and frequent contact of the amigos. I know you really thrive on the personal interaction, @Damien Reynolds, but if you’re ready to take the plunge to a solitary camino, the Almería branch is the one to do.

Kiwi family, I walked the Mozárabe in March-April this year. It's pretty isolated and there were sections where I took a (very expensive) taxi on account of the distance, eg 32 or 35kms without facilities.

Alex Walker is right about streambed walking. It's not hilly, but it's not comfortable walking. You can walk where the cars drive on the riverbeds, but that's only half a solution. Sometimes there is a road alternative.

The Sierra Nevada foothills heading towards Granada are steep in part, but doable. If you can manage NZ tracks, you should be fine. If you can cut your daily kms, that would assist. Jerry Stroebele, also on this forum, had a programme of short days. Maybe he would share his itinerary as far as Granada.

There is only one section I would identify as being absolutely cr*p and that is the second day out of Granada, Pinos Puente-Moclin. The first 11km are glorious, absolutely gorgeous walking, but after a lunch-stop in Olivares, the last 3.3kms are dreadful. I think they are the worst kms I've ever walked, very rough and very steep. Walk on the road, it has to be easier.

PM me if you want. I live in AKL.

Bernice
Walked that stretch in April 23, hard (steep) but some of the best views if the walk, not to be missed!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Haven't met more than 2 people at a time between Alcaudete and Córdoba... The laguna was magnificent though

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back