A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Boots or shoes on the primitivo

Camino Badges

Wandalina

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese in September 18
Hi lovely forum members I'm planning the primitivo for September and I'm wondering about footwear. I did Porto to Santiago last year in my Meindel trekking shoes but anticipate the terrain is rougher on the primitivo. I'm generally quite steady on my feet but I'm well aware a twisted ankle can happen anywhere. Any advice would be as always much appreciated....You lads have always helped me so much in the past 😀

Mr Magoo

Camino(s) past & future
Pilegrimsleden ( 2016).
Camino Primitivo ( 2017).
I did the Primitivo in September a couple of years ago. I wore light mid high boots (Keen), which were comfortable. However hiking shoes, preferably NOT waterproof/breathable lined would have been more comfortable on the hot days, and I noticed most people had these, or running shoes. You can always take waterproof/breathable socks (e.g. Sealskinz) if worried about the wet. I'm used to mountain hiking in Norway so thought the hilly bit in Asturias wasnt difficult underfoot.The path once you get into Galicia ,whenever youre not on roads, is newly surfaced with stone chippings, so like walking in a park. Whatever footwear I choose for a hike, I will walk in for 50 miles in the weeks beforehand, like most people advise.

Miss Diesel

Camino(s) past & future
Northern Camino 2017
Hi lovely forum members I'm planning the primitivo for September and I'm wondering about footwear. I did Porto to Santiago last year in my Meindel trekking shoes but anticipate the terrain is rougher on the primitivo. I'm generally quite steady on my feet but I'm well aware a twisted ankle can happen anywhere. Any advice would be as always much appreciated....You lads have always helped me so much in the past 😀
Just did from Oviedo to Lugo. I wore walking shoes but light weight boots may be better as can be quite muddy. Also you need to be used to walking on hills and mountains as this is a hill walkers Csmino

Felice

Camino(s) past & future
SJPP to Santiago Sept 2014
I walked the Primitivo in running shoes, in May. It had been really wet the week before, had already dried out mainly when I started. My shoes were absolutely perfect. There was one short very muddy stretch, which the guidebook mentioned. Lots of people were walking along the road which ran parallel about 300m apart. Glad I didn't as the mud was manageable and the tree lined track was beautiful. Most of the route is on quality paths - senda throughout Galicia, natural in Asturias.

And yes, it is hilly! By about the 3rd or 4th day, I found myself muttering 'give us this day our daily hill' as I toiled upwards. Fortunately, I generally stayed in the valley between hills, so I climbed the hill freshly rested rather than towards the end of the day.

The worst part of the route is the slog into Lugo, especially on a hot afternoon.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
We wore lightweight low cut leather boots on the Primitivo, they come to just above the ankle bone. Interestingly last week in the UK, when it was very hot, my feet were cooler in my boots than in my walking shoes (mixed suede and man made fibres).
The boots are easy to keep laced tight enough to avoid toes bumping forward in the toe box when going downhill, something I cannot do with the shoes

jennysa

Camino(s) past & future
Camino F 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 C Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016 & 17 Primitivo 2018
The first time I walked the Primitivo, I wore New Balance trainers that were very comfortable but the mud was quite horrific. This time in May there was very little mud. My friend wore Addidas trainers the whole way and thought that they were wonderful . I had Addidas gortex trail shoes which gave me blisters so I abandoned them and walked the rest of the way in my Keen sandals. Due to time constraints, we took the bus from Castro Verde to Lugo so we could have one full day in Lugo otherwise we would have arrived in the afternoon.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 3.9%
  • April

Votes: 158 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 259 25.0%