• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Border Declarations: have you visited a farm?

A

Anemone del Camino

So, here is something I have been wondering about. Who here actually tells customs upon returning home that they have "visited a farm" (I believe that is the lingo on the Canadian form and it may be similar elsewhere) when returning from the Camino? Heaven knows we often walk through farms, often adorned with cow droppings. Would that be qualified as "visiting a farm"? Apparently if you say you have all that is required is that you give your shoes a thorough cleaning on site. I would love to hear what people do and have experienced.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wrote that I had.

My boots were in a plastic bag inside my knapsack and they told me to wish them thoroughly (in the tub preferably, not on the lawn) before wearing them outside.

Oh, Canada here.

Buen Camino

Cheryl

I haven't been on camino yet but I said yes after an Ireland trip and also after the Balkans (both trips saw sheep and other livestock at places we stayed). It gets you a free shoe cleaning and/or advancement to the shorter agricultural inspection line in the US.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Farm? What would I be doing on a farm? (I try not to lie)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Returning to NZ, we were wearing our walking shoes and having confessed, simply had to step on a mat doused in disinfectant and wriggle round a bit. My only complaint was that I had holes in the soles of my shoes so ended up with wet socks!

In Canada, it's only an issue if you're returning to a farm. That's the language: did you visit a farm and will you be returning to a farm.

I worried about this too until I saw the form.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If in doubt, say yes. That queue is usually shorter and faster. Just don't pack footwear at the bottom of your pack!

When I travel overseas (because everywhere else from Australia is overseas) I almost invariably walk in rural areas, and declare that. I don't know that the queues are any shorter, but I have learnt to be well prepared. That includes cleaning all my footwear, and the tips of walking poles. I have endured the embarrassment of having my shoes cleaned when I have not done a good enough job of this myself, and don't need that again. Recently, the quarantine inspectors have just checked the soles of my boots I was wearing, and confirmed that I have cleaned my other gear but not required it to be taken our of my baggage. I still intend to pack footwear and my poles so that they are reasonably easy to get at if required.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Much of my government career was working for the US border agencies. From this, I learned that the questions concerning your having been on a farm or caring for farm animals are related to acquiring and transmitting diseases that could potentially affect the agricultural industry in your home country.

At US borders, the officials would rinse the bottom of your hiking boots with a fungicidal and anti-microbial solution. But as others have pointed out, this consumes time, especially when you are tired and just want to get home.

My personal advice after three Caminos, and nearly 30-years professional experience, is to do these things:
  1. Obtain a small, stiff plastic brush, the size used to scrub garden vegetables over a kitchen sink. I found mine for one euro in a China Bazaar in Santiago de Compostela. In your last accommodations before flying home, scrub and rinse the bottom and sides of the boots with soap and warm water. In all likelihood, you will not have caked on dirt or animal manure on your boots anyway. But the washing will certainly make the boots look like you just used them to run errands about town.
  2. Wear the boots on the plane home so they are readily viewable. Optionally, obtain a plastic bag from a supermarket in Santiago, large enough to hold one or both your boots. PACK THE BOOTS AT THE TOP of your carry-on or checked baggage. This way, it is easily accessible if you choose to tell the authorities that YES, you have been on a farm. Technically, and in my direct experience, you have not been ON a farm. You merely walked through it. At no time did you intentionally look for manure to stomp through...seriously?!
  3. When asked the question, either on paper or in-person, and having already washed your boots, simply and truthfully, answer NO to the questions regarding having been on a farm or caring for farm animals. In this instance, you could still be referred for "secondary" processing, but nothing will be found because you followed my advice in #2 above and washed the boots.
After my first Camino, I answered yes, then verbally explained the exact activity I was engaged in, hiking through the farm village, but not intentionally stepping in anything unpleasant. The officer just smiled and said that was not what the question meant. I KNEW that, but wanted to be told that and passed on.

After my second Camino, I answered no, but cleaned and wore the boots on the plane home as mentioned above. There were no issues.

After my third Camino, I cleaned and packed the boots as described above, answered no, and had no repercussions.

I hope this helps.

@t2andreo I like your advice on preparation and cleaning, but think the line of argument about walking through a farm rather than being on it might be seen as sophistry here in Australia. I think the question on the arrival card here is whether one has visited a farm. Given the nature of some Spanish villages, it is my view that just walking through them would count as visiting a farm.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@t2andreo I like your advice on preparation and cleaning, but think the line of argument about walking through a farm rather than being on it might be seen as sophistry here in Australia. I think the question on the arrival card here is whether one has visited a farm. Given the nature of some Spanish villages, it is my view that just walking through them would count as visiting a farm.

I agree.

So, here is something I have been wondering about. Who here actually tells customs upon returning home that they have "visited a farm" (I believe that is the lingo on the Canadian form and it may be similar elsewhere) when returning from the Camino? Heaven knows we often walk through farms, often adorned with cow droppings. Would that be qualified as "visiting a farm"? Apparently if you say you have all that is required is that you give your shoes a thorough cleaning on site. I would love to hear what people do and have experienced.
Susanawee here from Western Australia....Yes, I declared that I'd been in farming areas when I returned to Australia....The customs officers just looked at my boots (which I had cleaned as best I could) and waved me through.

Susanawee here from Western Australia....Yes, I declared that I'd been in farming areas when I returned to Australia....The customs officers just looked at my boots (which I had cleaned as best I could) and waved me through.
The farmers of WA might not have known about your diligence, but I am sure they appreciate not having foreign nasties brought into the state.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had this question on returning to Canada after my Bilbao to Santiago by the del Norte and Primitivo trek, and answered yes. The officer asked me if I had been through more than one farm and I told him about 700 or 800. Their concern is cow dung on your boots and that is as likely to be found on the streets and trails of Galicia as on a farm. However, they had a good look at my boots and felt that they looked clean, but to make certain they suggested I give the soles a bleach rinse before I went on to a Canadian farm. I always give the customs and agriculture people (are they the Border Services Agency now?? I can't keep track) the information they ask for as, while it's unlikely that I would be bringing anything damaging in, it's their job to make sure of that.

I respect the laws of all countries I visit. Were I to come to Australia directly from a Camino, I very well might choose to err on the side of being overly-scrupulous and present the bag with the boots to the Customs or Agricultural protection officer. My answer was slanted towards what I know personally for North America.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The last thing I do before heading to the airport for the trip home is to clean my boots and poles with my toothbrush (said toothbrush is then thrown away!). The boots make the journey either on my feet or in a plastic bag at the top of my pack. I always declare and present them and the poles for inspection.

On one occasion, the boots were disinfected. I've been waved through every other time. The time delay is measured in minutes rather than hours and it wouldn't matter anyway. I don't want to be responsible for bringing disease into the country.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back