Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Borres - is this albergue really that bad?

Anna Sar

Time of past OR future Camino
Spain, Portugal, France, Italy
Dear Fellow Pilgrims,

Please advise as there is so many different opinions regarding Borres v Herminia. We are going to start our Primitivo on Monday 8th June in Oviedo (yay :)). I have just healed my hip tendon injury (at least I hope so) so I'd rather not challenge myself more than required. Yet I want to go for Hospitales route. Staying at Borres makes a difference for the next day. On the other hand it's good to have a good rest and people report such a bad state of this albergue. But I have also read opposite opinions - i.e. it's only bad PR. I would be massively grateful for sharing your experience and/or what would be better choice. What to expect in both places. Is that near bar still open? Thank you.

Anna

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We chose Borres for the same reason you are considering it - and it was one of our BEST Camino decisions. We were very grateful to be able to stay and so maybe that affected our view (there were only 3 bunks and we were 5 people!) However, it was by no means the worst albergue we have stayed in. When you get there, have a look at the little space by the bathrooms - that's where my daughter slept on a folded over mattress. I had a spot half under one of the bunks in the main room - lovely pilgrims moved two bunks together to create a spot for me have my head out from under the bed. But that was far better than having to go elsewhere. The showers were cold, but there was water. There was a microwave. This was June 2014.
The lady in the bar did not want to charge us, but we paid anyway, and then she gave the kids big bars of chocolate when they wandered back down to the bar later! We had carried food, but those who ate at the bar came back satisfied and plenty stopped there in the morning for a bite to eat before attacking the hill.

In June last year I found Borres to be fine. Yes its a little battered and scruffy but then so was I. It was littered and dirty when I first arrived. I was looking for a broom when the local couple who try to keep it clean and tidy turned up. I wasn't and they weren't impressed by the state the place had been left in by the previous nights Pilgrims.

El Barron in the village will provide a warm welcome, pleasant food and opens at 7:00am for desayuno.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed in Campiello but that was because I knew Borres was going to be packed by the time I arrived. The people who stayed there said it was an ok albergue, now the bar is there it makes it a better choice. I had breakfast at Casa Hermimas but stopped at the cafe on the way through, very friendly and generous.

I am no expert on hip injuries but there is one spot after the joining back up of the routes on the hospitales where you have a section that goes steeply down hill, it stops being a path and you have to ease your way through the rocks. A poster (Anemone del Camino) gave a solution to breaking this day up on her current Live from the Camino posts. You might not want to do this but reading about it can help you with a plan B if it is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
as Mikevasey says, I knew I wanted to experience the Hospitsles, wheather permitting. I opted to walk 12 km or so to the Alto de la Mortera and call a taxi to take me off the mountain to Berducedo. I did not have cell coverage, hardly have it at all while others do apparently, but was able to borrow a phone. You may want to book your taxi the night before snd arrange for puck up 4 to 5 hours after you leave. It is windy up there, and you may get cold waiting for the taxi, somplan accordingly. Alto de la Mortera is the 1stbplace where the camini intersects with the road, you can also go further to Alto del Palo.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Another more expensive possibility is going down to Pola de Allande and next day taxi back to Borres to do Hospitales.
This alternative allows to visit Pola and do part of the other variant.
The descent from Puerto de Lavadoira to Pola is beautiful but rather steep and I don´t know the albergue in Pola because I stayed at Nueva Allandesa hotel (22-25 euros) .

Thank you all for the answers. I think that now we are more towards Borres having in mind possibilities to divert from Hospitales. Hopefully there will be beds available because if not than I don't know what to do. Go back? I am very excited as we are departing in two days. Can't really wait.
Buen Camino :)
Anna

Thank you all for the answers. I think that now we are more towards Borres having in mind possibilities to divert from Hospitales. Hopefully there will be beds available because if not than I don't know what to do. Go back? I am very excited as we are departing in two days. Can't really wait.
Buen Camino :)
Anna
I stayed there last year. Yes there was a bad odor from the men's bathroom, probably from the sewage. We ended using the ladies... otherwise typical municipal alberque, clean enough for a night rest.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dear Fellow Pilgrims,

Please advise as there is so many different opinions regarding Borres v Herminia. We are going to start our Primitivo on Monday 8th June in Oviedo (yay :)). I have just healed my hip tendon injury (at least I hope so) so I'd rather not challenge myself more than required. Yet I want to go for Hospitales route. Staying at Borres makes a difference for the next day. On the other hand it's good to have a good rest and people report such a bad state of this albergue. But I have also read opposite opinions - i.e. it's only bad PR. I would be massively grateful for sharing your experience and/or what would be better choice. What to expect in both places. Is that near bar still open? Thank you.

Anna
Borres is fine-basic and (note: I am not saying BUT) fine. We stayed there without regret-and there is now a bar in the hamlet that opens early and does sandwiches, even on a morning. We had our own food for the evening we stayed.

Borres is fine-basic and (note: I am not saying BUT) fine. We stayed there without regret-and there is now a bar in the hamlet that opens early and does sandwiches, even on a morning. We had our own food for the evening we stayed.
PS That was May/June 2014

I stayed at Borres just after Easter this year. A little shabby but more than adequate. There was hot water and hot showers. Also electric heaters (not needed) in the dorm. The village bar is small but does offer a limited choice of food in the evening. The bar owner/hospitalera is very welcoming and opens early in the morning to serve breakfast. She will also make very substantial bocadillos to carry for picnic lunches on the Hospitales route - recommended!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.