• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Breaking up my Camino - advice welcome!

backpackandbeans

Time of past OR future Camino
Heading to the Camino summer 2014!
Hi all,

I am heading out to complete the Camino Frances in the summer. I leave from England to Biarritz on July 5th and return on August 8th.

However, I have to go back in the middle for three days to be a bridesmaid at my best friend's wedding. As a result I am only left with 30 days, some of which will be spent travelling.

I have decided that I would like to head out at Easter to begin my trip and then there won't be as much pressure in the summer as I will have less distance to cover.

I've broken my questions down and if anyone can help with any of them it would be so much appreciated!

1) Easyjet only offer flights from London Gatwick to Biarritz from the summer and they are the only cheap airline heading there. I would prefer not to go from stansted but might have to. Is there another airport from which I can travel easily to SJPP?

2) I would like to walk for a week or just over as I have to get back for another wedding (I'm at that age where all my friends seem to be getting married! ) and wondered where I might make it to in a week to ten days and which airport would be easiest to fly back from?

3) when I come back in the summer, my flight is to Biarritz. Will I be able to get bus or something to pick up where I left off?

I know that this set up is far from ideal, but it's all I've got and am trying to make best of a bad situation rather than staying at home sulking that all my chums are getting hitched! I posted either on this forum or another, I can't remember, but was advised not to do it, which I think would be a real shame. So if you can help, I will be forever grateful!!

With so many thanks,

Claire x

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Claire
Although I haven't got the feedback you need regarding flights/stats etc. (you'll get replies for those q,s. ). I did want to applaud you for your 'never give up' outlook. Most people want to go back and do another Camino, as it is such a wonderful experience. You won't be waiting a whole year to do it!
If you can arrange you life/work times to manage a return, and afford the flights, it sounds wonderful.
Regarding 3, you can bus anywhere (if not maybe bus and taxi )

I hope you get some more exact info in reply. But good on you! Buen Camino

Well, you may call that "Four weddings and a pilgrimage" :)
As regards your 3th question: take a bus just outside Biarritz airport (see http://www.chronoplus.eu), and go to the nearer train station (I know Bayonne' s, but another possibility may be Biarritz'). See schedules at http://www.sncf.com/ Take a train to Burgos (by way of Hendaye/Irun), and from there, a bus to wherever you were.
Buen camino (and don´forget to post here your pic with the bridesmaid dress!)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you start in SJPP, the first "natural" stopping point is Pamplona. But that is only three or four days into the Camino. The next "natural" stopping point is Logrono. That is seven or eight days into the Camino. The next "natural" stopping point after that is Burgos. That is twelve or thirteen days into the Camino. I define "natural" stopping points as those cities with train and or bus stations along main lines. Thus making travel much easier. But in reality, you could stop short or just beyond a stopping point and take a taxi forward/backwards to either Pamplona, Logrono, or Burgos. Remember, two days short of, or beyond, a city like Burgos is only a 30 minute taxi ride. The next natural stopping point beyond Burgos is Fromista. After that is Leon. All of these towns can be accessed from Madrid by bus or train. Good luck with your planning.

Hi all,

I am heading out to complete the Camino Frances in the summer. I leave from England to Biarritz on July 5th and return on August 8th.

However, I have to go back in the middle for three days to be a bridesmaid at my best friend's wedding. As a result I am only left with 30 days, some of which will be spent travelling.

I have decided that I would like to head out at Easter to begin my trip and then there won't be as much pressure in the summer as I will have less distance to cover.

I've broken my questions down and if anyone can help with any of them it would be so much appreciated!

1) Easyjet only offer flights from London Gatwick to Biarritz from the summer and they are the only cheap airline heading there. I would prefer not to go from stansted but might have to. Is there another airport from which I can travel easily to SJPP?

2) I would like to walk for a week or just over as I have to get back for another wedding (I'm at that age where all my friends seem to be getting married! ) and wondered where I might make it to in a week to ten days and which airport would be easiest to fly back from?

3) when I come back in the summer, my flight is to Biarritz. Will I be able to get bus or something to pick up where I left off?

I know that this set up is far from ideal, but it's all I've got and am trying to make best of a bad situation rather than staying at home sulking that all my chums are getting hitched! I posted either on this forum or another, I can't remember, but was advised not to do it, which I think would be a real shame. So if you can help, I will be forever grateful!!

With so many thanks,

Claire x

If it were me, this is what would do:

2. Logrono, about 155km from SJPDP, is a logical stopping point. It was a population of 150,000 and an airport. I casually looked at flights, there don't seem to be any cheap options. However, Bilbao is a short bus/train ride away and there seem to be a number of flights daily to London (prices in 100-110 GBP range, with some cheaper if you are flexible about layovers and what day you fly back on.)

3. You can take a train from Biarritz to Logrono. Schedules aren't usually available more than 3 months ahead of time, but I looked at the first Saturday and Sunday in May. There were a couple of options on that date. There was a 17:46 train out of Biarritz that ended in Logrono at 4:00 the next morning (and had you spending 3.5 hours in the Burgos train station between 10:30 and 2:00 AM). A seemingly better option was to spend the night in Biarritz and take a train in the morning (8:49 AM) and getting to Logrono around 17:45 that day)

Anyway, www.bahn.de/en is a good site for checking train schedules (up to about 3 months ahead), so as your time gets closer you have a more detailed looked.

2. Logrono seems like a likely stopping point

Hi Claire. I think Logrono is the place to aim for. That should take about a week so might give you a bit of flexibility if you want to break up the first stage to Roncesvalles, for example, or generally just want to take it easy. You'll already have seen lots of different landscapes, have passed through the first of the 4 regions you will eventually cross, and end at one of Spain's great natural barriers - the River Ebro.

From Logrono just get a bus or train to Madrid and fly back from there. Depending on times and prices you may have to stay in Madrid the night before, so that's another reason not to be over-ambitious with your target Camino destination. Have a great time!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Claire,

I was also taken by surprise by the fact that Easyjet don't fly to Biarritz until July (I'm heading off on the CF before Easter). If you want to start from StJPdP, this might help - what I'm doing is fly BA from Gatwick to Bordeaux, catching the "jet bus" (i.e. a bus) to Bordeaux station and then the TGV down to Bayonne station where one can get the connection to StJPdP. Interestingly the BA flight was actually cheaper than Ryanair from Stansted when you take into account all the additional charges that get loaded onto the "cheap" flight.

Hi all,

With so many thanks,

Claire x

One idea would be to fly one way to Biarritz with Easy Jet or Ryanair (Standsted or Dublin), walk as far as you can and then take a train to Santiago from the various "natural stop points", fly to the UK, attend the wedding, fly back to Santiago, then train back to where you left off. Lourdes could be another place to fly into and from there make your way to SJPP.

Flying out of Barcelona could be another option with a great number of airlines to choose from. Ryanair fly out of Girona, which is further north than Barcelona.

Consider taking in or avoiding (depending on your values, views etc of the bull run in Pamplona http://www.bullrunpamplona.com/ which I think starts on July 6 to July 14.

Consider flying out the airports on Northern Spain - La Croina (Vuelling airlines), Santander (Ryanair). You can get busses from the "natural stops" to these airports but need to check the Spanish bus company ALSA to see what is possible. Be patient with their website as it is frustrating!!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hey guys

Thank you all so much for your responses so far. I didn't mention - I have already booked flights to and from London from Madrid, so. wherever I get to in the summer, I will need to travel to Madrid and back. I'm more bothered about Easter - making sure I can get to an airport after ten or so days and then carrying on when I get back in the summer!

This way I will also miss the Pamplona rush at the beginning of July.

I will keep reading your posts, thank you so so much!!

X

Madrid was a good choice. All the larger towns on the Camino have bus if not train connections to Madrid.
For your Easter trip I agree that Logrono is logical. It is on a major train line and links directly to Barcelona - you might find cheap flights that fit.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Logrono is doable within 10 days and from there you can get a bus to Barcelona, from where you can fly from a number of airports. Check to see what page Logrono appears in your guide. It appears on page 8 of my guide. Most pilgrims follow the guides so 10 days would give you a day or so of slack. I followed this approach once ie going home via Barcelona. You would probably want to stay in Barcelona for 1 night unless you leave Logrono very early and get to Barcelona. Check Hostal World for cheap hostals and hotels.

I would recommend that you take it easy to begin with from St Jean Pied De Porte, ideally walk to Orrison on Day 1; getting up early to watch your fellow pilgrims file past as you sit at the front of the Church in SJPP. One of the nicest things to do on the Camino is to watch the Camino World as seen by people on the side eg like the local farmers. Orrison is a 10 KM walk with a 500m climb so challenging but amazing walk. Book yourself into Orrison in advance http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/ (assuming it is open at that time and that the Napoleon Route is open to pilgrims (could be closed due to snow and bad weather). Buy food in SJPP as there are no shops until past Ronconvalles (there are restaurants in Ronconvalles and Orrison) On day 2 walk over the Pyrennes (ideally in a small group as it is a dangerous section of the Camion in terms of weather conditions. Bring some food so that you can have a picnic in the mountains before you head down to Ronconvalles. Most pilgrims rush to Ronconvalles and in the process do not get to savour the only bit of the Camino Francaise in France and the only truly mountainous bit until you get Galacia. It is also the place where people pick up injuries as this is the toughest stage and the pilgrim is at their most unfit stage ..... so take it easy, play it safe and savour like you would your favourite desert.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why catch a bus from Logrono to Barcelona? They are directly linked by train. 4 hours and 18 minutes by train, 5 hours 45 minutes by bus.

From Madrid, you can easily take a train/bus to places like:

Pamplona (check flights from Madrid, they might be cheap at times)
Logroño
Burgos
Frómista
Sahagún
León
Astorga
Ponferrada
Sarria

There will be several services a day.

Why catch a bus from Logrono to Barcelona? They are directly linked by train. 4 hours and 18 minutes by train, 5 hours 45 minutes by bus.

True Train would be faster and trains in Spain are not very expensive when compared to the UK. Sometimes it is possible to get an overnight bus thus allowing you to spend more time on the Camino and less time in transit. Lots of options and ideas.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A1. Barcelona-- bus/train to Pamplona-- bus to SJPDP.
A2. Start at SJPDP and get to Logroño. Easy bus ride to Madrid (directly to Barajas Terminal 4 drop off) or Barcelona.
A3. I think planning this Camino is a GREAT idea! If you are willing to put in the time for good planning GO FOR IT!! Buen Camino!!

San Fermines in Pamplona is from July 6 through 14, so departing for Biarritz on July 5 will get you to Pamplona right in the middle. The largest albergue in Pamplona closes for the festival, so pilgrim accommodations are quite difficult. As a result, the albergues in Cizur Menor fill quickly, so there is a bit of a dead zone for beds around the city. Starting July 5, hotel rates go up by a factor of five to ten. You can book a room now for July 7 for as low as 50E, but most hotel rooms are 200E or more even at this early day.

The Camino route is blocked during San Fermines until about 9 a.m., then it is simply very crowded with celebrants. Unless you are visiting Pamplona for San Fermines, it is a difficult city to be in during the festival.

San Fermines in Pamplona is from July 6 through 14, so departing for Biarritz on July 5 will get you to Pamplona right in the middle. The largest albergue in Pamplona closes for the festival, so pilgrim accommodations are quite difficult. As a result, the albergues in Cizur Menor fill quickly, so there is a bit of a dead zone for beds around the city. Starting July 5, hotel rates go up by a factor of five to ten. You can book a room now for July 7 for as low as 50E, but most hotel rooms are 200E or more even at this early day.

The Camino route is blocked during San Fermines until about 9 a.m., then it is simply very crowded with celebrants. Unless you are visiting Pamplona for San Fermines, it is a difficult city to be in during the festival.

It would be interesting to run with the bulls carrying a rucksack on your back !!! Are there any camp sites around Pamplona?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A1. Barcelona-- bus/train to Pamplona-- bus to SJPDP.
A2. Start at SJPDP and get to Logroño. Easy bus ride to Madrid (directly to Barajas Terminal 4 drop off) or Barcelona.
A3. I think planning this Camino is a GREAT idea! If you are willing to put in the time for good planning GO FOR IT!! Buen Camino!!

The bus to SJPP is seasonal so beware

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The bus to SJPP is seasonal so beware
CISSA69-- the poster had already stated she will be heading out in the Summer so that was already considered into the answer. That said, good point for those doing research who may be going during the Fall/winter/Spring.

Claire,
Did I miss it, or has no one mentioned Bilbao airport? It's a handy-enough bus ride of about 90min from Logrono to Bilbao for flights to London Heathrow (I think) and Stansted (probably Easyjet). That might do if you 'aim' for Logrono during your springtime Camino-section.
Buen Camino(s) and many happy returns!

Hey all!! Thank you so so much for all of your help. Ok so I'm now looking at flights. I'm trying to email out which airport is cheapest and quickest to get toato and from. Trying to include all bus travel as well!! Ill be back!! X

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi there,

How do you know if Napoleon route is going to be closed? Is this where I will be walking? I've done so much research but I'm not sure about where exactly this is? Is there an alternative for me if the Napoleon is closed?! x

Logrono is doable within 10 days and from there you can get a bus to Barcelona, from where you can fly from a number of airports. Check to see what page Logrono appears in your guide. It appears on page 8 of my guide. Most pilgrims follow the guides so 10 days would give you a day or so of slack. I followed this approach once ie going home via Barcelona. You would probably want to stay in Barcelona for 1 night unless you leave Logrono very early and get to Barcelona. Check Hostal World for cheap hostals and hotels.

I would recommend that you take it easy to begin with from St Jean Pied De Porte, ideally walk to Orrison on Day 1; getting up early to watch your fellow pilgrims file past as you sit at the front of the Church in SJPP. One of the nicest things to do on the Camino is to watch the Camino World as seen by people on the side eg like the local farmers. Orrison is a 10 KM walk with a 500m climb so challenging but amazing walk. Book yourself into Orrison in advance http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/ (assuming it is open at that time and that the Napoleon Route is open to pilgrims (could be closed due to snow and bad weather). Buy food in SJPP as there are no shops until past Ronconvalles (there are restaurants in Ronconvalles and Orrison) On day 2 walk over the Pyrennes (ideally in a small group as it is a dangerous section of the Camion in terms of weather conditions. Bring some food so that you can have a picnic in the mountains before you head down to Ronconvalles. Most pilgrims rush to Ronconvalles and in the process do not get to savour the only bit of the Camino Francaise in France and the only truly mountainous bit until you get Galacia. It is also the place where people pick up injuries as this is the toughest stage and the pilgrim is at their most unfit stage ..... so take it easy, play it safe and savour like you would your favourite desert.

One other thing - you mention not doing the Napoleon part alone, will there definitely be other people to do it with?! surely yes?! Having a momentary panic that I'm going to get injured and be alone!
Claire,
Did I miss it, or has no one mentioned Bilbao airport? It's a handy-enough bus ride of about 90min from Logrono to Bilbao for flights to London Heathrow (I think) and Stansted (probably Easyjet). That might do if you 'aim' for Logrono during your springtime Camino-section.
Buen Camino(s) and many happy returns!
Hi, it's just that flights to Bilbao are much more expensive! I'm trying to weigh up travel times and costs and just can't work out which route is best!

Hi! The Napoleon Route is over the hill between St Jean PP and Roncesvalles. The alternative is the Valcarlos route, which goes through the valley and is advisable in bad weather. It also involves a steep climb between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles but not as exposed. Take local advice about which route to take if in any doubt.

Easyjet has flights from London Gatwick and Luton to Bordeaux (BOD) is an option.

SNCF train Bordeaux to Bayonne

SNCF TER train to SJPdP

There is PESA bus connecting Biarritz Airport to San Sebastian and Bilbao.

There is EDSA bus connecting Biarritz Airport to Pamplona

There is CONDA bus connecting Biarritz Airport to San Sebastian and Pamplona.

It might be easier to catch the chronoplus bus to gare Biarritz where there are several trains per hour to Irun/Hendaye.

Renfe operates trains from Irun/Hendaye and San Sebastian to Pamplona, Burgos and many other transport hub locations. There are many buses that go from the central bus stations in Pamplona, Burgos, etc to almost any village along the camino.

Euskotren connects Hendaye to Irun should your choice of trains require the shuttle service.

Biarritz airport (BIQ) has links under 'Access'.
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/access-car-parks/biarritz-airport-access.html

Does anyone know how much trains cost? For example, from Biarritz to SJPP? I can't seem to find prices online... x

Chronoplus urban bus #14 from BIQ to Gare Bayonne costs 1 euro.

Ter Acquitane - select 'produits et prix'
http://www.ter-sncf.com/regions/aquitaine/fr/default.aspx

One other thing - you mention not doing the Napoleon part alone, will there definitely be other people to do it with?! surely yes?! Having a momentary panic that I'm going to get injured and be alone!

Last year 30000 people who started in SJPdP finished in Santiago without notable incident ... route Napoleon is not difficult or hazardous. The only risks are due to it being a long day without much shelter. People tend to get into trouble near the end of the day due to low energy and end of daylight. If this is combined with cool wet weather or very thick fog it can result in hypothermia and confusion about the route ... the last bit from Col de Lepoeder is not well marked.

But I am worried about going at the beginning of April?

Ask at the pilgrim office in SJPdP before setting out. Worst case scenario is route Napoleon is closed ... then you will have to walk via Route Valcarlos ... and if the off road sections of the Valcarlos route are snowed in then you will have to walk along the road, which will be plowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi there

The Napoleon Route is the one part, possibly the only part of the Camino that I would recommend walking with others. For the majority of people it is their first day, the most challenging day in terms of terrain and in terms of it being the first day. The weather can change and I have been up there enough times to treat it with the upmost of respect. I have been up there in snow, 120PKH winds and in fog. Fog is the scariest weather to walk in.

That said it is a stunning walk, a stage to savour, thus the picnic and Orrison idea. Treat it with respect and do not go on this route if the Pilgrim office in SJPP say not to unless you are prepared to walk uninsured as your insurance is no longer valid when advised to
Hi there,

How do you know if Napoleon route is going to be closed? Is this where I will be walking? I've done so much research but I'm not sure about where exactly this is? Is there an alternative for me if the Napoleon is closed?! x

Thank you all.

The flights that I am looking at are as follows. I am trying to access bus timetables online, but they don't seem to want to work. Are buses quite regular at the times that am going?

I'm thinking of flying in to Biarritz at 15.55 on the Sat. Would I be able to get to SJPP that evening somehow? This is for Sat 5th April.

Then I am thinking of flying from Barcelona to London on Tuesday 15th April. The flight leaves at 10.50. As a result, will I be able to travel there the evening before? The alternative is to leave from another airport, but Bilboa is rather expensive to fly back to and Stansted is an age away!

With thanks, I'm grateful like you wouldn't believe!

Claire x

Thank you all.

The flights that I am looking at are as follows. I am trying to access bus timetables online, but they don't seem to want to work. Are buses quite regular at the times that am going?

I'm thinking of flying in to Biarritz at 15.55 on the Sat. Would I be able to get to SJPP that evening somehow? This is for Sat 5th April.

Then I am thinking of flying from Barcelona to London on Tuesday 15th April. The flight leaves at 10.50. As a result, will I be able to travel there the evening before? The alternative is to leave from another airport, but Bilboa is rather expensive to fly back to and Stansted is an age away!

With thanks, I'm grateful like you wouldn't believe!

Claire x

#14 has buses every half hour. The last one you can use leaves airport doors at 1721 and arrives at Gare Bayonne 1755. Last train to SJPdP leaves 1806 from Gare Bayonne.

Chronoplus #14 towards Gare Bayonne
http://www.chronoplus.eu/horaires_ligne/index.asp?rub_code=6&lign_id=51&sens=2&date=05/04/2014&heure=15&minute=25

SNCF TER #62
http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/...ion/62-AFFICHE-2013_25_11_13_tcm-11-67795.pdf

Your best bet for getting to Barcelona is to catch the Renfe train. I'm assuming you'll make Logroño by the evening 13 April (8 days). Else you will need to catch a bus to a town where the train operates.

Renfe
http://www.renfe.com/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back