• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finished my first Camino Frances. Thank you Forum for all your advice.

DwainS

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances(2020)
Finished June 25, 32 days. The different advice, and I stress "different advice" was crucial for me to in the end to make my own decision on the way I wanted to walk my Camino. All the pros and cons, from Rain jackets and pants to ponchos, (right up to the night before I left did I decide not to take my rain pants, just hiked in my shorts in the rain), booking ahead or not too, blister prevention and many other things were invaluable to me. I did the 2 sock method that I never heard of before and did not get any blisters. I also did not spray my gear and did not get bed bugs. The advice Trecile gave me not to try to get to SJPP on my first day when I really wanted to was spot on when my plane got delayed in Toronto for 4 hours.

I did not get into Pamplona till 10 PM were I had my room booked and had a good nights sleep. I would have been really stressed if I had planned on getting to SJPP that day.

I did not even know if the Frances was the first Camino I wan't to walk but so many said positive things about all the interaction between pilgrims on the Camino Frances. They were so right. At just about 65 years old I would not class myself as outgoing. But how I have changed, hopefully for the better. I have never met so many people, from all over the world, having dinner with them, drinks, or just walking and talking, and it always seemed like positive conversation.

During my first week of walking I was struggling to walk 20 km a day and so sore and tired I thought who would ever walk more than one camino or get the camino blues to return. By the end I could walk 30 km easily. Now I feel I have to return, maybe Portuguese next May. I also spent 3 nights in Santiago and loved every night. Met people all three days who I met along the way who arrived in Santiago during the 3 days I was there.

Bussed to Finisterre for 2 days and met more friends and had sunset dinner there. And last but not least my last day in Spain was in Madrid and I did not know whether to stay near the airport or downtown. Thanks to those who said downtown. Stayed at OK Hostel, which was recommended on the forum and it was so close to everything I wanted to see in the one afternoon and evening I was there. Plaza Mayor, Plaza Sol Museums all within a short walk. Was even an easy walk to Atocha Train station next morning to catch the 5 euro bus to airport. Keep up the good work here on Ivar's forum and thanks again for all the advice, I might need it again if I do the Camino Portuguese.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Finished June 25, 32 days. The different advice, and I stress "different advice" was crucial for me to in the end to make my own decision on the way I wanted to walk my Camino. All the pros and cons, from Rain jackets and pants to ponchos, (right up to the night before I left did I decide not to take my rain pants, just hiked in my shorts in the rain), booking ahead or not too, blister prevention and many other things were invaluable to me. I did the 2 sock method that I never heard of before and did not get any blisters. I also did not spray my gear and did not get bed bugs. The advice Trecile gave me not to try to get to SJPP on my first day when I really wanted to was spot on when my plane got delayed in Toronto for 4 hours. I did not get into Pamplona till 10 PM were I had my room booked and had a good nights sleep. I would have been really stressed if I had planned on getting to SJPP that day. I did not even know if the Frances was the first Camino I wan't to walk but so many said positive things about all the interaction between pilgrims on the Camino Frances. They were so right. At just about 65 years old I would not class myself as outgoing. But how I have changed, hopefully for the better. I have never met so many people, from all over the world, having dinner with them, drinks, or just walking and talking, and it always seemed like positive conversation. During my first week of walking I was struggling to walk 20 km a day and so sore and tired I thought who would ever walk more than one camino or get the camino blues to return. By the end I could walk 30 km easily. Now I feel I have to return, maybe Portuguese next May. I also spent 3 nights in Santiago and loved every night. Met people all three days who I met along the way who arrived in Santiago during the 3 days I was there. Bussed to Finisterre for 2 days and met more friends and had sunset dinner there. And last but not least my last day in Spain was in Madrid and I did not know whether to stay near the airport or downtown. Thanks to those who said downtown. Stayed at OK Hostel, which was recommended on the forum and it was so close to everything I wanted to see in the one afternoon and evening I was there. Plaza Mayor, Plaza Sol Museums all within a short walk. Was even an easy walk to Atocha Train station next morning to catch the 5 euro bus to airport. Keep up the good work here on Ivar's forum and thanks again for all the advice, I might need it again if I do the Camino Portuguese.
Thank you for posting this! Im starting my first Aug 7.....😳 it's immensely helpful to hear from pilgrims my age 💜

Finished June 25, 32 days. The different advice, and I stress "different advice" was crucial for me to in the end to make my own decision on the way I wanted to walk my Camino. All the pros and cons, from Rain jackets and pants to ponchos, (right up to the night before I left did I decide not to take my rain pants, just hiked in my shorts in the rain), booking ahead or not too, blister prevention and many other things were invaluable to me. I did the 2 sock method that I never heard of before and did not get any blisters. I also did not spray my gear and did not get bed bugs. The advice Trecile gave me not to try to get to SJPP on my first day when I really wanted to was spot on when my plane got delayed in Toronto for 4 hours. I did not get into Pamplona till 10 PM were I had my room booked and had a good nights sleep. I would have been really stressed if I had planned on getting to SJPP that day. I did not even know if the Frances was the first Camino I wan't to walk but so many said positive things about all the interaction between pilgrims on the Camino Frances. They were so right. At just about 65 years old I would not class myself as outgoing. But how I have changed, hopefully for the better. I have never met so many people, from all over the world, having dinner with them, drinks, or just walking and talking, and it always seemed like positive conversation. During my first week of walking I was struggling to walk 20 km a day and so sore and tired I thought who would ever walk more than one camino or get the camino blues to return. By the end I could walk 30 km easily. Now I feel I have to return, maybe Portuguese next May. I also spent 3 nights in Santiago and loved every night. Met people all three days who I met along the way who arrived in Santiago during the 3 days I was there. Bussed to Finisterre for 2 days and met more friends and had sunset dinner there. And last but not least my last day in Spain was in Madrid and I did not know whether to stay near the airport or downtown. Thanks to those who said downtown. Stayed at OK Hostel, which was recommended on the forum and it was so close to everything I wanted to see in the one afternoon and evening I was there. Plaza Mayor, Plaza Sol Museums all within a short walk. Was even an easy walk to Atocha Train station next morning to catch the 5 euro bus to airport. Keep up the good work here on Ivar's forum and thanks again for all the advice, I might need it again if I do the Camino Portuguese.
Thanks DwainS! You took the words out of my mouth. Like you, I’ve learned a lot and continue to learn from this Ivar community forum. It’s a wealth of information. I’ve never done the Camino and I’m looking forward to my first in mid-April 2024.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Congrats, @DwainS 👍
We are exactly one year apart, as I walked into SdC on June 25, thus completing my 1st Camino Frances, spent 3 days there, then hiked to Finisterre and ultimately ended "the adventure" in Madrid
"Today" was the day I flew home....
I had a lot of bittersweet feelings these last couple of weeks... I couldn't believe that it has been a WHOLE YEAR!!!!...
... Cherish the memories...and yes... that magical pull that eventually brings most of us back
BUEN CAMINO

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you for posting this! Im starting my first Aug 7.....😳 it's immensely helpful to hear from pilgrims my age 💜
I am planning a gentle start from SJPdP by walking 8.5kms to Auberge Borda; where I will be staying for the evening of August 8th. I will stop in at Refuge Orisson meet pilgrims to get a weather report.

I am planning a gentle start from SJPdP by walking 8.5kms to Auberge Borda; where I will be staying for the evening of August 8th. I will stop in at Refuge Orisson meet pilgrims to get a weather report.
Do stay for the communal meal at Orisson! I met the people who have become lifelong friends there. Seven years later we're still looking for reunion opportunities.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I doubt some folks who have a bag transported will reveal it given the history of negativity that has been expressed on this forum regarding shipping bags.
@DJwalKing said that they will be sleeping up the road at Borda, where they also have a communal dinner

Finished June 25, 32 days. The different advice, and I stress "different advice" was crucial for me to in the end to make my own decision on the way I wanted to walk my Camino. All the pros and cons, from Rain jackets and pants to ponchos, (right up to the night before I left did I decide not to take my rain pants, just hiked in my shorts in the rain), booking ahead or not too, blister prevention and many other things were invaluable to me. I did the 2 sock method that I never heard of before and did not get any blisters. I also did not spray my gear and did not get bed bugs. The advice Trecile gave me not to try to get to SJPP on my first day when I really wanted to was spot on when my plane got delayed in Toronto for 4 hours.

I did not get into Pamplona till 10 PM were I had my room booked and had a good nights sleep. I would have been really stressed if I had planned on getting to SJPP that day.

I did not even know if the Frances was the first Camino I wan't to walk but so many said positive things about all the interaction between pilgrims on the Camino Frances. They were so right. At just about 65 years old I would not class myself as outgoing. But how I have changed, hopefully for the better. I have never met so many people, from all over the world, having dinner with them, drinks, or just walking and talking, and it always seemed like positive conversation.

During my first week of walking I was struggling to walk 20 km a day and so sore and tired I thought who would ever walk more than one camino or get the camino blues to return. By the end I could walk 30 km easily. Now I feel I have to return, maybe Portuguese next May. I also spent 3 nights in Santiago and loved every night. Met people all three days who I met along the way who arrived in Santiago during the 3 days I was there.

Bussed to Finisterre for 2 days and met more friends and had sunset dinner there. And last but not least my last day in Spain was in Madrid and I did not know whether to stay near the airport or downtown. Thanks to those who said downtown. Stayed at OK Hostel, which was recommended on the forum and it was so close to everything I wanted to see in the one afternoon and evening I was there. Plaza Mayor, Plaza Sol Museums all within a short walk. Was even an easy walk to Atocha Train station next morning to catch the 5 euro bus to airport. Keep up the good work here on Ivar's forum and thanks again for all the advice, I might need it again if I do the Camino Portuguese.
Congratulations! Happy for you!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back