• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Brilat Tui to Santiago military challenge - 28 June 2023

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
The locally based Brilat army brigade will be holding their annual challenge march from Tui to Santiago on Wednesday this week. An extremely demanding physical test which involves a fast march for 120km from Tui to Santiago carrying a rucksack full of kit plus a rifle. Stopping along the way for a series of military skills tests such as abseiling, rifle shooting and an assault course. In past events the leading teams have covered the entire distance from Tui on foot in about 16 hours!

A short YouTube video of a last year's event that gives an idea of the challenge.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very impressive!
Last week I met some young military recruits here on a fast march with full kit and rifle.They did not need to do other tests aside from walking but still!
And the full kit consists of heavy army boots and no light trailrunners.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hmm. Pilgrimage?
Not for me to judge, of course......
It is a military exercise run along much of the same route as the Camino Portugues. That may be of some interest to those who have walked the route at a more sedate pace or those who encounter the soldiers over the next day or two. The brigade do not describe the event as a pilgrimage. However, many of the soldiers involved end the exercise by attending mass in the cathedral and in the past the pilgrim office has given Compostelas to those participants who have requested one.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I attempted a 100k/24h endurance hike this year.
I was forced to quit after little more than half.
My friends finished it between 20-22h.
The best did finish in around 13,5h.

So I feel i have some idea of what is being talked about.

We had resupplies every 20k.
We had light kits.
We only had to walk.
No additional challenges.
No shooting excercises.
Just walking.

120k in 24h with military gear weighing you down plus the extra challenges.... wow. just wow. That is brutal and far beyond anything i have seen so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back