• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bringing a T Mobile Samsung 6

Lyndale

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Aug(2013), Portuguese (2018) Le Puy (2019)
Tried searching but unable to find answer. I think I read that I can bring my Samsung ^ which I have through T Mobile and it will work in Portugal and Spain. If this is correct can you tell me 1) Do I need to contact T Mobile before leaving the US? 2) Can I make a few free calls to US or small charge? 3) Can I listen to audio books or music without a charge from T Mobile. 4) Texting free?
Not planning on calling the US but just in case there is some type of issue that needs to be dealt with.
Only planning to possibly listen to lively music when I need to be motivated to walk faster.
Not sure this is being posted correctly but couldn't find the correct area.
Thanks in advance for all that have a better grasp on technology.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have T mobile as well, I went to my local T mobile store and they adjusted some settings on my phone to make it "ready" for travel. I think it may depend on your plan though, i'm not sure. But for me I get unlimited data and texting while traveling. If you need to make calls I recommend using the WhatsApp app or Facebook Messenger app. It uses data and not minutes, the calling is clear. I use them both when I travel.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks this helps a lot. Now I know it is possible so I can confidently go to the T Mobile Store.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I use T-Mobile, and have their plan that includes free data worldwide. Also unlimited texting to/from US phone numbers. It has worked great for me on the Camino and other countries. They only guarantee 2G speeds, but I always get 3G,abd and 4G speeds. Calls using T-mobile will cost you 20¢ a minute. To save more I use the Viber app, and buy $5 worth of Viber credit so that I can call landlines in Spain and elsewhere. Especially helpful when calling ahead to book accommodation.
I haven't needed to adjust any settings gs o my phone.

Whatsapp is an absolute boon to travelers , text messages , voice calls and video calls with photo and video sharing all for data costs . Once you are logged into the WiFi where ever you are staying it becomes very economical , in fact free .

Recently switched from AT&T to T Mobile. Was told I could pay $25 extra per month for unlimited talk, text, and data from anywhere to anywhere. If your "month" begins on the 23rd day of the current month, it will end on the 23rd day of the following month. You may renew or cancel at any time.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What Trecile said. I have T-mobile, I have travelled with it all around Spain, on the Portuguese Camino, and other places. No problems with data anywhere. Phone calls (without wifi) are 20 cents a minute but I used whatsapp. No problems.

I have used t-Mobile since 2015 on my iPhone. Here, in the Forum, I may be the one who first spread the word about t-Mobile and induced others to switch. I am glad that others have discovered the same economies as I have.

As long as the phone is 'unlocked' and carrier selection is set to automatic in settings/phone it should fire up on a Spanish network as soon as you turn it on after landing. I am not aware of any other special settings that had to be made. But, you can always take it to your local t-Mobile store to verify.

My plan is the "Simple Choice," 5 Gb of data monthly plan. It includes unlimited voice and text in the US, Canada, or Mexico. Overseas, and certainly in France, Portugal or Spain, I use data for mostly everything.

Like 'Trecile' above, voice calls are USD 20 per minute, or about € .16 cents. Unused data rolls over like a downhill snowball, from month-to-month. This feature creates a data 'stash' that I use when volunteering for a month at Santiago each summer. Each year, I return home in late August to a voice-minutes bill of less than USD 10. That is 50 minutes of voice calls, maximum. I do not use the voice capability except for emergencies or managing reservations, and occasionally phoning a friend in Spain.

Personally, and whenever possible, I use my built-in FaceTime app to place audio calls over the data link. If you have FaceTime, look at the top of the screen. You see buttons for Voice or Video. Select VOICE. Also, read this article:

https://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/974213

Hope this helps.

WhatsApp, FaceTime, Facebook messenger, etc. are all great for communicating with others who have the same apps on their phones, but if you want to call a landline or other phone that doesn't use the same apps as yours, I highly recommend the Viber app. Just $5 of Viber credit will be more than enough for any calls that you need to make to landlines and other phones that don't have the same apps as you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I use T-Mobile, and have their plan that includes free data worldwide. Also unlimited texting to/from US phone numbers. It has worked great for me on the Camino and other countries. They only guarantee 2G speeds, but I always get 3G,abd and 4G speeds. Calls using T-mobile will cost you 20¢ a minute. To save more I use the Viber app, and buy $5 worth of Viber credit so that I can call landlines in Spain and elsewhere. Especially helpful when calling ahead to book accommodation.
I haven't needed to adjust any settings gs o my phone.
Thank you so much, very helpful.
Lynda

Recently switched from AT&T to T Mobile. Was told I could pay $25 extra per month for unlimited talk, text, and data from anywhere to anywhere. If your "month" begins on the 23rd day of the current month, it will end on the 23rd day of the following month. You may renew or cancel at any time.
Sounds really good. Going to the T Mobile store tomorrow!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What Trecile said. I have T-mobile, I have travelled with it all around Spain, on the Portuguese Camino, and other places. No problems with data anywhere. Phone calls (without wifi) are 20 cents a minute but I used whatsapp. No problems.
Perfect! Thank you

I have used t-Mobile since 2015 on my iPhone. Here, in the Forum, I may be the one who first spread the word about t-Mobile and induced others to switch. I am glad that others have discovered the same economies as I have.

As long as the phone is 'unlocked' and carrier selection is set to automatic in settings/phone it should fire up on a Spanish network as soon as you turn it on after landing. I am not aware of any other special settings that had to be made. But, you can always take it to your local t-Mobile store to verify.

My plan is the "Simple Choice," 5 Gb of data monthly plan. It includes unlimited voice and text in the US, Canada, or Mexico. Overseas, and certainly in France, Portugal or Spain, I use data for mostly everything.

Like 'Trecile' above, voice calls are USD 20 per minute, or about € .16 cents. Unused data rolls over like a downhill snowball, from month-to-month. This feature creates a data 'stash' that I use when volunteering for a month at Santiago each summer. Each year, I return home in late August to a voice-minutes bill of less than USD 10. That is 50 minutes of voice calls, maximum. I do not use the voice capability except for emergencies or managing reservations, and occasionally phoning a friend in Spain.

Personally, and whenever possible, I use my built-in FaceTime app to place audio calls over the data link. If you have FaceTime, look at the top of the screen. You see buttons for Voice or Video. Select VOICE. Also, read this article:

https://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/974213

Hope this helps.
Extremely helpful. We leave for Portugal in less than a month and this has been on my mind for awhile. Love this site. Have a question and 20 people know the answer right away and are happy to answer and help out. Again thank you all.
Lynda and Dale

WhatsApp, FaceTime, Facebook messenger, etc. are all great for communicating with others who have the same apps on their phones, but if you want to call a landline or other phone that doesn't use the same apps as yours, I highly recommend the Viber app. Just $5 of Viber credit will be more than enough for any calls that you need to make to landlines and other phones that don't have the same apps as you.

So am I understanding right? I can make a 3 minute call to the USA for 60 cents or Get $5 of Viber and it may be a little less per minute. These calls can be to either the US or in Portugal?

So am I understanding right? I can make a 3 minute call to the USA for 60 cents or Get $5 of Viber and it may be a little less per minute. These calls can be to either the US or in Portugal?
Not just a little less with Viber - it's a tenth of the cost. 2¢ per minute versus 20¢ per minute.
And yes, it doesn't matter where on the world you are, or where in the world you are calling.

I highly recommend the Viber app. Just $5 of Viber credit will be more than enough for any calls that you need to make to landlines and other phones that don't have the same apps as you.

Checking this out now. I've never heard of this, but if I'm reading everything correctly this is just what I need. The only reason I can see needing to make a phone call is for an occasional albergue/hostel reservation. I'm on AT&T at home, they want $60/month plus $1/minute international... Thanks for the recommendation, @trecile !

Lyndale - you are correct.

It comes down to how chatty you are. If you can restrict voice calls to ONLY truly emergent calls, t-Mobile is a good way to go. If you are a prolific talker, then Viber might be better.

I found in previous years that having a separate SIM in Spain or another Euro country was a pain, as it required changing your phone number for the travel period. Using t-Mobile nothing changes. If your neighbor in the US calls you, it rings in Spain. Called ID works just fine. So, you can reject calls you choose not to answer.

Hope this helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.