• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Budget bed & breakfast in St Jean for solo traveller?

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Hi, I’m looking for a budget bed & breakfast in St Jean Pied de Port, mid-October 2015, that serves breakfast at a reasonable hour, e.g. about 8 or 9am. Can anyone recommend a place? I intend to start slowly and walk only as far as Valcarlos on my first day (or Orisson if it’s still open and the weather is good), and do not wish to get tossed out before it’s daylight (I will get enough of that at the albergues in Spain). So far, all I can find are pilgrim hostels that kick you out at 8am, or guest houses that have only double rooms, and thus penalise the solo traveller by having “single supplement” rates. Very many thanks for any assistance. Jill.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Unless you book a private room, most places want you out by 8 am so they can begin cleaning for the next day.
I have stayed at Gite Compostella. It is old, but clean, friendly, and convenient.
They will take reservations and if you want a private room, it is possible.
And I'm sure they would let you stay until daylight.
A bit of French language will help, but if you can't do that, try Google Translate to make your reservation by email.

Unless you book a private room, most places want you out by 8 am so they can begin cleaning for the next day.
I have stayed at Gite Compostella. It is old, but clean, friendly, and convenient.
They will take reservations and if you want a private room, it is possible.
And I'm sure they would let you stay until daylight.
A bit of French language will help, but if you can't do that, try Google Translate to make your reservation by email.

Here is their French website. If you booked a room with 2 beds and paid for both you could stay in a "private" space for 30 euros.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Many thanks for the links. I’ve checked all the places on the first website now, and I’m boycotting every one that penalises the solo traveller, which is all the hotels and chambres d’hotes!

I’ve sent emails to Gite Compostella, thank you for that suggestion, and also Gîte Zazpiak Bat. I’ll post their replies, if I hear back from them. Jill

I’m boycotting every one that penalises the solo traveller, which is all the hotels and chambres d’hotes!

I understand that you are seeking budget accommodation and would like a bed in a room that is shared with other solo travellers. Other people seek private rooms and it is normal for the price to be based on the room, just like hotels and bed and breakfasts everywhere. This is not really "penalizing" the solo traveler - those facilities rent rooms, not beds, and they may have different service levels that would cost more. They aren't doing anything wrong, so a boycott seems a little harsh! Maybe it was just a hasty word choice. :)

Good luck with the search. I am also hoping to start in SJPP in mid-October 2015. I've twice walked at that time of year but haven't done the whole route in one session.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Jill

My wife walked the camino in the fall of 2013 and stayed in this little B&B in Saint Jean for a couple of nights before starting her camino.

http://www.donamaria.fr

The gentleman that runs it, will meet you at the train station is desired but it is easy 10-15 minute from there to the B&B.

Regards

If you plan to walk only some hours the first day, an option would be to start right away after arriving in SJPP. To Orisson is 8 km (steep!) and to Valcarlos 11 km (easier). Note that Orisson is 35e, and the albergue at Valcarlos, 10e.
Buen camino!

I understand that you are seeking budget accommodation and would like a bed in a room that is shared with other solo travellers. Other people seek private rooms and it is normal for the price to be based on the room, just like hotels and bed and breakfasts everywhere. This is not really "penalizing" the solo traveler - those facilities rent rooms, not beds, and they may have different service levels that would cost more. They aren't doing anything wrong, so a boycott seems a little harsh! Maybe it was just a hasty word choice. :)

Good luck with the search. I am also hoping to start in SJPP in mid-October 2015. I've twice walked at that time of year but haven't done the whole route in one session.

Umm, no it wasn't a hasty word choice. I won't stay in a place that doesn't cater for singles. All they have to do is convert the tiny attic room into a single bed room, and charge accordingly.
If you are also starting mid-Oct, maybe we could share a twin bed room, and my problem is solved!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Jill

My wife walked the camino in the fall of 2013 and stayed in this little B&B in Saint Jean for a couple of nights before starting her camino.

http://www.donamaria.fr

The gentleman that runs it, will meet you at the train station is desired but it is easy 10-15 minute from there to the B&B.

Regards

I liked the look of that one when searching earlier, but their tariffs are:
1 night for 1 person 60 €
1 night for 2 persons 70 €
Jill

If you plan to walk only some hours the first day, an option would be to start right away after arriving in SJPP. To Orisson is 8 km (steep!) and to Valcarlos 11 km (easier). Note that Orisson is 35e, and the albergue at Valcarlos, 10e.
Buen camino!

Hi Felipe
Ideally that is what I would like to do, and might actually do that. I shall probably fly into Paris about 6am. I could fly to Biarritz and then train to St Jean, and get there by midday. But I will get stressed that the flight (one or the other) will be delayed . . . . or my luggage goes missing . . . . or I miss the earlier train . . . etc. Or else I overnight somewhere else between Paris and St Jean . . .

Jill

It is challenge in Saint Jean to find a single bed in a B&B for under 60 euro. It is France - once you get into Spain the price of single accommodation falls significantly.

As you have pointed out the alternative is finding a single bed in a single room in a pilgrim gite that will let you sleep in pass 8:00.

You might get lucky and find a single bed in a family run pension in the old section of town but many of these places do not have websites - you will need to check with the pilgrim office upon your arrival to see what is available.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Note that Orisson is 35e, and the albergue at Valcarlos, 10e.

In fact Orisson is 35 euros with dinner and breakfast (demi-pension) and the municipal albergue in Valcarlos is 10 euros with breakfast only (2014 info).

Another option is to try Booking.com and see what is available for the dates in the October that will suit your requirement.

In fact Orisson is 35 euros with dinner and breakfast (demi-pension) and the municipal albergue in Valcarlos is 10 euros with breakfast only (2014 info).
Well, about Valcarlos, I don't know if things have changed, but some years ago there was no hospitalero, just a lady who came to collect the tariff.
There was a brand-new, good kitchen (oven, etc.), and a near little bar/supermarket where I could buy groceries. We (we were only two pilgrims, in mid-Mars) cooked diner and a hurried breakfast before leaving.
Valcarlos is a little, picturesque Basque village.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree with Felipe the municipal albergue in Valcarlos is great and a bargain at 10 euros. Last mid October it was, as always, clinically clean and wonderfully heated. You can book in advance if you wish and upon arrival obtain the door code at the nearby townhall opposite the church. There is no on-site hospitalero. Can't wait to return next October!

Hi, I’m looking for a budget bed & breakfast in St Jean Pied de Port, mid-October 2015, that serves breakfast at a reasonable hour, e.g. about 8 or 9am. Can anyone recommend a place? .
Hi Jill,
In 2013 I stayed at a wonderful place called Accueil Jacquaire which is in the area of the Pilgrim's Office. It's run by a woman named Marie and is just like a B&B. She has 2 extra bedrooms in her house. One is a single and one is a double. I can't remember what I paid but 30 Euros comes to mind. Marie only speaks French though - or at least she doesn't speak English. She's a wonderful woman and if I were to stay in SJPP again I would stay there just to visit her. Good luck, Cecelia
Accueil Jacquaire
Maison Arcanzola
Marie GARDERES
Rue de la Citadelle, 32
F 64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
Tél : 05 59 49 17 05 - 06 48 11 97 38
E-mail : garderes.marie-france@neuf.fr

Jill

That seems quite fair surely, (not the price but the differential in prices) as the only additional cost for a second person is a second breakfast and an extra towel to wash.........

I have to confess I thought single room supplements went out years ago, other than for cruises and 'package' tours. Generally a room cost is a room cost regardless of whether 1 or 2 people stay in it.

Are you hoping to find a single room at half the cost of a twin bedded room?

Apologies if I'm missing the point here.......

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree with Felipe the municipal albergue in Valcarlos is great and a bargain at 10 euros. Last mid October it was, as always, clinically clean and wonderfully heated. You can book in advance if you wish and upon arrival obtain the door code at the nearby townhall opposite the church. There is no on-site hospitalero. Can't wait to return next October!
I also have stayed there; a really nice municipal albergue, and I like the Valcarlos route. Jill

Another option is to try Booking.com and see what is available for the dates in the October that will suit your requirement.
Thanks, Jirit, have tried that!

Hi Jill,
In 2013 I stayed at a wonderful place called Accueil Jacquaire which is in the area of the Pilgrim's Office. It's run by a woman named Marie and is just like a B&B. She has 2 extra bedrooms in her house. One is a single and one is a double. I can't remember what I paid but 30 Euros comes to mind. Marie only speaks French though - or at least she doesn't speak English. She's a wonderful woman and if I were to stay in SJPP again I would stay there just to visit her. Good luck, Cecelia
Accueil Jacquaire
Maison Arcanzola
Marie GARDERES
Rue de la Citadelle, 32
F 64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
Tél : 05 59 49 17 05 - 06 48 11 97 38
E-mail : garderes.marie-france@neuf.fr
Thanks, Cecelia, will definitely give that one a try. Jill

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That seems quite fair surely, (not the price but the differential in prices) as the only additional cost for a second person is a second breakfast and an extra towel to wash.........

I have to confess I thought single room supplements went out years ago, other than for cruises and 'package' tours. Generally a room cost is a room cost regardless of whether 1 or 2 people stay in it.

Are you hoping to find a single room at half the cost of a twin bedded room?

Apologies if I'm missing the point here.......

Hi Robo, No, I'm trying to find a bed in SJPDP that is not too expensive (it can be a dorm bed, a hotel room, or a chambre d'hote), and will not toss me out of their establishment at 8am. I will be quite happy with a dorm bed, but all the gites seem to send you on your way by 8am. Single rooms seem to be few and far between in SJPDP. When a hotel does have a room with one single bed in it, they usually charge an appropriate price for it. Yes, I understand all about twin-bed rooms and that the cost is the same if there are one or two people in it. I am just not prepared to pay 60 euro for my room, when the two people in the room next door are paying 35 euro each. My question was: "I’m looking for a budget bed & breakfast in St Jean Pied de Port, mid-October 2015, that serves breakfast at a reasonable hour, e.g. about 8 or 9am". 60 euro is not "budget" in my books. Jill

Jill
Yes, 60 Euros for the room, and 10 extra for the other person's breakfast.

Have you tried Hotel Itzalpea?
I stayed there a few years ago and if the price suits you it's good.
The 2 ladies do not speak English or Spanish ,only French and Basque.
Hand signals are understood.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Have you tried Hotel Itzalpea?
I stayed there a few years ago and if the price suits you it's good.
The 2 ladies do not speak English or Spanish ,only French and Basque.
Hand signals are understood.

They are a bit more reasonably priced (68 euro for a double or twin, and 49 euro for a single), plus 9 euro per person for breakfast, so still coming out at 58 euro B&B for a solo traveller. Strangely, booking.com is full for my dates, but it does have other dates available in October. Maybe I should start another thread advertising for a lady to share a twin bed room with me in SJPDP on 14 Oct 2015 . . . and who doesn’t want to get up at 6.30am! Jill

I was going to suggest that you rang the hotel direct to see if that worked out cheaper than booking.com,
then I saw where you lived.
It would probably cost too much for the phone call especially if you don't speak french!

Hi, I’m looking for a budget bed & breakfast in St Jean Pied de Port, mid-October 2015, that serves breakfast at a reasonable hour, e.g. about 8 or 9am. Can anyone recommend a place? I intend to start slowly and walk only as far as Valcarlos on my first day (or Orisson if it’s still open and the weather is good), and do not wish to get tossed out before it’s daylight (I will get enough of that at the albergues in Spain). Jill.

An afterthought about safety and departing hours....consider that from SJPP to Roncesvalles is a long and tough journey. Most reports are in the range of 7-9 hrs by the Napolleon route; by Valcarlos, I'm a regular walker, and I did 8 hrs (in two stages). October is a bit late in the year, and it is very advisable to arrive at Roncesvalles with daylight.
Buen camino!

Yes, I understand all about twin-bed rooms and that the cost is the same if there are one or two people in it. I am just not prepared to pay 60 euro for my room, when the two people in the room next door are paying 35 euro each.

They're paying e70 for a room, rather than e35 each. I am missing the point somewhere :)

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Jill,

I have booked in for two nights at:

http://errecaldia.com/

Highly recommended by a past Pilgrim. I'm there April 7th and 8th. Starting my Camino on April 9th.

Buen Camino

I like it! Good rates, includes breakfast, and departure time is 11am. Yes!
Thank you so much!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I like it! Good rates, includes breakfast, and departure time is 11am. Yes!
Thank you so much!
Just email Tim (or call him) to check for availability. No upfront payment is required.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, about Valcarlos, I don't know if things have changed, but some years ago there was no hospitalero, just a lady who came to collect the tariff.
There was a brand-new, good kitchen (oven, etc.), and a near little bar/supermarket where I could buy groceries. We (we were only two pilgrims, in mid-Mars) cooked diner and a hurried breakfast before leaving.
Valcarlos is a little, picturesque Basque village.

Does it have a bar ? :)

Just email Tim (or call him) to check for availability. No upfront payment is required.
I'm booked!
Thank you to everyone who replied to my query, much appreciated. Jill

Does it have a bar ? :)
Did I imply that the albergue has a bar? o_O Sorry, English is not my native language.
Actually, there are albergues with bars, strange as it may seem...I knew two, in Hontanas and Agés. It happens that bars in little villages are kind of social centres.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back