• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bug spray

Eve Alexandra

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Astorga-SDC, April 2022 SJPP-Muxia
Is there a bug spray available in farmacias that works better than me waving my stick in front of my face like a windshield wiper? 😆

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get some mosquito/bug netting for your head. They make them that hang over a hat.
Not sure how practical and effective walking while spraying poison in front of your face would be not to mention you'll be walking into the poison yourself as you spray.

A hat and mosquito/bug net, or the good old classic from Oz: a collection of corks hanging from strings. You could while you walk reminisce on your thoughts you had while emptying out the (wine) bottle(s) ;-)

else 100% DEET on the collar of your shirt and on your hat

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In Europe it is easier to find picaridin based repellents than in North America. These do not smell as bad as DEET based ones or feel as oily. Personally, I have had better results with DEET.

A ten year old Appalachian Mountain Club article:

In Europe it is easier to find picaridin based repellents than in North America. These do not smell as bad as DEET based ones or feel as oily. Personally, I have had better results with DEET.

A ten year old Appalachian Mountain Club article:
Interesting article, Rick. It would be nice if there was an update to it now. I don't know who volunteered to test these products, but I wouldn't have wanted to be a guinea pig.😅

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Eve, I am surprised to hear of nuisance gnats, flies or mosquitos on the Camino so early. I have always started my Caminos in the spring and have never seen any bugs flying around. I guess it's like the weather and a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get.
Two days ago I got bit by a black fly while sitting on a rock taking a break. Today it was gnats gnats everywhere. Lol I’m no scientist but I’ve noticed at home that the bug seasons are shifting with climate changes. Of course I own a bug net and it’s at home because it never even occurred to me to bring it. 😑 I hate it when that happens. I’ll keep my eye out at the farmacias and see what I can find. I just didn’t know if there was something everyone uses so I figured best to ask first.

Thanks everyone!

There is a store in Castrojerez on the square for hikers. He may have a bug net. I have never found the bug repellant works well in Spain for their flies.

I don't think a repellant would work particularly well whilst moving around in an open space. I would take my lead from the Scots during midge season and the beekeepers and, has been suggested, use a netting protector attached to your hat.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Is there a bug spray available in farmacias that works better than me waving my stick in front of my face like a windshield wiper? 😆
2018, SJPDP to Santiago, Sep, Oct, 35 days. No bugs. Except the one dinner with the English guy. He was so annoying. But days later saw him again and he saved me a 10k walk when I was lost.

When I saw this thread I immediately thought of bed bugs. Anyone take on these creepy crawlies ?😀

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.