• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bugging me....

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - 2009
Portuguese Interior (2014)
Hadrian's Wall (2017)
Porto to SdC ( Seaside) 2019
I've heard the various situations concerning bed bugs. As I've noted before (y'all were helpful about communications), I'm going to do Camino Portuguese in September 2014. My latest "fixation" is about bugs - well, insects. Traveling in the late summer, early fall should bring me what kind of unwelcome intrusion by the flying, creeping, crawling critters? Flies? Mosquitoes? Gnats? And, of course, help me out with the best way to combat the little "buggers."
Bon Caminho!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The worst problem's occurs actually in summer months. I had the information that some Albergues had a problem with bed bugs this year, but the problem was solved very fast.

On the Caminho Português, the majority of the Albergues deliver to you when you pay, a bed sheet and a pillow sheet which are dispensable. This means that in the next morning, you just have to throw them into the trash can, and it's done.

Best Regards
Diogo Martins

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In Galizia all the public albergues supply the peregrinos with disposable flat sheet & pillow case. And in some private ones they supply you with real bedsheets & pillow case.

With regards to bedbugs , in my 3 Caminos I have never come across any I must say.

Buen Camino!

Y'all would imply your from the south (US) where it's, ick, :eek: tick central and your worried about a few bed bugs! Actually, the Spanish and local governments took swift action following the outbreak. All albergues, public and private that I stayed at gave out disposable mattress and pillow covers. One hotel was very ify on cleanliness but no bugs. They sell insect proof bedding that you can buy and take with you but isn't really needed. Mosquitos can be a problem at times some places. They sell insect repellant there so buy it only if you need it.

Thank you, all.... that's y'all in southern.... I'm a transplant (from Pennsylvania) but have lived here longer than any one other place! I really wasn't overly concerned about the bedbugs. I heard they are, at least, manageable. I was wondering about mosquitoes, gnats, and other bothersome types of buggers. One more thing to cross off my "worry about" list.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the Camino Ingles the middle of May this year and no biting bugs. Some flies but that was all. Now if you have a problem with dogs, brace yourself. Once you leave the city every home owner has at least 1 big dog, sometimes restrained and sometimes not. Regardless, I had a good time and so will you! Buen Camino

I love intimidating the dogs because they turn out to be such wimps, you just give them the "evil eye" and the two figure gesture about I'm watching you like you are watching me and they turn tail and run off with tails between their legs.

I love intimidating the dogs because they turn out to be such wimps, you just give them the "evil eye" and the two figure gesture about I'm watching you like you are watching me and they turn tail and run off with tails between their legs.

Ahahah, I laughed so hard reading this and imagining people doing it XD

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think Paul Hogan did that to a water buffalo in Crocodile Dundee. I on the other hand really don't want to try it. I'm from the School of Hard Knocks and seem to learn the Hard Way. I'll get my walking partner to do it.

Coincidence or not. Twice we met some kind loose dogs on route between Lisbon and Porto. In a little village on a sacred sunday morning a tiny little devil greeted us by trying to attack.
Due to my ability to make a full hole in one golfswing with my walking poles the little terror choose to survive and turned its tail and disappeared quietly.
So I kept my golfswing in shape and my calves did not hurt. Win win for both ! ;-)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I did the Camino in June to July, I did not stay in Albergues. I did the French Way. I had a travel agent who arranged my hotel from one village to another and had my bag transported from one hotel to another. I started feeling the itchy-scratchy when I arrived Santiago I stayed at Hospederia de San Martin Pinario at Santiago. My bug bites were full blown on my second day in Santiago. I talked to my travel agent and they wanted to make sure it was a bed bug or not just prickly heat or forest bugs. As soon as I got home, I went to an urgent care (my bug bites were not as bad at that time but I showed the MD pictures). True enough they were bed bug bites. I had to let the travel agent know because they had to back track and let the last 3-4 hotels know of the incident. When I was in Arzua, I stayed in a farmhouse-turned-inn. At first I saw a bug on my bed, I smashed it right away and saw blood. I told the owner and she told me, I must have brought it along. My bags weren't there yet at that time. When my bags got there and after shower and changing, I saw a few more that night. I actually caught one and put it in one of the glasses, trapped it there (glass upside-down) for her to see the following day. I didn't mention it again before I left the following day, I just left it there for her to see. But honestly, I don't know where I picked it up. From Arzua I went to o Pedrouzo. Then from O Pedrouzo to Santiago.

I've heard the various situations concerning bed bugs. As I've noted before (y'all were helpful about communications), I'm going to do Camino Portuguese in September 2014. My latest "fixation" is about bugs - well, insects. Traveling in the late summer, early fall should bring me what kind of unwelcome intrusion by the flying, creeping, crawling critters? Flies? Mosquitoes? Gnats? And, of course, help me out with the best way to combat the little "buggers."
Bon Caminho!

At least in Spain I never experienced any ticks/chiggers/gnats/mosquitos while on the Camino, (and I was stationed at Ft. Campbell in the late 80's) There were lots of flies on the Camino when I got to Galicia, just not as pestering as what I experienced at Ft. Campbell and other places in the South.

Thank you, all.... that's y'all in southern.... I'm a transplant (from Pennsylvania) but have lived here longer than any one other place! I really wasn't overly concerned about the bedbugs. I heard they are, at least, manageable. I was wondering about mosquitoes, gnats, and other bothersome types of buggers. One more thing to cross off my "worry about" list.
I'll be walking the Portuguese in May. I take my Nook so I can keep in touch with friends and family. If you want I can provide live insect updates from along my route:).

P.S. Worry about your feet.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We stayed in various albergues in July this year, and never had any problems with bed bugs although I was terrified of finding any. We were fortunate enough to be told at one albergue that it wouldn't take cyclists and later heard that that particular albergue was infested. I promise it had nothing to do with me, lolol. We didn't, personally, have any problems with dogs either. I had taken a whistle in my luggage just in case, but never needed to use it - a whistle could also be used to summon help, so I was glad to have it with me. There were loads of flies but, after a while, you don't really notice them. Have a brilliant time and Buen Camino.

Normaly I should call "FORE " but on this occassion there was an expression that I donot like to repeat in this decent thread ! Ha ha ! ;-)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was eaten alive by mosquitos on the Portuguese route.
I can't use mosquito spray so if I walk this route again, I'll buy one of those bugscreen tents to go over my bed at night!

I can't use mosquito spray so if I walk this route again, I'll buy one of those bugscreen tents to go over my bed at night!
Thank you, Anniesantiago. I will likely have a bit of "de-bugging" lotion of sorts! It is good that one need not worry about how "bad" one smells! I'll, hopefully, shower at the end of the day and lather up again for the next go...

At least in Spain I never experienced any ticks/chiggers/gnats/mosquitos while on the Camino, (and I was stationed at Ft. Campbell in the late 80's) There were lots of flies on the Camino when I got to Galicia, just not as pestering as what I experienced at Ft. Campbell and other places in the South.
bajaracer.... I didn't have a problem on the Frances. I don't even remember much of a fly problem (May / June). Of course, I am used to this Kentucky climate!:eek: Hope you enjoyed Campbell. I was here the first time in the early 80s and came back!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
bajaracer.... I didn't have a problem on the Frances. I don't even remember much of a fly problem (May / June). Of course, I am used to this Kentucky climate!:eek: Hope you enjoyed Campbell. I was here the first time in the early 80s and came back!

Actually, Ft. Campbell was my WORST tour in my military career, it made me get out and transfer to the Coast Guard instead.

Go Navy! or Coast Guard. Both are sailors:)

Normaly I should call "FORE " but on this occassion there was an expression that I donot like to repeat in this decent thread ! Ha ha ! ;-)
OK can you tell me what I said wrong. Over here its a warning that a golf ball is headed right at you. Don't want to cause a international scandal you know.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
OK can you tell me what I said wrong. Over here its a warning that a golf ball is headed right at you. Don't want to cause a international scandal you know.
You do not do anything wrong. It's correct . When we shoot into the wrong direction (with our handicap sometimes ;-) we do the same but I did not shout that in particular to the little terror who tried to attack us on a happy sunday walking between Lisbon and Porto. I will call Fore !! Next time when a little or big devil approaches us and let you know afterwards if it helped !

We got mosquito attacks during our walking at daytime specially when animals like horses ,cows etc were close by.
Once we were in Iceland. There is a lake,Myvattn, the mosquito lake with billions of flying and creeping creatures so we localy bought a small bugscreen over the head. This we took with us in the backpack .very light... In a good fishinggear shop you can buy them. People look at you as you are some alliens but it helps. Mind put your sleeves down and long pants.. Being a pelgrim is a hard job you know

You do not do anything wrong. It's correct . When we shoot into the wrong direction (with our handicap sometimes ;-) we do the same but I did not shout that in particular to the little terror who tried to attack us on a happy sunday walking between Lisbon and Porto. I will call Fore !! Next time when a little or big devil approaches us and let you know afterwards if it helped !
:D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

When was this, Annie? (Month). I'm hoping you don't say October/November!

Bon Caminho!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We just finished from Porto to SdC 2 weeks ago ( late sept 2013) and the only place we had bug problems was at the municipal albergue in Portela.
I was covered with bites from the bed, and I used a sleep sack that had permithrin treatment.
So there are bugs!
Julie
www.ourgrandpromenade.blogspot.com.au
Thanks, Julie. I'll be traveling about the same time next year and appreciate the "heads up". I have come to the conclusion that bed bugs are not as prevalent as some think... they're also not absent!
I am concerned that you used the permithrin...my plan was to us a combatant, too.

Most read last week in this forum

I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back