• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buying SIM card in Pamplona

Jenyat53

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019
I'm wondering about the best place to purchase a SIM card in Pamplona. I'm hoping to pass through rather than spend a night in Pamplona so would like to find a Vodaphone or Moviestar or other good provider not too far off the track.
Has anyone recently purchased a pre paid with some data and some international (including Australia) calling? Many thanks for any advice.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Has anyone recently purchased a pre paid with some data and some international (including Australia) calling?
Yes. There is a Vodafone store near El Corte Ingles toward the bus station (yes, it moved again). Remember stores close midday, and Saturday about noon until Monday's opening.

Calle Sancho el Mayor, 4, 31002 Pamplona, Navarra, Spain
+34 607 10 02 17

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,
when you're walking the standard route, entering Pamplona through Villava, you'll pass by a small Vodafone store.
I bought a SIM card there. It was a nice experience: I had told the lady that I speak only a bit Spanish and she spoke so slowly that I was able to actually communicate very well with her.

cu,
Volker

I love Vodafone and always get my SIM at the Vodafone suggested by Falcon. They speak English there and are used to serving pilgrims. Nothing but good things to say about them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am starting to feel hopelessly confused about SIM cards. I leave in early May. I bought an Orange Card online: it's a "Mundo tarjeta SIM de prepagado, Calidad de Red Orange." I cannot figure out from the materials what I have or how it works.
First of all, it was the wrong size for my phone, so I cut it down to fit (mine is standard, the card is a micro).
I tried to register it via email to simreg@simsforspain.com and the email was returned, unable to deliver.
I see that I have a phone number in the package that was sent. Is that the number I will use to receive calls locally (in Spain) and from the US?
How do I know if there data or calling credit on the phone now?
When I take pictures, will they be stored on this card?
When I make local calls in Spain, will I just call the local numbers, or will I have to add any numbers first?
I just can't picture how to use the damn thing.
Thanks for any help!

I am starting to feel hopelessly confused about SIM cards. I leave in early May. I bought an Orange Card online: it's a "Mundo tarjeta SIM de prepagado, Calidad de Red Orange." I cannot figure out from the materials what I have or how it works.
First of all, it was the wrong size for my phone, so I cut it down to fit (mine is standard, the card is a micro).
I tried to register it via email to simreg@simsforspain.com and the email was returned, unable to deliver.
I see that I have a phone number in the package that was sent. Is that the number I will use to receive calls locally (in Spain) and from the US?
How do I know if there data or calling credit on the phone now?
When I take pictures, will they be stored on this card?
When I make local calls in Spain, will I just call the local numbers, or will I have to add any numbers first?
I just can't picture how to use the damn thing.
Thanks for any help!

If I was you, I would take everything that Orange sent you and when you arrive in Spain, take it to the closest Orange store. They will make it ALL good for you. That would be the wisest course of action. Plus your Spanish SIM card only works in Spain

I used an Orange card from Sims for Spain when we previously walked the CF, but when I tried to purchase another one for this year's Camino, their website and their helpline were both non-working, so it looks like they must be out of business. I would do as @JillGat suggests and go to an Orange store when you get to Pamplona. There are at least three of them within walking distance of the bus station and the Plaza de Castillo. See https://www.google.com/maps/search/orange+store+pamplona+spain/@42.8137721,-1.6435816,16z
Buen Camino...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How much is a SIM card? How much is it per month for data? Is it possible to buy a cheap smartphone at one of the orange stores? If so, how much do they run? Thanks!

I am here in Spain now. Vodafone has (prepaid) 4GB of data plus 150min of phone talking for 20€ for up to 28 days. They didn't charge me for the Sim card but if they do, it is no more than 5€.

Orange has (prepaid) 2GB for 20€ for a month and you can pay 5€ extra for like 150-200min of talk time. I chose Vodafone because a number of Spaniards told me it was the best.

But you must have an unlocked, GSM, phone for a sim card. If you live in the US, you may have a CDMA phone if you are with Verizon.

Personally,
#1 I would confirm with your carrier at home your phone is unlocked and that it is an international GSM phone.
#2 (if yes to above) bring your phone to Spain to either a Vodafone or Orange store. Tell them you want (pre-pago) plan (and for me, as much data as possible). Ask what "promociones" they have. All you have to do is select a prepaid promotion plan. They will put the Sim card in your phone and make sure it works. You show them your Passport and pay the money. Your set for 28 days! If you use all the data beforehand or 28 days lapse, you can pay the money again at the store and generally purchase the same plan again.
#3, if the answer is "no" to #1, I don't know what you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much is a SIM card? How much is it per month for data? Is it possible to buy a cheap smartphone at one of the orange stores? If so, how much do they run? Thanks!

Prepaid SIM cards with data and calling minutes are cheap in Spain, usually less than €25 for a month of service, Vodafone has one of the better deals.
Here is a link to the better deals in prepaid SIM cards. http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Spain
Vodafone Tourist SIM card, 1.5GB of data and 60mins of calls to the USA for €15
https://www.vodafone.es/c/particulares/es/tienda/movil/tourist-in-spain-vf/

Vodafone Smartphone with data and calling minutes for €89.
https://www.vodafone.es/c/particulares/es/tienda/movil/tourist-in-spain-vf/

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What phone service are you using here in the US? Maybe you can use what you already own.

Most of the time, that strategy ain't worth it. My service TMobile offered me 2G service for $$$. Verizon offers some hack plan as well.

My opinion is if you want to rely on smartphone data and are stuck with both a locked phone or CDMA phone, I would go with the smartphone package you mentioned above. If you feel you don't need to rely on the smartphone data, you can wing it pretty easy with Wifi in Spain. Just about every bar has Wifi and there are bars everwhere on the Camino Frances.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Most of the time, that strategy ain't worth it. My service TMobile offered me 2G service for $$$. Verizon offers some hack plan as well.

My opinion is if you want to rely on smartphone data and are stuck with both a locked phone or CDMA phone, I would go with the smartphone package you mentioned above. If you feel you don't need to rely on the smartphone data, you can wing it pretty easy with Wifi in Spain. Just about every bar has Wifi and there are bars everwhere on the Camino Frances.

I was trying to determine if their device is locked or not, I know from experience that all of Verizon's 4G/LTE smartphones are truly unlocked and will take a prepaid SIM card, all other US carriers lock their phones.

I was trying to determine if their device is locked or not, I know from experience that all of Verizon's 4G/LTE smartphones are truly unlocked and will take a prepaid SIM card, all other US carriers lock their phones.

With all due respect, how do you have experience using a Verizon CDMA phone with a Sim card on Spain's GSM network? The two are not compatible.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
With all due respect, how do you have experience using a Verizon CDMA phone with a Sim card on Spain's GSM network? The two are not compatible.

I verified this years ago by installing a Telcel Mexico SIM card in several friends iPhone 5's in Mexico in 2013, also a pilgrim I mentored is on Verizon with a Galaxy S7, I tried my Telcel Mexico SIM card in that phone and it connected to T-Mobile here in the US. Since it connected to the network, I knew they were truly unlocked.
My friend bought the Vodafone Tourist SIM once she landed in Spain and it worked like a champ.
Straight from Verizon. http://www.verizon.com/about/consumer-safety/device-unlocking-policy

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.