• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding SIM card in Barcelona airport Part 2

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Vasco, Meseta, Portugues Coastal
I found the Fly and Tech store in the airport. I did not speak to anyone but saw them advertise a SIM card for 45 euros with just a few gigs of data and limited calling. I figured that may be their best plan. I said forget it. The next morning I went to Vodafone and got a far better deal. Here is the translation I received from Vodafone confirming my purchase:
VF Info: You have 140GB, Min unlimited to National/Romania, +300Min International until 10/22/2023 +Inf m.vodafone.es/info-app or WhatsApp at vodafone.es/tobiwa
This plan cost me 20 euros. I will recharge on October 22 for the same plan for another 20 Euros. Just a little better waiting to go to a Vodafone store the next morning. International included the United States and I believe Canada too.
The list is on their website.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Ok, @lt56ny, youā€™re off! Remind me which camino you were walking. I have a memory of something about the PortuguĆ©s but you are in Barcelona! AragonĆ©s?

I think those vodafone plans are excellent. I donā€™t know if you remember, but I was once worried about re-charging my vodafone plan, because I was not going to be anywhere near a store when it expired. When I posted on the forum, you reassured me. You were right when you told me they would notify me via text message and make it simple to extend the plan.

The one thing that I have found complicated is that they give you a number to text to see your balance, but when I tried to do that, the answer came back that there was no vodafone account with that phone number. So I am assuming that when I text, it comes from my US number somehow. Since you had told me that the GB amount was gigantic, I just didnā€™t worry about it!

Buen camino!

Hi @peregrina2000 aka the incomparable Big L. I am sitting in a wonderful little albergue in Guethary, France. I think I spelled that right. Started this morning from the pilgrim Gite inBayonne. Fantastic hosts there. This fite has only 6 beds and the owner is also 100% awesome. I am working my way to the Vasco Interior to Burgos. On the Meseta (love the meseta) to Leon and then I am going to take a bus to Porto and walk up the coast. Never did anything like this before but, what the heck! The owner of this gite, Jean Luc (Gite Pelerins GEO) said he loved the Vasco. No pilgrims but beautiful.
I flew into Barcelona because Level Airlines had a $425 flight from New York round trip. Fit perfectly so I could visit my daughters first.
With that much data I donā€™t think you will have anything to worry about.
One note, in the past Vodafone changed it prepaid plans on October 1st. They werenā€™t as good as this one data wise.
Last year I think for 20 euros I had 49 gigs. Still plenty. Buen camino!

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi @peregrina2000 aka the incomparable Big L. I am sitting in a wonderful little albergue in Guethary, France. I think I spelled that right. Started this morning from the pilgrim Gite inBayonne. Fantastic hosts there. This fite has only 6 beds and the owner is also 100% awesome. I am working my way to the Vasco Interior to Burgos. On the Meseta (love the meseta) to Leon and then I am going to take a bus to Porto and walk up the coast. Never did anything like this before but, what the heck! The owner of this gite, Jean Luc (Gite Pelerins GEO) said he loved the Vasco. No pilgrims but beautiful.
I flew into Barcelona because Level Airlines had a $425 flight from New York round trip. Fit perfectly so I could visit my daughters first.
With that much data I donā€™t think you will have anything to worry about.
One note, in the past Vodafone changed it prepaid plans on October 1st. They werenā€™t as good as this one data wise.
Last year I think for 20 euros I had 49 gigs. Still plenty. Buen camino!
It's a lovely Albergue/Gite and Jean Luc is sound! What is your next stage?

The one thing that I have found complicated is that they give you a number to text to see your balance, but when I tried to do that, the answer came back that there was no vodafone account with that phone number.
It is possible to control which number sends an SMS text message from a dual SIM phone. From memory, you use an iPhone which is beyond my ken.

If you need support with an Android phone then shout out and I will help. ā˜ŗļø

It is possible to control which number sends an SMS text message from a dual SIM phone. From memory, you use an iPhone which is beyond my ken.

If you need support with an Android phone then shout out and I will help. ā˜ŗļø
I have an IPhone ans I am all set. Even though I have a Spanish number it does not effect my family from calling or writing me on WhatsApp from their phone.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@peregrina2000 Vodafone Spain also allows balance and other enquiries via WhatsApp, see https://ayudacliente.vodafone.es/pa...o/contacta-con-vodafone-a-traves-de-whatsapp/
Thanks, I tried that. But my whatsapp number always remains the same, so it is my US number and the vodafone app doesnā€™t recognize it. I know there is an actual number I can call to get the balance, but I forgot to ask for it last year. And since I had so much data, it just wasnā€™t an issue.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Today I am having lunch now and on my way to IrĆŗn. From there I start the Vasco.
Buen camino, @lt56ny! The Vasco is a wonderful route, lots of beauty. You probably know that the first stages are a lot of asphalt, and there is a gorgeous mountain alternative, called the Saiatz route. But it gets a bit remote, and I was glad to have a companion. So if youā€™re sticking to the other route, I think thatā€™s a good idea.

You probably know that the first stages are a lot of asphalt
The first stage is not bad in that regard. But once in the valley headed towards Zegama, there are two flat days with a lot of pavement. But I found the walk quite pleasant, and the food superb. And one of the best albergues ever is in Beasain.
Buen camino!

Today I am having lunch now and on my way to IrĆŗn. From there I start the Vasco.
We found this section into Irun very scary with traffic. Do you know if the off road route is open?

Attachments

• IMG-20230902-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20230902-WA0013.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 10
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buen camino, @lt56ny! The Vasco is a wonderful route, lots of beauty. You probably know that the first stages are a lot of asphalt, and there is a gorgeous mountain alternative, called the Saiatz route. But it gets a bit remote, and I was glad to have a companion. So if youā€™re sticking to the other route, I think thatā€™s a good idea.
I will be sticking to the route.
Doing variants without help is a problem for this explorer. I am at the albergue in IrĆŗn and i am off on the Vasco tomorrow.
The walk from Bayonne has its high and low moments. Sometimes the markers are non existent. Relied on GPS a lot. I didnā€™t walk to Biarritz. I went straight to Bidart.
The first half was pretty bad. Lots of industrial dreck. Better the second part. Albergues in Bayonne and Guethary were great. Highly recommend them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Peregrina 2000! First of all, all my respects since I have read that you did the Saiatz route. I live in Beasain and I know part of that route perfectly. This morning, for example, I walked from Beasain and walked beyond Mount Murumendi on the way to Santa Marina. It is certainly a spectacular route, traveled by mountaineers but I have never seen pilgrims in that area so congratulations again. When reviewing maps, I see that the stage from Bidania extends to Zegama. I think that if someone asked me for advice, I would recommend that from Mount Murumendi in order to keep the Saiatz, you head to Mount Usurbe, with spectacular views of the valley. And from Usurbe mountain, to walk down to Beasain joining the Vasco trail from the valley and to go to the albergue hospitalero that certainly is a jem. From Beasain on next day you I would keep the Vasco vĆ­a Olaberria, Idiazabal and Segura, until Zegama. Segura is a very nice small medium age village so I recommend to keep this Vasco trail once you arrive to Beasain. Around here we all use the Wikiloc app and it is very useful. especially if the fog comes in and the trails are lost from sight. all the best!!
From Murumendi via Usurbe to Beasain: https://eu.wikiloc.com/ibilbide-sen...ium=app&utm_campaign=share&utm_source=6300530

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.