• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SIM Card doubt - Arriving from Paris

Edupuschi

Time of past OR future Camino
April-2024
Hello,

I'm preparing for my first Camino (Frances) starting from SJPP on april 30th. My international flight will land in Paris and I will get the trains to SJPP. All set on regards to transportation, but I'm still in doubt on the best way to use a simcard during the travel.

The first alternative would be getting a Sim Card in Paris right on arrival. I believe that the advantage would be having conection from the start (and specially on the initial rounds that are a bit scary for a novice) but I'm not sure if the french SIM would have the same coverage as a spanish SIM on the Camino, and also don't know if I would be able to top up the credits at Spain after 30 days on a french SIM.

The other alternative would be staying offline (and rely on WiFi, which I believe would be rare) on the first rounds, and get a Spanish SIM in Pamplona, which I believe it's the first major city that we walk into Spain.

I would appreciate if veteran pilgrins could give me some advice and share your experiences.

Thank you very much, and Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The other alternative would be staying offline (and rely on WiFi, which I believe would be rare
You will find wifi at virtually all bars and albergues - it won't be rare at all.

If your phone accepts an eSIM you could set one up that will work on both France and Spain with a company like Airalo

You will find wifi at virtually all bars and albergues - it won't be rare at all.

If your phone accepts an eSIM you could set one up that will work on both France and Spain with a company like Airalo

Thanks for the information, Trecile

Unfortunately my phone does not accept eSIM, so I'll have to use a regular SIM Card. Anyway, good to know that WiFi is not so rare, specially until I get to Pamplona.

Best Regards,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You won't get lost if that is one of your worries, all things being equal of course.

A French SIM will work the same in Spain as in France and vice versa. I'm not sure re topping up though - you would ideally be doing that online yourself as opposed to any other way. All providers must have this option you would assume.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi @Edupuschi .

Congratulations on your upcoming Camino.
The first is always very special!

SIMs can cause a bit of angst at first and there seem to be so many different solutions.
And of course we all want to stay connected as soon as we arrive!

As mentioned above, it is very hard to get lost on the those early days of the Frances and many places have WiFi. So don't be concerned if you have no SIM connection at first.

I tend to be one of those "belt and braces" type of guys or a "Be Prepared" Boy Scout. So I plan ahead a bit.........and always have a Plan B.

The good news is that SIMS are easy to buy along the way. Shops, airports, rail stations etc.
So for the sake of 15 mins at your arrival airport, you could pick one up, explaining that you need to use it in Spain as well. I think all EU SIMs have to be able to be used in all EU countries without additional charges. Though don't quote me. (Maybe someone can confirm?)

Often these SIMs at ports of entry are not the best deal though.....but until you get something better, if you really want to get conneced fast....... (some research might help, or shared experiences from other Pligrims here)

If you have the time and interest, it's worth reading reviews about the various carriers. Network coverage, costs, ease of setup etc. I did this last time as I was going to be walking in a remote area and good coverage was important. I'm sure the Frances won't be a problem though.

So back to the "belt and braces".

I ordered my SIMs online before I left home, for delivery to my home address.
As I wasn't sure how easy they would be to use, or how long it would take to arrive, I ordered two different SIMs from two different online suppliers. They were only abour 20 Euros each. (they took about a month to get to Australia)

So on arrival in Spain, I tried the SIMs.
They had to be activated in Spain.

I favoured the Movistar SIM as it had good reviews. But I found the activation a bit complicated whilst balancing everything on my lap at Attocha Station in Madrid!

So then I tried the Vodafone SIM and it fired up right away! So I stuck with that for the next 2 months.
Data top ups were easy, and could be done at many supermarkets or 'tabacs'. (I use a lot of data) And online too of course though the translation of the different options was tricky at times.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of other advice shortly and amongst all of it will be a solution you feel fits your needs.

You won't get lost if that is one of your worries, all things being equal of course.

A French SIM will work the same in Spain as in France and vice versa. I'm not sure re topping up though - you would ideally be doing that online yourself as opposed to any other way. All providers must have this option you would assume.
Thank you Dave! Best Regards!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi @Edupuschi .

SIMs can cause a bit of angst at first and there seem to be so many different solutions.

As mentioned above, it is very hard to get lost on the those early days of the Frances and many places have WiFi. So don't be concerned if you have no SIM connection at first.

I tend to be one of those "belt and braces" type of guys or a "Be Prepared" Boy Scout. So I plan ahead a bit.........and always have a Plan B.

The good news is that SIMS are easy to buy along the way. Shops, airports, rail stations etc.
So for the sake of 15 mins at your arrival airport, you could pick one up, explaining that you need to use it in Spain as well. I think all EU SIMs have to be able to be used in all EU countries without additional charges. Though don't quote me. (Maybe someone can confirm?)

Often these SIMs at ports of entry are not the best deal though.....but until you get something better, if you really want to get conneced fast....... (some research might help, or shared experiences from other Pligrims here)

If you have the time and interest, it's worth reading reviews about the various carriers. Network coverage, costs, ease of setup etc. I did this last time as I was going to be walking in a remote area and good coverage was important. I'm sure the Frances won't be a problem though.

As I wasn't sure how easy they would be to use, or how long it would take to arrive, I ordered two different SIMs from two different online suppliers. They were only abour 20 Euros each. (they took about a month to get to Australia)

I favoured the Movistar SIM as it had good reviews. But I found the activation a bit complicated whilst balancing everything on my lap at Attocha Station in Madrid!

So then I tried the Vodafone SIM and it fired up right away! So I stuck with that for the next 2 months.
Data top ups were easy, and could be done at many supermarkets or 'tabacs'. (I use a lot of data) And online too of course though the translation of the different options was tricky at times.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of other advice shortly and amongst all of it will be a solution you feel fits your needs.
Thanks for the kind and detailed answer, Rob! Will definitely take a look on your YouTube channel for more tips on the Camino!

On regards to the SIM, so far with all the fellow pilgrim's kind answers, I guess that it will be okay to be relying on WiFi until I get to Pamplona on the third day...less variables to have a spanish SIM for the jouney.

Downloading the offline maps/apps should be fine for the start of the journey (and maybe it will be a blessing to stay a bit offline so I can get used faster to keep my mind on the Camino and not at the usual problems back home most of the time).

Best Regards!

On regards to the SIM, so far with all the fellow pilgrim's kind answers, I guess that it will be okay to be relying on WiFi until I get to Pamplona on the third day...less variables to have a spanish SIM for the jouney.
I think that is a good choice. In case of an emergency you could pay the higher costs of an international call. Or, in my opinion, it would be easy to find someone willing to lend you their phone.

It is my understanding that this is true for calls (have roaming turned on). I doubt that this is true for cellular data though.

,,, I think all EU SIMs have to be able to be used in all EU countries without additional charges. Though don't quote me. (Maybe someone can confirm?)...
I concur.
I've used my Spanish SIM in 4 European countries without a glitch for calls and data.
For top-ups, I use the app DING anywhere in the world(presently in Morocco).
Happy travel.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The EU requirement is that all SIMs purchased in the EU must roam for calls without extra charge.

There is no requirement for this to happen with data but the big firms like Vodafone usually offer this service (free data roaming) but it is not universally available and so you must check carefully before you buy the SIM that the plan associated with the SIM allows free data roaming.

Each company within each country is separate and so you can't recharge a Vodafone France plan by buying a voucher in Spain. What you can do is to log into the Vodafone France website and use your credit card to recharge your plan and you can do this anywhere that you have access to the internet.

Also, please note that almost all plans from all providers are for 28 days, not a month or 30 days.

Most major providers will allow you to purchase a SIM card over the internet and will post it to you at your home address before you leave, if that is what you want.

I always buy a SIM card when I arrive in the country. I always buy a Vodafone Spain SIM card and recharge it using my credit card over the internet. I like Vodafone Spain because I am able to roam in France, Portugal and the UK for data and, depending on the deal, I get around 100GB of data, 600 minutes of international telephone calls and unlimited calling within Spain for €20 for 28 days.

To clear up some confusion, the EU rules for "Roam like at Home" are:

When you travel outside your EU home country to another EU country, you don't have to pay any additional charges to use your mobile phone. This is known as "roaming" or "roam like at home". Your calls (to mobile and fixed phones), text messages (SMS) and data use (web browsing, music and video streaming etc.) are charged at domestic rates, i.e. the same price as calls, texts and data within your home country.
So if you have a mobile phone contract concluded in France you pay the same for the use of your mobile phone (phone calls, sending text messages, internet access) in Spain as you would in France.

And if you have a mobile contract concluded in Spain you pay the same for the use of your mobile phone (phone calls, sending text messages, internet access) in France as you would in Spain.

Obviously, the mobile phone charges in the first case are not identical to the mobile phone charges in the second case. My guess is that these price differences between network operators of two different countries does not matter much for a foreign traveller and for just a month.

The EU regulation about roaming is mainly for people who have mobile phone contracts and for the network operators involved but it also applies to prepaid SIM cards - see "I have a pre-paid card" on the website mentioned earlier. There is also a FAQ.

Last edited:
In all the years I've walked, I've never ordered/used a SIM in France except the year we walked from Lourdes.
You're in SJPP one, maybe 2 days.
If there is an emergency, there are (literally) hundreds of other pilgrims between SJPP and Pamplona who are going to have a phone, especially in April.
IF I get a SIM, I get it at Vodafone in Pamplona - Joe gets a burner phone there every year that includes phone service in Spain - both are under €25.
Last year, I used my International Plan and simply paid $100/month for service.
It worked great.
This year I will do the same.
To keep in touch with my walking group, my family, I used email, Signal, or WhatsApp.
There is internet in every village along the route.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello,

I'm preparing for my first Camino (Frances) starting from SJPP on april 30th. My international flight will land in Paris and I will get the trains to SJPP. All set on regards to transportation, but I'm still in doubt on the best way to use a simcard during the travel.

The first alternative would be getting a Sim Card in Paris right on arrival. I believe that the advantage would be having conection from the start (and specially on the initial rounds that are a bit scary for a novice) but I'm not sure if the french SIM would have the same coverage as a spanish SIM on the Camino, and also don't know if I would be able to top up the credits at Spain after 30 days on a french SIM.

The other alternative would be staying offline (and rely on WiFi, which I believe would be rare) on the first rounds, and get a Spanish SIM in Pamplona, which I believe it's the first major city that we walk into Spain.

I would appreciate if veteran pilgrins could give me some advice and share your experiences.

Last September, we went first to Lyon, one of our favorite cities. Cuisine makes one cry, but in a good way. Excellent way to kick off a camino. We discovered that an "EU roaming" Lyca card, good for a month, rechargeable and incredibly cheap with plenty of minutes and data. We were skeptical because of the cheap price and we insisted that at the corner Tabac where we bought it, the young man install it and test it. We never had a problem with it.

To be honest, this was a fallback; there's wifi in many places. But there were times when we needed it and we were glad that we did. We were walking for exactly a month and we did not have to recharge.

Hi @Edupuschi .

How did you order a Vodafone sim for delivery to your Australia address? I've tried this and am told it can't be done (off in first camino in april)

How did you order a Vodafone sim for delivery to your Australia address? I've tried this and am told it can't be done (off in first camino in april)

There are websites that sell SIMs. Not that I could recommend any in particular, as they take ages to send them.
I think I used this site.
Do check reviews first though.
There might be better sites.

There are websites that sell SIMs. Not that I could recommend any in particular, as they take ages to send them.
I think I used this site.
Do check reviews first though.
There might be better sites.
Many thanks, I'll give it a go

A word of caution if you choose to purchase your SIM card in Pamplona, like we did last May…
1) When we arrived in Pamplona on Saturday afternoon, Orange and Vodaphone were both closed and did not reopen until Monday… this meant that on Sunday, we could not call the owner of our apartment in Puente La Reina … no bars or restaurants around so I begged the young shop keeper to call for us..
2) Check to ensure that the SIM card has been properly activated before you leave the store…We finally bought a SIM card in Estella but it took 3 more days to have it activated… the owners of the casas where we stayed tried to help us but it wasn’t until we met a Spanish speaking friend from Day 2 who insisted on sorting it out for us… He spent 40 minutes on the phone with Orange…

I’m in Australia. Last year, I changed my local plan to Vodafone from Telstra a week before I left. I then paid $5 a day for international and had my same number and plan (data included) then when I came home, I just switched back to Telstra. It was all very convenient and keeping your own number helps with bank codes etc.
Vodafone worked well in France, Spain and Portugal.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My wife and I have used SIM Corner for our past couple of trips. If we are away for more than 30 days, which we have been, we order two or three to cover the period, and stagger the start dates that they will be activated. There are other companies that will do this. Note that there is no guarantee about the carrier nor the country of the SIM. On our last trip, in Portugal, my wife had Spanish SIMs, and I had ones linked to a UK carrier.

Normally we activate the first as soon as we leave Australia, and change to these during the flight. If we need more than one each, the last ones are timed so we have a service until we have returned to Australia.

Thanks for the information, Trecile

Unfortunately my phone does not accept eSIM, so I'll have to use a regular SIM Card. Anyway, good to know that WiFi is not so rare, specially until I get to Pamplona.

Best Regards,
2018 was my 1st walk. We got orange sum SJP an did not wk in Spain, so brought a new on 2924orange sim In Pamplona and was fabulous.able to get credits along way. However used WiFi everywhere. Only used sim to rarely bk, mostly to speak to my friend when we weren't together. However things may have changed 2024. All the best I'm back next year

I always get an Orange sim last time was 20gb I think it was €20 lasts for ages also for security of being able to call. I wouldn’t get a sim in France. As you will get Wi-Fi in airport train station and train to Bordeaux/Bayonne and then train to St Jean this leg of the journey is beautiful you won’t need Wi-Fi look out the window. You will get Wi-Fi in town as someone else stated download maps of areas that are giving you anxiety of not knowing where to go ie FRANCE BAYONNE ST JEAN PAMPLONA until you get used to the yellow arrows. You’re going on an adventure enjoy the journey👊

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I noticed it on this page

But I have never tried to pre-purchase a SIM card myself and possibly they may refuse to post one outside of Spain.

€20 for 140Gb of data, 800 international minutes and unlimited free calling within Spain sounds like a great deal to me.

Of course, you can also pay €15 or €10 for less data and calls.

I noticed it on this page

But I have never tried to pre-purchase a SIM card myself and possibly they may refuse to post one outside of Spain.

€20 for 140Gb of data, 800 international minutes and unlimited free calling within Spain sounds like a great deal to me.

Of course, you can also pay €15 or €10 for less data and calls.
Yes, I asked the question and they dont mail overseas.

Hello,

Lots of free Wifi! Not to worry.
We usually leave our home country “roaming” on for the first 24 hours, then use Wifi.
We have not (on more than one occasion ) had good luck with Orange SIM from France. Either at the airport CDG or Orange stores. Poor service. Problems trying to top up after the first 30 days.
Personally, we now wait until Pamplona to get our Vodaphone SIM.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello,

What I did and what I will do again are two different things.

Like you I flew into Paris and started in SJPDP. I didn't get a French SIM because I thought it beneficial to have a Spanish phone number, so I waited to get It until Pamplona.

I brought two phones and used my normal USA phone for the first week paying outrageous VERIZON overseas fees. Never again! I then purchased a Spanish SIM for my other phone and only used it for the rest of my Camino.

For my next Camino this coming May, I plan on purchasing a Spanish SIM before I leave and install it as soon as I land. I've seen them available on AMAZON. I'm also probably going to buy a new phone soon since the screen on my phone is damaged. I'm going to look into phone capable of multiple eSIM. That way I can have one phone capable of two phone numbers. My daughter did this on a recent trip to Italy and she said it worked well.

Hello,

Hi I am arriving in Paris 28th and will start from SJPP May 1. What trains have you organised from Paris- cheers Al

Hi I am arriving in Pa and ris 28th and will start from SJPP May 1. What trains have you organised from Paris- cheers Al
I'm planning on buying a "Free Mobile" sim card in Paris. It is reloadable online. Service maybe be limited in Spain but we are heading back to France for a longer stay after the camino so I'm prepared to put up with the limitations on data (which I doubt will impact me if I use wifi when available).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We usually leave our home country “roaming” on for the first 24 hours, then use Wifi.
We have not (on more than one occasion ) had good luck with Orange SIM from France. Either at the airport CDG or Orange stores. Poor service. Problems trying to top up after the first 30 days.
We are leaving Oz 27th to Paris and start from SJPP 1 May. I used this sim last year and will again. https://www.ebay.com.au/str/gstarlink?_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l2563 . ps what trains /cost have you organised - I haven't looked into that yet, We are recovering in Bayonne a couple of nights.

Hi I am arriving in Paris 28th and will start from SJPP May 1. What trains have you organised from Paris- cheers Al
Cheers Al,

I'm also arriving in Paris on the 28th, and on the 29th I will get the 10:04 train from Paris Montparnasse to Bayonne, connecting to SJPP 14:22 and arriving 15:23.

Both tickets were purchased in advance on SNCF Connect Website.

Best Regards,

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.