• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caldo Gallego!

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
My latest crop of berza/couve/collard greens for Caldo Gallego - true I should have allowed the leaves to mature a bit more but I cannot wait! 33e7ea55-d6c9-4c17-9648-4fd6b7f95f34 (1).jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This wonderful green can be found in abundance at the moment in our garden here in the Azores where it is also a staple food.

I have been making my rendition of Cauldo Galacia for many years , ever since discovering it while walking there . It’s hard to find good chorizo. In fact I won a cooking award with it on a Holland American cooking event .

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
As a gluten free person, I lived off of caldo gallego on my caminos. I'm going to search now for a recipe as it would be perfect for this cold dark day in DC.
There are numerous ferretería shops in SdC that sell the seeds and the plants are easy to grow even in a pot!

I have been making my rendition of Cauldo Galacia for many years , ever since discovering it while walking there . It’s hard to find good chorizo. In fact I won a cooking award with it on a Holland American cooking event .
There are numerous ferretería shops in SdC that sell the seeds and the plants are easy to grow even in a pot!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Living in a country where pork is difficult to purchase and chorizo being not so kosher, I fake a chorizo with sliced veal sausage similar to the German weisswurst fried in smoked paprika, garlic and cumin seeds - it works!

Que aproveche! I should be back in the land of caldo gallego and pulpo in a couple of days. Just the stuff in this weather! :)

€149,-
As a gluten free person, I lived off of caldo gallego on my caminos. I'm going to search now for a recipe as it would be perfect for this cold dark day in DC.
A very similar Caldo can be found in our Fredericksburg area and of course also in the DC area at Zaytinya ( or they didn't last fall).

A very similar Caldo can be found in our Fredericksburg area and of course also in the DC area at Zaytinya ( or they didn't last fall).
I recently watched a video in youtube about Ucranian food and they have a caldo ( potatoes, vegetables, beans, carrots, meat). Caldo is so basic that there must be something similar in many countries. In my opinion Caldo Galego is "different" because its vegetables ( berza and grelo). Cabbage is also acceptable. In discussion the one made with green beans, called Caldo de Fréjoles ( in west Asturias and east Galicia).

My latest crop of berza/couve/collard greens for Caldo Gallego - true I should have allowed the leaves to mature a bit more but I cannot wait! View attachment 140220
The posts following yours refer to different versions, and I recall at least one thread in recent memory where people shared their own recipes, or online recipes. I think I remember correctly that @MariaSP is from Galicia and well qualified to speak on the topic...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh MAN! Definitely miss THAT BABY....
Here it is - part of my Menu Peregrino in Casa Barbadello ... and YES - that CALDRON slightly behind the water bottle was all mine - IIRC I got 3 full plates\bowls out of that....
Fond memories indeed

Attachments

• 20220618_182849.jpg
    20220618_182849.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Just finishing lunch in a restaurant in Cacabelos. Including my first caldo gallego of the Camino. Though if the graffiti I spotted on the way into town is to be believed then Bierzo should be part of Galicia anyway :)

IMG_20230126_142118.jpg

Just finishing lunch in a restaurant in Cacabelos. Including my first caldo gallego of the Camino. Though if the graffiti I spotted on the way into town is to be believed then Bierzo should be part of Galicia anyway :)

View attachment 140328
Yes, Cacabelos is in the "Galician part" of El Bierzo (1/3 of El Bierzo), but today Galician is only spoken from Villafranca (not included).

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It seem Caldo Galacia is different at each cafe , what common ingredients do you recognize to call Caldo ??
Potatoes, beans and either grelos (turnip tops), repollo (cabbage) or berzas (collard greens). Those are the basics ingredients. The broth is typically made with pork (salted ribs or ham) and lard, but the meat does not go into the caldo. You may find chorizo in it, but it's not essential. If you have the broth, the potatoes, the beans and one of the 3 vegetables I mentioned earlier, you have caldo gallego.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Potatoes, beans and either grelos (turnip tops), repollo (cabbage) or berzas (collard greens). Those are the basics ingredients. The broth is typically made with pork (salted ribs or ham) and lard, but the meat does not go into the caldo. You may find chorizo in it, but it's not essential. If you have the broth, the potatoes, the beans and one of the 3 vegetables I mentioned earlier, you have caldo gallego.
I always replace the lard with some olive oil.

My latest crop of berza/couve/collard greens for Caldo Gallego - true I should have allowed the leaves to mature a bit more but I cannot wait! View attachment 140220
I grow Portugese Kale in my garden in northern California, I brought the first batch of seeds back from Galicia and now buy them online, they are "Tronchuda beira" It's a very hardy plant, tolerates cold and heat and drought. Also a biennial, I usually can keep it for 2 years before it goes to seed. I think it would do well in a lot of gardens, esp in the Pacific Northwest or southern US or other relatively mild climates. It is very versatile, you just cut the big leaves off the outside and let it get more stalky. I make my own version of caldo gallego, less pork fat, but still delicious and nutritious and I always have plenty of kale in it!

I resurrected this thread because I am looking for a good recipe for this staple Galician soup from forum members who have experimented and found one they loved while in Spain. Sure, the internet is full of options of recipes, but I prefer to ask those of you who love walking the Caminos in Spain and have tweaked and perfected your own recipes. I always seem to have kale and spinach on hand...no turnip greens. Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I start out with about 12 inches of chorizo sliced about 1/4 inch in a large casserole with a little oil, after a couple minutes they start to pucker and give off the pimenton(smoked paprika) I sprinkle anothe r two heaping tsp of pementon into the sausage and add 1/2 cup diced onion and some diced green pepper and stir to coat everything . Add 1 cup tomatoes , then chicken stock, maybe 3 cups.stir& simmer. Add 1 tsp black pepper , 1 tsp Italian seasoning, 1 tsp salt and garlic. Chop up 2 cups potatoes , 1 cup diced carrots , add and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Then add a small bag of frozen peas. Simmer until soft. You can add some cayenne pepper if you like some heat. Add water to keep liquid for vegetables. Add 1/3 bag frozen spinach ,If too wet add some dissolved corn starch . When all veg is soft , and ready to serve you can stir in some sour cream, optional. Serve with crusty bread in a large soup bowl. All Galacia winter stored supplies

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.